"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #1111
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Thanks for the encouragement Addie!

I really don't have a restrictive diet, I still eat everything. Sugar is what seems to be a problem for me at times, but luckily I am able to control those cravings like never before. All it takes is a couple of weeks of restricting my sugar intake to curb the cravings. But to be honest after a vacation or holiday, my body is ready for more healthy foods and the sugar cravings start to subside a bit. It's still a bit of a struggle, but not like it used to be.

My only added sugar is the Natural Bliss vanilla creamer, and a teaspoon of raw sugar on my oatmeal. Yeah, here and there I'll eat sweets, but I'm not having crazy cravings for it anymore. I still eat pasta, rice, bread etc.. but not in large quantities anymore.

Over the last 3 years I've lost 80 pounds, with the last 30 coming off in the last year and a half, and I am totally OK with the slow weight loss. I will have months of a plateau, but it no longer bothers me, I see it as maintaining, and since I am not really dieting, I see that as a huge success!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #1112
Assistant Cook

I guess I am the lucky one...gaining weight is SO hard for me...maybe that's because of my steak diet :D

Artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #1113
Certified Cake Maniac

Addie, thank you so much for sharing all that. Very wise words from a very wise woman!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #1114
Master Chef

My husband's primary care physician is astonished. He is no longer even considered borderline diabetic. In his case it was regulating carbs, not necessarily even limiting them. Just spreading them out over the day. Every body is different. He hasn't lost weight (although that would help) and lately has fallen down on aerobic exercise. the latter can be difficult (It was 10 degrees this morning, and he has asthma). We bought an exercise bike a few years ago, but face it, they are incredibly boring. I think my husband might be the first man his doctor had "cure himself' with diet alone. I know that all the men I've known who hit that diabetes wall left it to their wives to deal with it, then bitched and moaned about their "diet", and cheated whenever possible. Hidden caches of sweets and chips. I took out two measuring cups (1/2 c and 1 c) and told him, you're on. Just as I did when he was diagnosed with gout. I took out a 2 quart pitcher, filled it with water, and said, you're on your own. Drink it or not. he's a big boy. I just told him, you have to decide how much pain you're willing to live with. My hands are shaky (always have been) ... do you want ME giving you a shot?
Old 01-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #1115
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
My husband's primary care physician is astonished. He is no longer even considered borderline diabetic. In his case it was regulating carbs, not necessarily even limiting them. Just spreading them out over the day. Every body is different. He hasn't lost weight (although that would help) and lately has fallen down on aerobic exercise. the latter can be difficult (It was 10 degrees this morning, and he has asthma). We bought an exercise bike a few years ago, but face it, they are incredibly boring. I think my husband might be the first man his doctor had "cure himself' with diet alone. I know that all the men I've known who hit that diabetes wall left it to their wives to deal with it, then bitched and moaned about their "diet", and cheated whenever possible. Hidden caches of sweets and chips. I took out two measuring cups (1/2 c and 1 c) and told him, you're on. Just as I did when he was diagnosed with gout. I took out a 2 quart pitcher, filled it with water, and said, you're on your own. Drink it or not. he's a big boy. I just told him, you have to decide how much pain you're willing to live with. My hands are shaky (always have been) ... do you want ME giving you a shot?
Smart man you have there. Wise wife he has.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #1116
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Smart man you have there. Wise wife he has.
Consulted Yoda you did, Addie! you have!
Old 01-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #1117
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That is great, Claire!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:26 AM   #1118
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I was also diagnosed a little while ago as "pre diabetic" and a lot of people said I will get diabetes. My tests are clear now and my sugar level is normal. I asked my Dr about it and he said that even though only a few people don't become diabetic after pre-diabetes, some are lucky. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones!
All I did was change my diet and only used the meds he gave me for a week or so.
I couldn't face more medication, I already rattle after taking my meds

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #1119
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Addie, thank you so much for sharing all that. Very wise words from a very wise woman!
Well said +1
Old 01-17-2013, 05:44 AM   #1120
Chef Extraordinaire

Folks, please remember you are not dieting, you are changing your eating habits. I have lost 20-30 lb because I switched up when I ate my biggest meal (breakfast), cut bread out of my diet almost completely, only eat whole grains, and eliminated white sugar. The problem is that now I don't have any jeans that fit. And, my "sweet tooth" doesn't bother me, but the tooth I broke eating popped wild rice does...