"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #1471
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
The hardest thing is allowing yourself to do is enjoy the "cheats" and realize that they will be a constant part of your life, it's how you move on from them that counts. One day of indulgence once in a while isn't going to ruin it all! It's part of enjoying life. You seem to have a good handle on it!
Yup, it's a lifestyle change, so it has to be enjoyable to work.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #1472
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

The hardest thing is allowing yourself to do is enjoy the "cheats" and realize that they will be a constant part of your life, it's how you move on from them that counts. One day of indulgence once in a while isn't going to ruin it all! It's part of enjoying life. You seem to have a good handle on it!
Well said, Bakechef! SB, we are all so proud of you!

Old 07-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #1473
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
SB, whether you realize it or not. just the fact that you are willing to put the starting amount out there for the world to see what your weight was at the start shows how committed you are to losing this weight. The average person when asked, will hem and haw about their true weight. Sixty-three pounds? That is more than a commercial size bag of flour for your café. And you have done this in spite of having an unexpected interruption in your quest. Keep it up. What has your doctor said about your weight loss? Have you gone down a size?
Thank you Addie! Have not looked at before compared to a 50# bag of flour, seems to put it into perspective. The Dr. is pleased about my weight loss & encourages me to stay on track. As far as going down a size, yes, for pants I was at 26-28 & am down to a 14-16. Still a ways to go but determined to get there. My next biggest hurdle is to get under 200#. A few challenges lye ahead with a large, weekend family reunion coming up in a couple of weeks then vacation the first part of August. All in good time. Thanks again for your positive encouragement!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #1474
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
63 lbs is the average weight of a nine year old child. I'm impressed SB.
Wow, a person, who would have thought....Thank you for the encouragement!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #1475
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
You are so right. I do not think that I would be able to entirely give up candy & bakery items, they are my weakness. It's just the simple fact to learn that all food is good, the key is moderation. I appreciate your encouraging advice!!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #1476
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
You are so right. I do not think that I would be able to entirely give up candy & bakery items, they are my weakness. It's just the simple fact to learn that all food is good, the key is moderation. I appreciate your encouraging advice!!
Don't give up the candy and bakery items. Just start only eating the highest quality, tastiest candy and bakery items. Cultivate a taste for the "good stuff". Then the cheaper stuff will be less tempting and that's the stuff that is far more easily found.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #1477
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Baked goods are my weakness too! I've made about 8 vanilla cake recipes in the last couple of months to develop a perfect one for our wedding cake! I really love cake and I'm glad that I haven't gained any weight!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #1478
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Don't give up the candy and bakery items. Just start only eating the highest quality, tastiest candy and bakery items. Cultivate a taste for the "good stuff". Then the cheaper stuff will be less tempting and that's the stuff that is far more easily found.
I like how you think!!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #1479
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I like how you think!!
I learned that quite by accident. I lived in Denmark before I came to Canada. Denmark has a lot of bakeries and they all make fabulous pastries. People just couldn't understand my "self control". No, I don't want your crappy cake mix cake with sickly sweet icing. I'm used to much better. Ma

"Unfortunately", Montreal now produces a lot of really good pastries. Makes it much harder to say no.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:43 AM   #1480
Chef Extraordinaire

Maybe we should all be smoking pot.

Study: Why Pot Smokers Are Skinnier - Lindsay Abrams - The Atlantic