"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 05-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #1381
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
BRAT is supposed to be a low residue diet, the brown rice and whole grain are not good for the BRAT diet.
My thoughts exactly. When I had my gastro surgery, the doctor had me on a no fiber diet for about six months. Then gradually he allowed me to introduce low fiber foods one at a time. Soft boiled or scrambled eggs were my mainstay. I felt like I had eaten a banquet with just one egg.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #1382
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I had a doctor who went fishing so he wouldn't even be in town for at least 48 hours after my surgery. He didn't want the harassing phone calls to let me go home before I was ready. I'm a horrible patient.
To be quite honest, I did not make for a good patient either. First I wanted was out of that hospital. Good report back from check up appt. today. I can go back to water walking & light work hours on monday the 13th! Made my whole day!

Old 05-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #1383
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My thoughts exactly. When I had my gastro surgery, the doctor had me on a no fiber diet for about six months. Then gradually he allowed me to introduce low fiber foods one at a time. Soft boiled or scrambled eggs were my mainstay. I felt like I had eaten a banquet with just one egg.
I know what you mean. Small portions seem very filling to me too. Doc told me today I could go back to eating a regular diet now. I have been hungry for fruits & veggies so went & picked up some fresh bean sprouts, bok choy, snow peas & fresh pineapple. Figured I would make a nice chicken stir fry sometime soon.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #1384
Executive Chef

Lost four pounds this week!

I have been going up and down lately. Maybe because I was able to up the exercise. My knees are feeling somewhat better and I can walk pretty well now. I have also been able to ride my bike some. But the big news is...I am down a total of 20 pounds from where I started. Others don't really see a change, but I can feel it! Only 18 more pounds before I am in "one-der land!"
Old 06-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #1385
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
To be quite honest, I did not make for a good patient either. First I wanted was out of that hospital. Good report back from check up appt. today. I can go back to water walking & light work hours on monday the 13th! Made my whole day!
Glad to hear it. Take it slow. You are not Superwoman yet. Introduce foods with skin, one at a time. See how you system handles the skins. Some folks can handle them just fine, some can't. I am glad you can go in the pool again. I know it was something you really enjoyed. Keep us posted. We are all pulling for you.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #1386
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Lost four pounds this week!

I have been going up and down lately. Maybe because I was able to up the exercise. My knees are feeling somewhat better and I can walk pretty well now. I have also been able to ride my bike some. But the big news is...I am down a total of 20 pounds from where I started. Others don't really see a change, but I can feel it! Only 18 more pounds before I am in "one-der land!"
Yea! Keep it up!
Old 06-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #1387
Executive Chef

Thanks PF. I really am on a mission this time, and I hope that what I am doing (life style changes) will stick! Summers are easier for me, because they are much less stressful. For some reason when I get home from work I think I need to eat a whole bag of chips, or a whole box of crackers! I'm thinking if I can keep these changes up that by this time next year I will be feeling really good. My knees will thank me.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #1388
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Someone told Shrek that Greek Yogurt is the best for protein and weight loss...I wish I liked yogurt.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #1389
Executive Chef

Right, I don't do yogurt either.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #1390
Chef Extraordinaire

Keep up the good work chopper. If you feel like a snack, think protein. Not carb. Beef jerkey would be a good choice. Even cheese. Nibble stuff.