Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree it would be very nice if I could do that too, but I find that even a taste of something like that puts me in a serious craving mode similar to an alcoholic never being able to drink again. So far I've lost 40 lbs on under fifty carbs a day, sometimes half of that, in the last seven months. I know I could have done better with more exercise though. I see to it that my Souschef gets his carbs with my low carb dinners, but even at that, he's lost 11 lbs, and he's happy too.

That is exactly how it has worked for me in the past. I'll give it a try for a few weeks and if it is not working I will go back to my low carb routine. In the past I've had some success with eating single servings of carbs away from home, as a special treat. I could not do what you are doing, Souschef would have to keep his carb treats locked in the trunk of his car and eat them in the driveway! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Forty pounds is great, low carb is definitely a great way to lose. I lost most of my weight early on and now I really need to concentrate on portion size and reducing calories, even if I stick with low carb. I'm at the point where even the carb calories are starting to count! :(

Good luck to you and your Souschef!

Last edited:
Yep I too have done this plan many times over the years, and every time I tried to add more carbs after reaching my goal weight, I've gained everything back, and sometimes more. I'm convinced I'm a carboholic! I too lost most of the weight at the start this time and now it's much slower. Dang everything slows down with aging! When I was young I did it to look better, but now I'm more concerned with my health. If only I could walk for long distances, it would sure help.
I know I also need to pay more attention to calorie count, and portion size, to start loosing again.

I don't eat enough. Just one meal a day. Since I was able to order a decent loaf of bread on line I almost always have a piece of buttered toast with my morning coffee. I simply do not get hungry when I'm at work.

I'm not so sure about that. Maybe in the far northern latitudes, where wheat, rice, barley, buckwheat, millet, potatoes, etc., don't grow well, but the diet of most of the ancient agricultural societies was based on some sort of grain.
I guess it depends on your definition of many. I think that low carb would be accurate for the traditional diets of all the Arctic and most of the sub-arctic people. It was also traditional for at least some of the tribes of the Great Plains, of the Namgis First Nation (British Columbia), and of the Maasai.

I guess it depends on your definition of many. I think that low carb would be accurate for the traditional diets of all the Arctic and most of the sub-arctic people. It was also traditional for at least some of the tribes of the Great Plains, of the Namgis First Nation (British Columbia), and of the Maasai.

I guess I'm not sure why you specified indigenous people. They seem to be (and have always been) a small minority of the world population and you're talking mostly about geographic areas where grains don't grow well, if at all (without modern farming methods).

I guess I'm not sure why you specified indigenous people. They seem to be (and have always been) a small minority of the world population and you're talking mostly about geographic areas where grains don't grow well, if at all (without modern farming methods).
I specified indigenous people, because they were (some still are) eating a low carb diet long before the 1800s. I wasn't saying that most people ate a low carb diet, just that some people were.

There were ethnic Swedes and Norwegians growing and eating grain and potatoes in the same climate as the Sámis were eating a hunter-gatherer / pastoralist diet. And of course the Maasai have neighbours that eat a lot of carbs.

I did it!
Six months ago the doctor gave me six months to bring down my sugar, a1c, blood pressure, cholesterol, and liver enzyme numbers, or she was writing prescriptions, which I didnt want. I was concerned that once I started down that route, I'd be depending on medication instead of healthy habits for the rest of my life.

Yesterday I went for the follow up visit to see how I did. With one exception, every single number was down in the healthy range. BMI, blood pressure, all the labs. LDL is still a little high, but it fell from 199 to 138. She offered meds for that, but didn't push, said I could just keep doing what I'm doing.

I started right on the line of overweight / obese. I made it to just inside the line of healthy weight. My next goal.is to get that down into the middle of the range somewhere so that I don't have to worry that every bite is going to but me back over. Besides, i have a very small.frame, so I should be in the lower end of the range anyhow. No big-boned excuses here!

I'm not using any special diet, just old fashioned reducing stuff. Smaller portions, smaller plates, less caffeine, less alcohol, reducing fatty or sugary things, walking at night, getting off my butt and moving more, more fruits and vegetables, stop eating when I'm not hungry anymore.

I am so pleased!

Back
Top Bottom