"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #1161
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Off my diet today...had my stress test, was better than I thought it would be...until I got stuck in the machine when it went offline. No problem, I took a nap while they figured it out. Poor Shrek was waiting and had no idea what was going on. And this is twice in a row someone listened to me and got the right vein on the first try.
Glad it worked out in the end. Poor Shrek! I hope you get good results!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #1162
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Should find out Wednesday.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #1163
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Should find out Wednesday.
Keeping you in positive thoughts & prayers!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #1164
Chef Extraordinaire

I went to deep water class tonight. It's been 5 days since I've been in the pool. Not doing so great on my eating habits. I need to leave that chewy candy alone. I do fine during the day but nighttime snacking is still my weakness.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:14 AM   #1165
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I check my BP daily, so does Shrek. If you take BP meds you should learn how to keep track of your BP...the new meters are fool proof. I had the fun of teaching Shrek when you had to use a cuff and stethoscope.
I too have a BP machine. But I use it only for my pulse rate. Anytime I have had to call 911, the EMTs have told me that they don't care what my BP was on my machine. But they are interested in my pulse rate. Only when I feel that my pulse rate is speeding up do I bother to check it. I don't even check my sugars with any regularity. Much to bain of Winthrop. I am not the best patient they have ever had. I refuse to live my life around my health. If I am not feeling very well, then I do what I have to so that I can continue with what I was doing.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:15 AM   #1166
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I went to deep water class tonight. It's been 5 days since I've been in the pool. Not doing so great on my eating habits. I need to leave that chewy candy alone. I do fine during the day but nighttime snacking is still my weakness.
SB, I find evening snacking the hardest too. I am allowed pumpkin seeds so I buy them in bulk and have a container by my desk, my recliner and my craft table. I also make sure I have a glass of water or club soda with me at all times. This really helps. Is there something you like that is good for your diet that you can keep nearby for those times you crave something sweet?

By the way, good on you for getting back to the pool. I have got to start going to bed earlier so I can get up at 6 am to get to the pool for my walking. The lanes are only open between 6 and 9 and I have to get there around 7 to get a proper lane.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:18 AM   #1167
Chef Extraordinaire

When I shop, I refuse to buy snack or junk foods. And there are a lot of foods my intestinal track simply can't handle. Like anything with a skin. So just about everything I eat, needs to be cooked. It sure cuts down on my eating or nibbling. Who want to go out in the kitchen at night and start cooking again. I have to find a bread that I like. I am going to look at the aritsan dark bread the next time I go shopping. Then I can make grilled cheese sandwiches, or BLT after I peel the tomato. I can eat crackers. And I do like graham crackers. Should have some of those on hand for snacking. And rice cakes are another snack I can handle. Smeared with PB and warmed in the microwave makes for good eating. The PB melts down right into the rice cake.

Fortunately for me, the aisle that has all the goodies and junk food are on my son's side of my grocery list. So if I put down Large Bag of Chips, he laughs and crosses it off. Fruits are also on his side. So he gets me one peach, plum, etc. Makes sure I get some fresh fruit. Even if it is not on the list.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #1168
Chef Extraordinaire

I love it when research supports a theory.

Meal timing matters for weight loss success - Health - CBC News

I have been eating my big meal (most days) for breakfast since June. The waistband of the jeans I wore in May, well, I can hold the waistband away from my waist 6 inches. How much weight have I lost? Who knows, I don't own a scale. What I do know is that I've shrunk 2 full sizes and am halfway between a size 10 and 8. And, I feel a lot better. I have challenged several friends who have wanted to lose weight to give it a try for 30 days. One is down 1 dress size since the beginning of January. The other is almost there. It works. Give up this North American notion of loading up in the evening. Take the time to load up in the morning.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #1169
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When I shop, I refuse to buy snack or junk foods. And there are a lot of foods my intestinal track simply can't handle. Like anything with a skin. So just about everything I eat, needs to be cooked. It sure cuts down on my eating or nibbling. Who want to go out in the kitchen at night and start cooking again. I have to find a bread that I like. I am going to look at the aritsan dark bread the next time I go shopping. Then I can make grilled cheese sandwiches, or BLT after I peel the tomato. I can eat crackers. And I do like graham crackers. Should have some of those on hand for snacking. And rice cakes are another snack I can handle. Smeared with PB and warmed in the microwave makes for good eating. The PB melts down right into the rice cake.

Fortunately for me, the aisle that has all the goodies and junk food are on my son's side of my grocery list. So if I put down Large Bag of Chips, he laughs and crosses it off. Fruits are also on his side. So he gets me one peach, plum, etc. Makes sure I get some fresh fruit. Even if it is not on the list.
The only snack food in my house is popcorn (kernels). Unless you count nuts and cheese. I do not buy chips, breakfast cereal, etc. There are no cookies, cakes, muffins, or bread in the house. I do not eat those things regularly. If I want bread, I bake it, ditto cookies. For muffins, I make mini-muffins if I make them. I use lettuce for "wraps" for sandwiches.
In the back of one cupboard, for reasons I do not know, there is a 4 liter jar of cheerios (jar because I store everything in glass). I don't remember buying those--perhaps my lodger from last summer left them. In my freezer, there is no ice cream, if I want ice cream, I make it. But, I eat well (at least, in my opinion). The pork roast the other night was delicious (one of those meals at night) and the leftovers for breakfast were great The only thing I had to buy to make the meal was a 12-oz. can of beer.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #1170
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

If you have a Norwegian cheese slicer, a couple of slices of cheese on a rice cake, nuked for about 30 seconds, is a nice snack. The Norwegian cheese slicer/slide makes thin slices of cheese. (Famous Norwegian Inventions). It also is great to use to make thin cucumber slices.