"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #1371
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I have not been gaining or losing weight, just staying the same. Not much of an appetite. Especially meat has no appeal to me at all. For some reason it seems to make dh angry that I do not care to eat meat, I figure it's his problem, not mine, but makes for some tense meals at times.
I think this is probably his way of expressing his worry about you and your recovery. He wants you to be back to normal, just as you do. It will take time for both of you to adjust. Take care.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #1372
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I have not been gaining or losing weight, just staying the same. Not much of an appetite. Especially meat has no appeal to me at all. For some reason it seems to make DH angry that I do not care to eat meat, I figure it's his problem, not mine, but makes for some tense meals at times.
You need that protein to speed the healing process. Try just one bite at each meal. In the meantime don't worry about the weight. That problem will take care of itself in time. Your appetite will return when it is ready to. Don't try to rush it. For one thing, you are not as active as you were when you were working. So you don't work up an appetite. Also your system got used to small amounts of food before the surgery. It hasn't gotten the message yet that right now you should be eating more. Keep in mind that pain medication will kill your appetite along with making you sleepy just when you don't want to sleep. It will also constipate you. And if you are full of waste, then of course you are not going to have an appetite.

Be patient with yourself. We are all pulling and praying for you.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #1373
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I think this is probably his way of expressing his worry about you and your recovery. He wants you to be back to normal, just as you do. It will take time for both of you to adjust. Take care.
yes, sb, what gg said. oftentimes, men are not very good at expressing their loving concern in a loving way....
Old 04-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #1374
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
yes, sb, what gg said. oftentimes, men are not very good at expressing their loving concern in a loving way....
His whole world has been turned upside down. He not only hasn't got his working partner at his side, the woman he has known as his wife has changed also. Men do not like change. He wants you back the way you were. It will happen in time.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #1375
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you all very much for your kind words & support, I really do appreciate it from all of you. I have never been known as a real patient person. It feels that I have been going through the ultimate test during this time of my life. Even though I know this shall pass it does not seem fast enough for me. Been trying to do a little more walking outside daily. Sometimes it's hard to figure out if the pain is from the surgery or just a bad gut ache? I eat the blandest food that that I can come up with, in small amounts. Taking stool softners to keep things moving through, just want to get things back to normal. Thanks again to all for your support. I really do appreciate it!
Old 05-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #1376
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Thank you all very much for your kind words & support, I really do appreciate it from all of you. I have never been known as a real patient person. It feels that I have been going through the ultimate test during this time of my life. Even though I know this shall pass it does not seem fast enough for me. Been trying to do a little more walking outside daily. Sometimes it's hard to figure out if the pain is from the surgery or just a bad gut ache? I eat the blandest food that that I can come up with, in small amounts. Taking stool softners to keep things moving through, just want to get things back to normal. Thanks again to all for your support. I really do appreciate it!
I had a doctor who went fishing so he wouldn't even be in town for at least 48 hours after my surgery. He didn't want the harassing phone calls to let me go home before I was ready. I'm a horrible patient.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:29 AM   #1377
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I had a doctor who went fishing so he wouldn't even be in town for at least 48 hours after my surgery. He didn't want the harassing phone calls to let me go home before I was ready. I'm a horrible patient.
The first question I ask before they can even tell me what is wrong, "when can I go home?"
Old 05-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #1378
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Did they tell you about the BRAT diet? Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast are recommended for allowing the gut to rest after surgery. Nothing with high fiber. Take care
Old 05-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #1379
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Did they tell you about the BRAT diet? Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast are recommended for allowing the gut to rest after surgery. Nothing with high fiber. Take care
A friend of mine used to use the BRAT diet a lot. She seemed to have a "delicate stomach" and it was her doctor's recommendation.

Do you know if you are allowed brown rice and whole grain toast with the BRAT diet? My friend was told that the A was for apple, not necessarily apple sauce. Though I can imagine that apple peel isn't so good for this diet.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #1380
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
A friend of mine used to use the BRAT diet a lot. She seemed to have a "delicate stomach" and it was her doctor's recommendation.

Do you know if you are allowed brown rice and whole grain toast with the BRAT diet? My friend was told that the A was for apple, not necessarily apple sauce. Though I can imagine that apple peel isn't so good for this diet.
BRAT is supposed to be a low residue diet, the brown rice and whole grain are not good for the BRAT diet.