"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #1521
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalchica View Post
Hi, new here! Just joined today!

I've been trying to incorporate more fruits and smoothies into my diet, but is that healthy? I've been told that fruit has a lot of sugar and isn't always best for weight loss.
The problem isn't with smoothies, where you are getting whole fruit. It's with fruit juice, where the fibre has been removed. You don't get the beneficial fibre and you can drink a whole lot more of that sugar when it's just juice.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #1522
Executive Chef

Congrats CWS. Two sizes! How wonderful! My doctor will be pleasantly suprized when I go in next week too I think. She told me in February that losing ten percent of my body weight would be a good place to start. While I am now past that so she should see that as good progress. I really like my doc too, and she is realistic. I love that you are an inspiration for your doctor. They are real people too.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #1523
Executive Chef

Welcome socalchica. We are glad that you have joined us! Fruit is a good thing! I agree with taxlady on fruit. The whole fruit is great! I don't eat a lot of fruit, but when I do I eat it i have the whole fruit rather than the juice. I also agree with Addie on the eating of protein along with the fruit. If I eat any kind of carb at all including fruit, I eat protein along with it. I think I will have melon this morning with breakfast, but a small portion with eggs too.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #1524
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
It is a different kind of sugar. And like most fruit you are taking in much needed vitamins and nutrients. Just remember you also need protein in your diet.

Folks think and believe so many myths about certain foods. Not all carbs are bad. A baked potato is another veggie loaded with much needed vitamins and nutrients. The carb content is much lower than the need for all the good things. Most folks think watermelon is just water and sugar. Wrong! Again loaded with so many other good things. If you are looking to change your diet, you need to start educating yourself. The internet is a great place to start. Along with DC.
Addie, I cannot eat a baked potato. It spikes my blood sugar, and I love baked potatoes! If I have them at dinner, I can eat maybe 1 or 2 bites of it along with the rest of my meal without having a BS spike.

For some reason I never found out, my grandfather did not allow bread and potatoes to be served at the same meal. It had to be one or the other. It wasn't because of his knowledge of nutrition because this was back in the early 1900's when no one really knew much about nutrition. And it couldn't have been because of the cost, because bread and potatoes were both very cheap back then. My mother never knew the reason, but he continued that until he died.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #1525
Assistant Cook

Great! Thank you for all of the advice!
Old 07-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #1526
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
For some reason I never found out, my grandfather did not allow bread and potatoes to be served at the same meal. It had to be one or the other. It wasn't because of his knowledge of nutrition because this was back in the early 1900's when no one really knew much about nutrition. And it couldn't have been because of the cost, because bread and potatoes were both very cheap back then. My mother never knew the reason, but he continued that until he died.
I wonder if he was familiar with Edgar Cayce. He supposedly had visions and gave readings on various topics, mostly medical, but he did discuss nutrition and he advocated not eating more than one starch at a meal. He died in 1945.
http://www.edgarcayce.org/
Old 07-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #1527
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Addie, I cannot eat a baked potato. It spikes my blood sugar, and I love baked potatoes! If I have them at dinner, I can eat maybe 1 or 2 bites of it along with the rest of my meal without having a BS spike.

Try eating the baked potato with fat, butter or sour cream or try a few french fries. The fat slows the absorption of the carbs into your system and also tastes good. This works for me with potatoes but not with bread or baked goods. With them nothing helps anymore. My Mother believed in the one starch or sweet rule and she also would only eat those types of things at breakfast and lunch as part of a meal. Never after lunch. You really need to experiment and find out what works for your body.

I wish I came with an owners manual!
Old 07-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #1528
Chef Extraordinaire

I had a great work out this afternoon. Slow day at work so I went right into the gym after work & got 35 mn on the elliptical & 30 mn on the stationary bike, by the time I got home it was time to go back to the pool to aqua chi class.

This weekend is our live in for the weekend, family re union. 40 people with alot of good food & drinks. Always a challenge to stay on track.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #1529
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I had a great work out this afternoon. Slow day at work so I went right into the gym after work & got 35 mn on the elliptical & 30 mn on the stationary bike, by the time I got home it was time to go back to the pool to aqua chi class.

This weekend is our live in for the weekend, family re union. 40 people with alot of good food & drinks. Always a challenge to stay on track.
You certainly seem to be in the path of being tested. Folks hate to see other succeed where they have failed. So if someone tries to tell you, "Oh go ahead. One little mouthful isn't going to make any difference," the perfect line for you right now is, "I haven't fully recovered from my surgery and the doctor told me not to eat it. If I do eat it, it could send me right back into surgery."

One spoon of this, one spoon of that. You don't have to have a big helping of everything. Take one of the smaller plates. Make a sampler plate of foods you like. Eat slowly. The slower you eat, the less you will eat. And talk to someone while you are eating. It will cause you to eat slower, thus getting filled up with less food. I know sweets are your nemesis, so allow yourself one small helping of a sweet at the end of a meal. And if you show no weight gain in the next day of two, you can feel really proud. You are a success. But if you do, then so be it. Think of the positive side. You spent the weekend with family. And there is nothing more important than family.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:21 AM   #1530
Assistant Cook

I've been in denial and putting off doing anything about my weight, but it keeps creeping up each year. I would love to get some ideas for weight loss... I need help!