"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-04-2008, 10:05 AM   #101
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
ahhh but, they are sogood!

Old 06-04-2008, 11:06 AM   #102
Senior Cook

I don't keep any chocolate,sweets, chips etc in the house as I know I'll just eat all of it (I work from home as well which doesn't help) - and I'll be doing so well BUT then DH will come home with eg a slice of cheesecake because he feels like cheesecake of which he'll then have 2 forkfuls and guess who eats the rest ?

Old 06-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #103
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiduc View Post
Hi Babe,
You`re beginning to worry me! I notice, from message 14, that you are 70 years old - so losing 6 pounds in a week is not healthy, or MAY NOT be healthy at your age. You say you`ve not felt very well - how long have you felt unwell?

I could tell you all the accepted wisdom - as we age we need to eat less or small meals 4/5 or 5/6 times a day are better than 2/3. However, I`m not going to - I would suggest that you speak with your Doctor (in the UK we call them a GP or General Practioner) and tell him/her that you have lost 6 pounds in a week and appear to have lost your appetite. Please, contact your doctor and have a chat with him/her.

All the best,
Archiduc
oh thank you so much for your concern. the appetite seems to be back. or at least partly back. not to concerned that the six pounds seems like a lot very quickly. i seem to put it back on, just as quickly.

i have been eating little bits all day long and that seems to work.

really do need to lose about forty pounds. last summer i had a broken foot. the morphine i was given for pain really killed my appetite. i lost seventeen pounds in six weeks. gained most of it back.

you are very kind to warn me of dangers.

babe
Old 06-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #104
Master Chef

DW is down about 2lbs, I am down about 4lbs. Neither of us have been eating as much lately, and eating a lot more salads. In fact, a lot of the time she has to push me to make supper for everyone as her and the kids are hungry and I am not.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:24 AM   #105
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
I'm down 5 lbs.,but I'm afraid to get on the scale now, the last few days I really blew my diet, daughters softball team made semi-finals so the team and parents all stopped to eat out on the way home from the last 2 games. We ordered bulk so I had to eat pizza and chicken wings. Oh well back to being strict this week, unless of corse they win tonight then they go to finals and I'm sure we'll all go out again.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:31 AM   #106
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Good to see you Mikki!
The battery ran out on our scale and I haven't remembered to get a new one.
That's probably good, I don't think I'l be happy once I replace it.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #107
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to meshoo96
I went to the docs and he said that I am borderline for having hypothyroid. Might explain a lot. DH and I are going to start using the gym in our club house. ...t's free for residents, all you have to do is pay $2.50 for the IDs. We shall see what happens. I don't want to be on meds for the rest of my life,
Old 06-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #108
Assistant Cook

Hello all,.... i just joined this forum....and i am also one of you .... who is determined to loose weight.... but just cant give up on my favorite calorie food... :(
I started it from June 2nd when i realized i gained 4pounds instead of loosing...so now almost daily i am trying to hit the gym for atleast 30min....and having one sandwitch for lunch with carrots & cellery as snack or watermelon .... and at night also i am trying to eat less.... because rice is our primary food....but i don't know what else i can prepare that is less in calories and at the same time is economical..
plz do suggest me some more ideas for making healthy food...and loose weight. I want to loose 5 pounds in this month. Will i be able to????
help me out plz....
Old 06-10-2008, 12:18 AM   #109
Master Chef

Any updates? Haven't lost any but haven't gained any either just kinda holding where I am at right now it seems.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:59 AM   #110
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhenku View Post
Hello all,.... i just joined this forum....and i am also one of you .... who is determined to loose weight.... but just cant give up on my favorite calorie food... :(
I started it from June 2nd when i realized i gained 4pounds instead of loosing...so now almost daily i am trying to hit the gym for atleast 30min....and having one sandwitch for lunch with carrots & cellery as snack or watermelon .... and at night also i am trying to eat less.... because rice is our primary food....but i don't know what else i can prepare that is less in calories and at the same time is economical..
plz do suggest me some more ideas for making healthy food...and loose weight. I want to loose 5 pounds in this month. Will i be able to????
help me out plz....
You might try brown rice and other whole grains like barley, quinoa, oats, etc. White rice is not blood sugar friendly. You can introduce other grains a little at a time so the change isn't as drastic. I tend to prefer the whole grains, but many people need to work up to it. Also watch the sodium, which I finds affects me in several ways. Are you getting enough protein? Eggs and tuna are good, affordable protein, and you can do so much with them!

I have been trying to make wiser choices, loosely following Weight Watcher's Core ideals. No cheese and no nuts is very difficult, and I think they're both quite healthy in controlled moderation, so *if* I have something, I just make sure to consider what these core foods would be in points if I were counting points. I hate the counting you see, can't be bothered. But trying to be mindful of the choices I make. Sooner or later that darned scale has got to move ... or does it? Lots of fresh fruits and vegies as you can afford to work them into your diet. I buy what's on sale, period.

Gosh I hope I see more results soon. I need more exercise!