"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #121
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Thanks FM.

It's a little tougher for the DW, and I try to accomodate that as much as possible.

Yes, we both quit smoking. For me it was Nov. 07, for the DW it was late Dec. I smoked a pack a day since I was 15 or 16 years old. I am totaly over the cigs. 110%! Yes, the bad knees are from the bikes. I have to wear high tech knee braces whenever I ride, or jog, or do any kind of activity where there's lateral movement on my legs.

The hard part for me is that I love to cook and try different flavors. Trying to balance the joy of cooking/experience and counting calories is frickin tough! I'm pretty much happy physically with myself now (all things considered) but I could easily slip off track because of my tastes for foods.
You know, it is harder for women. I think it's the "survival of the race" thing that kicks in. Nature wants us to have lots of fat reserves so we can reproduce and breastfeed - whether we want to or not! You get a big pat on the back for being accommodating and understanding. I'll bet she's a very happy wife.

Would you mind sharing how you and DW managed to quit smoking? I have to quit. I smoke about half a pack a day but the thought of quitting gives me cold sweats.

It's probably a blessing I've never been a good cook so the few things I can make really well now aren't too bad to cut out. And the diet seems like a cinch compared to the exercise regime. But if you can do it with bad knees, I can do it with a big butt!
__________________

__________________
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:03 PM   #122
Executive Chef
 
Dina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Mission, Texas
Posts: 2,686
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
We've managed to lose a couple of pounds by going to the pool every day since Monday. Woohoo! I'm glad the love handles are diminishing slowly. Better yet, the kids are having so much fun playing in the water everyday. The tanning contest is on with them! LOL
__________________

__________________
Dina
If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:37 AM   #123
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Would you mind sharing how you and DW managed to quit smoking? I have to quit. I smoke about half a pack a day but the thought of quitting gives me cold sweats.
My attempt at cold turkey was a complete disaster. So, I decided to try the Nicoderm patch. My first go with the patch I was still smoking. I smoked less, but still did not quit. So now I was loaded up with nicotine from the patch and cigs. I layed off the patch for about a month with the intent on quitting at some point. One day, I got so P.O.'d at myself for being a wimp and letting that thing control my life. I really got mad. I chucked the smokes, put on the patch, and never looked back.

You really have to WANT to quit. Which I did. And DO NOT promise anyone else that you are quitting, it only makes it harder. Promise yourself, then when you fail, you really feel stupid.

Since you smoke a 1/2 pack, you would start off with Step 2.

If you want some real trippy dreams, leave the patch on overnight. It's kinda fun sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
We've managed to lose a couple of pounds by going to the pool every day since Monday. Woohoo! I'm glad the love handles are diminishing slowly. Better yet, the kids are having so much fun playing in the water everyday. The tanning contest is on with them! LOL
Swimming is excellent excersize.
__________________
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:18 AM   #124
Head Chef
 
Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,810
Jeekinz is right Fisher's Mom. You really have to want to quit. I smoked about a pack a day for 20 years. My kids kept nagging me about quitting for years but I couldn't until one day when we went out for lunch at Ryan's (this was about 10 years ago when you could still smoke in restaurants). We requested the smoking section which was a room all by itself. The room was empty and apparently the ventilation system wasn't working. The smell of stale cigarette smoke was overwhelming and really disgusted me. That was what made me want to quit. I couldn't bear the thought of people coming into my home and it smelling like that. I haven't picked up a cigarette since.

The key is that YOU really have to want to quit. No one can make you want to quit. You can use all the patches in the world or even try hypnosis but unless you really want to quit, you won't be able to.

Good Luck with it!
__________________
www.Mamas-Southern-Cooking.com
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:16 AM   #125
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,630
Just wanted to add...

Don't worry about gaining weight after quitting. You can deal with that later. It's been since November 07 and I still feel the affects from smoking. It's a long healing process.

I would get, and sometimes still do, urges. Not really urges for a cigarette, just simply some sort of palate satisfaction. I found that spicy food works best. It gave me that burning sensation cigarettes would.

Even now I'll need to have something spicy. And I hated spicy food when I smoked. I also lost the taste for coffee. I drink Vitamin Water like theres no tomorrow.

Like I said before, to loose those few pounds we gained from quitting, we aer eating healthier and less. We actually split a steak between the two of us. We eat alot of grilled chicken breasts but use different marinades for that flavor punch. BTW - most marinades have super low calories.
__________________
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:04 AM   #126
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
Jeekinz is right Fisher's Mom. You really have to want to quit. I smoked about a pack a day for 20 years. My kids kept nagging me about quitting for years but I couldn't until one day when we went out for lunch at Ryan's (this was about 10 years ago when you could still smoke in restaurants). We requested the smoking section which was a room all by itself. The room was empty and apparently the ventilation system wasn't working. The smell of stale cigarette smoke was overwhelming and really disgusted me. That was what made me want to quit. I couldn't bear the thought of people coming into my home and it smelling like that. I haven't picked up a cigarette since.

The key is that YOU really have to want to quit. No one can make you want to quit. You can use all the patches in the world or even try hypnosis but unless you really want to quit, you won't be able to.

Good Luck with it!
Thanks Mama. I used to smoke a lot but I quit about 11 years ago and was quit for 5 years. That's when I became aware of the smell, too. It's gross. The whole time I was quit, I dreamed of cigarettes. Really. I would wake up dreaming I was smoking and then it was h**l the rest of the day. I don't know what possessed me to start again except I met my good Russian friend and man, Russians know how to smoke. It's like a sacrament for them. Watching him was just too much and I fell from grace. I only smoke outside because of the smell and also to keep me from smoking so much. It's so hot down here that it keeps me from going outside for one as much as I might otherwise. That's why I can stick to 1/2 a pack per day. But now I need to cut it out completely. And I'm sure you are exactly right - I have to really want to quit. I'm working on that. Thanks for the pep talk - I need it.
__________________
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #127
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Just wanted to add...

Don't worry about gaining weight after quitting. You can deal with that later. It's been since November 07 and I still feel the affects from smoking. It's a long healing process.

I would get, and sometimes still do, urges. Not really urges for a cigarette, just simply some sort of palate satisfaction. I found that spicy food works best. It gave me that burning sensation cigarettes would.

Even now I'll need to have something spicy. And I hated spicy food when I smoked. I also lost the taste for coffee. I drink Vitamin Water like theres no tomorrow.

Like I said before, to loose those few pounds we gained from quitting, we aer eating healthier and less. We actually split a steak between the two of us. We eat alot of grilled chicken breasts but use different marinades for that flavor punch. BTW - most marinades have super low calories.
LOL! You know women, Jeekinz! I would be really nervous about quitting except that I'm on this freakin' cardio-protective diet. I don't think anybody could gain weight on this diet. I'm not even calorie restricted and I've lost 3 pounds in a week.

I will have to give up coffee to quit smoking. It's a trigger for me. If I have a cup of coffee, I crave a cig with it. Also, talking on the phone. When I quit before, I had to quit having chats on the phone because smoking was always a part of it.

Thanks for helping with your suggestions. I feel stupid because this is a self-inflicted, nasty habit that I should be able to just drop because it's so gross. Thanks for knowing what it's like - you're a good friend.
__________________
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #128
Chef Extraordinaire
 
suziquzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MN
Posts: 11,488
Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Hey, I quit smoking 9 years ago (tomorrow matter of fact!) and mostly the smell makes me want to gag, so there's hope, but honestly sometimes I STILL want to go buy some, it's very difficult not to some days.
I can't attest to the gaining weight after quitting so well, because I got pregnant. So, I gained 30 lbs, but I can't blame it on smoking!!! :)
Almost back to before 1st baby weight!!!!! I'm so excited. It's one thing to be back to before the last baby.... but the 1st after 3...... YAY!!!! I've looked at pics of me right before I got pregnant, when like any idiot 24 year old I THOUGHT I was fat.....
I WAS A TWIG AND I"M ALMOST A TWIG AGAIN!!!
The weight is just..... ummmmm... resettled to areas not yet identified to most 24 year old women with no children. :)
__________________
Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
suziquzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:17 PM   #129
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
lost another pound this week. that makes seven pounds. only portion control is what i am doing. so i don't feel deprived at all.

also eating when hungry , even off the three meal a day thing. so far it is working. course choice of food should be reasonable.

babe
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:33 PM   #130
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
Hey, I quit smoking 9 years ago (tomorrow matter of fact!) and mostly the smell makes me want to gag, so there's hope, but honestly sometimes I STILL want to go buy some, it's very difficult not to some days.
I can't attest to the gaining weight after quitting so well, because I got pregnant. So, I gained 30 lbs, but I can't blame it on smoking!!! :)
Almost back to before 1st baby weight!!!!! I'm so excited. It's one thing to be back to before the last baby.... but the 1st after 3...... YAY!!!! I've looked at pics of me right before I got pregnant, when like any idiot 24 year old I THOUGHT I was fat.....
I WAS A TWIG AND I"M ALMOST A TWIG AGAIN!!!
The weight is just..... ummmmm... resettled to areas not yet identified to most 24 year old women with no children. :)
Now I am seriously impressed, Suzie!!! And hey, the resettling isn't that big a deal in dim lighting!
__________________

__________________
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.