"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-20-2013, 06:23 AM   #1491
Cook

I've started cutting down on my sugar intake, in a bid to lose weight. I started using stevia in my tea & coffee. Which as a result as seen me start to lose interest in sugery drinks. Next change is to cut out high sugary treats. Luckily I attempt to cook healthy low-fat when I can.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #1492
Executive Chef

This thread has gone on for a long time. Some of the names have changed, but the story is the same. Congrats to all of your for doing so well with your weight loss. It always helps to have a group of friends to give encouragement. I am learning a lot from the pointers and advice posted here.

Keep going!!!

Old 07-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #1493
Chef Extraordinaire

I am not starting my day out to well with 2 fresh wal mart donuts for breakfast. Happy Sunday!
Old 07-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #1494
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalWriter View Post
I've started cutting down on my sugar intake, in a bid to lose weight. I started using stevia in my tea & coffee. Which as a result as seen me start to lose interest in sugery drinks. Next change is to cut out high sugary treats. Luckily I attempt to cook healthy low-fat when I can.
I cut out white sugar about a year ago. I too experienced the same thing--I no longer crave sugary beverages. I use maple syrup, rice syrup, agava syrup, or honey for sugar in recipes. Although I love to bake, I only eat a small sample of what I make and give the rest away. When I do have a sugary treat, I get the worst headache and diarrhea (TMI). My body is no longer used to sugar and it tells me that. The same is true for bread (I also cut way back on my bread and pasta consumption). I get terrible gas when I eat bread or white pasta. I now eat whole grains, no white flour or pasta. I think I cook healthy--no processed foods, no canned foods, no additives such as processed cheese, ketchup, etc. I feel a lot better and a lot of my friends have asked me my secret. I wear the same size I wore when I graduated from high school (and not just earrings, PF!). I feel great.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #1495
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I cut out white sugar about a year ago. I too experienced the same thing--I no longer crave sugary beverages. I use maple syrup, rice syrup, agava syrup, or honey for sugar in recipes. Although I love to bake, I only eat a small sample of what I make and give the rest away. When I do have a sugary treat, I get the worst headache and diarrhea (TMI). My body is no longer used to sugar and it tells me that. The same is true for bread (I also cut way back on my bread and pasta consumption). I get terrible gas when I eat bread or white pasta. I now eat whole grains, no white flour or pasta. I think I cook healthy--no processed foods, no canned foods, no additives such as processed cheese, ketchup, etc. I feel a lot better and a lot of my friends have asked me my secret. I wear the same size I wore when I graduated from high school (and not just earrings, PF!). I feel great.

But I love those earrings...
Old 07-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #1496
Cook

Well my doctor thinks I have celiac's disease, so it maybe that I do need to cut a hell of a lot more out, and introduce different foods, that I don't really eat.

But one thing at a time. Thankfully because of the heat, I don't want any hot drinks, and I've stopped buying can packs, and have replaced with flavoured water. Who knows maybe by the end of this British Heatwave, I'll have stopped sugar all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Old 07-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #1497
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalWriter View Post
Well my doctor thinks I have celiac's disease, so it maybe that I do need to cut a hell of a lot more out, and introduce different foods, that I don't really eat.

But one thing at a time. Thankfully because of the heat, I don't want any hot drinks, and I've stopped buying can packs, and have replaced with flavoured water. Who knows maybe by the end of this British Heatwave, I'll have stopped sugar all together.
Don't start cutting out too much until the doctor has verified whether or not you have celiac. I seem to remember reading that if you start cutting out gluten and stuff, it can confuse the diagnostic tests.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #1498
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I am not starting my day out to well with 2 fresh wal mart donuts for breakfast. Happy Sunday!
Oh Dear! I am assuming you are going to be back on track in the next 24 hours.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #1499
Chef Extraordinaire

Many, many moons ago some folks hunting in the jungles on the other side of the world came across a unknown tribe of head hunters. The folks offered them sugar. The head hunters thought, after tasting it, that they were being poisoned. The folks almost lost their heads until one of them started to eat the sugar. The head hunters let them keep their heads, but still refused to eat the sugar. Maybe they instinctively knew something.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #1500
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Sunday is always good for your mood food day...donuts are an excellent GFYMFD. You have to or you find an excuse to do it more often.