"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-24-2013, 12:28 AM   #1531
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litehouse9 View Post
I've been in denial and putting off doing anything about my weight, but it keeps creeping up each year. I would love to get some ideas for weight loss... I need help!
This is an excellent thread to read from the beginning. Lots of good ideas and encouragement.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #1532
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I wonder if he was familiar with Edgar Cayce. He supposedly had visions and gave readings on various topics, mostly medical, but he did discuss nutrition and he advocated not eating more than one starch at a meal. He died in 1945.
Edgar Cayce' s Association for Research and Enlightenment (A.R.E.) - Edgar Cayce readings: Spiritual Growth, Health, Ancient Mysteries

Got Garlic Although that sounds like a good explanation, I doubt that was the case. (no pun intended!) My grandfather was born in England in the 1800's. He came to America with his very poor family when he was 5 years old. He never went to even one day of school and worked as soon as he was able. He could not read or write, not even his name. It might have been a custom in his family, maybe from the part of England where they were from. Even when he was raising his family, they had 11 children and were very poor. You would think they would eat whatever was in abundance and would fill everyone up.

This thing with Edgar Cayce is the first time I have heard any reference to this. I will read up on it. Thanks!

Aunt Bea, I will check my BS the next time I eat a baked potato with lots of butter and sour cream. I have heard that fat is a key in helping keep blood sugar low. It would be wonderful if I could enjoy baked potatoes again, even half a potato!

Old 07-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #1533
Chef Extraordinaire

I had to talk myself into going into the gym today. I just did a few weight machines & 35 mn on the elliptical. Aqua chi in the pool for 45 mn after that. The weekend starts tomorrow night with the big family, weekend, reunion.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:44 AM   #1534
Chef Extraordinaire

Good on you SB
Old 07-26-2013, 05:45 AM   #1535
Chef Extraordinaire

I have been getting on the exercise bike every day for the last 3 weeks...I love it, feels good!

I dont really want to lose much weight, more about the cardio side of things, good for the heart etc
Old 07-26-2013, 05:47 AM   #1536
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Good morning. I hope everyone is starting out Monday morning with a healthy breakfast. I weighed in this morning and I have lost three more pounds this week. I am at a total loss of 31 pounds, and still going strong. My DIL also lost three pounds this week, and she was on vacation. I think this morning I will have some eggs and veggies with a carb balance tortilla. I still have relatives visiting, and I am still staying on track. We made some really good mint-tactic bars and I did have a small piece, but didn't go overboard.
Well done Chops and to your DIL
Old 07-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #1537
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I had to talk myself into going into the gym today. I just did a few weight machines & 35 mn on the elliptical. Aqua chi in the pool for 45 mn after that. The weekend starts tomorrow night with the big family, weekend, reunion.
Come Monday, you will feel more like being there. Your mind right now is elsewhere.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #1538
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
I have been getting on the exercise bike every day for the last 3 weeks...I love it, feels good!

I dont really want to lose much weight, more about the cardio side of things, good for the heart etc

Good for you Kylie! Many people don't realize that some daily exercise is essential for everyone, not just those looking to lose weight!
Old 07-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #1539
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you Carol

I too believe that even just 30 minutes of exercise a day is vital for a healthy body, mind and soul

We also go for a walk for about 30 minutes after dinner most nights
Old 07-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #1540
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Thank you Carol

I too believe that even just 30 minutes of exercise a day is vital for a healthy body, mind and soul

We also go for a walk for about 30 minutes after dinner most nights
I had a quintuplet bypass surgery on my heart. Two of the bypasses failed shortly after the surgery. I miss taking long walks. I miss not be able to be as active as I used to be. I would love to take up bike riding again. But all that is to be no more. Not if I want to stay alive long enough to see my daughter beat her present health problem.