"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #1391
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I've started wanting fresh fruit for nibbles instead of salty carbs. It's taken a bit of doing to get it done, though.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #1392
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I've started wanting fresh fruit for nibbles instead of salty carbs. It's taken a bit of doing to get it done, though.
I can't tell you the last time I had a potato chip. I just finished eating a small plate of baked beans for a snack. I was going to have some bacon with them, but Spike stole my bacon. I only have used two and a half slices out of the package. I cut the whole package in half and only make half slices. One each time. This is the first time I have bought bacon for myself in two years. I buy a pound and give it to Spike before it even goes in my fridge. I really make a strong concerted effort to practice portion control. Mostly protein, a small amount of carbs and a big helping of veggie.

When I give Spike my shopping list his half covers the produce department. So on the list I just say, "one fruit of any that are on sale." Sometimes I have more than three and some months nothing I like is on sale. Spike knows what I like. Sometimes I will have a baked 'tater for a snack. Problem is the amount of butter. I think my favorite snack though is two small cans of wax beans and beets. Chilled, drained and with Hidden Valley dressing. The problem there is the dressing. I could drink that stuff out of the bottle.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #1393
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Thanks PF. I really am on a mission this time, and I hope that what I am doing (life style changes) will stick! Summers are easier for me, because they are much less stressful. For some reason when I get home from work I think I need to eat a whole bag of chips, or a whole box of crackers! I'm thinking if I can keep these changes up that by this time next year I will be feeling really good. My knees will thank me.
You are doing a great job!

The only way I have been able to handle trigger foods is to keep them out of the house!

The only crunch is carrot sticks with some salad dressing or a crisp Claussen pickle, not exactly a chip or a cracker. Maybe you could paint a carb control tortilla with some olive oil, sprinkle on some herbs and spices, cut it up and bake it in the oven to make some chips, just a thought.

Just keep working on cleaning up your daily routine and remember It's not what you do once in awhile, it's what you do everyday that counts!

Keep your eye on the prize, Chop!
Old 06-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #1394
Chef Extraordinaire

When my kids were school age, I used to keep a large glass in the fridge filled with celery and carrot sticks. I kept it right in front so it was the first thing they saw and would grab. Every day a fresh batch was made. And it always went fast.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #1395
Chef Extraordinaire

I am feeling fantastic! Just got home from the gtm. I got in 8 miles in 80 minutes. Had some good music on my headphones, it was quite the adreneline rush. Forst time in a very long time I've felt this good!
Old 06-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #1396
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
You are doing a great job!

The only way I have been able to handle trigger foods is to keep them out of the house!

The only crunch is carrot sticks with some salad dressing or a crisp Claussen pickle, not exactly a chip or a cracker. Maybe you could paint a carb control tortilla with some olive oil, sprinkle on some herbs and spices, cut it up and bake it in the oven to make some chips, just a thought.

Just keep working on cleaning up your daily routine and remember It's not what you do once in awhile, it's what you do everyday that counts!

Keep your eye on the prize, Chop!
Thanks! I really like celery with peanut butter. Gives me the crunch with a good punch of protein. I'm not sure why I don't make my nutrition a priority during the school year when I am working. I just get tired I guess. I could do retirement really well, but that is not in the near future. I am more motivated than ever right now, so yes, my eye is on the prize!
Old 06-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #1397
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When my kids were school age, I used to keep a large glass in the fridge filled with celery and carrot sticks. I kept it right in front so it was the first thing they saw and would grab. Every day a fresh batch was made. And it always went fast.
This is what I do in the summer when I am home. Guess I need to get better at doing it all year long.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #1398
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I am feeling fantastic! Just got home from the gtm. I got in 8 miles in 80 minutes. Had some good music on my headphones, it was quite the adreneline rush. Forst time in a very long time I've felt this good!
You rock girlfriend! Good for you!
Old 06-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #1399
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I love hearing good news. Keep it up. Sounds like you have found your road to travel.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #1400
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you very much for the encouragement! I think I may have over-did a bit this afternoon. I swam a mile in the pool (36 laps) it took me a long time (90 minutes), I'm feeling like a truck ran over me tonight.