"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #1561
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
+1
That was my first thought too.
And ditto here.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #1562
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Addie, I am so glad you received good news about your daughter! That's wonderful!

My bypass surgery was quadruple with one failing afterward. I still do my exercising, but at my pace. People who don't know my story would say I am not exercising, but it is what I can do at the speed at which I can do it. That's why I prefer to exercise in my own home. No one judging me. One time when I was still working I was walking up the stairs and a man said "If you walk up the stairs any slower you will be going backwards." Within a week I was in the hospital. Sometimes people just don't realize what they're saying when they don't know the circumstances.
I had to have surgery on my leg six years ago. Today I am afraid of losing my balance when I have one foot off the floor. The surgery was a success and I still have my leg today. But stairs have become my nemesis. I have to make sure there is a railing so I can pull myself up. Or I can crawl up on all fours. But coming down is another story. I can run down going backwards. If I go down facing forward, it jolts my hip and I almost go down the flight faster then I intended. Weird, I know. But my whole life has been lived as weird.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #1563
Chef Extraordinaire

I am medication that makes me nauseous. Interesting way to lose weight. I can still eat eggsm grains, greens, oh, and cheese. Other than that, everything else makes me gag. What is most interesting is I do crave carbs (which I rarely eat) when the nausea passes in the late afternoon. Hopefully, the nausea will go away by the end of next week. Not the way one wants to lose weight and I'm not counting this--I'll probably gain the weight (7 lb) back. I want the nausea to go away.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:07 AM   #1564
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I am medication that makes me nauseous. Interesting way to lose weight. I can still eat eggsm grains, greens, oh, and cheese. Other than that, everything else makes me gag. What is most interesting is I do crave carbs (which I rarely eat) when the nausea passes in the late afternoon. Hopefully, the nausea will go away by the end of next week. Not the way one wants to lose weight and I'm not counting this--I'll probably gain the weight (7 lb) back. I want the nausea to go away.
I know the feeling. I have very severe vertigo. When the medication doesn't work, the only thing to bring it under control, is the dry heaves. I am afraid to eat for a couple of days as that seems to set off another round of the vertigo. Can't win for losing. Pun intended!
Old 07-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #1565
Executive Chef

Went to the doctor today. She was pleased with my weight loss. My blood pressure has always been good, but now it was 100/60. Doesn't get much better than that. Not bad for someone who will soon be 53 years old.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #1566
Executive Chef

Great BP Chopper! I have a cardiologist appt on the 14th and need to get mine down a bit before then.

Addie Please be careful. With the stairs combined with the vertigo, it can be very dangerous.

CWS4322 My Metformin causes some nausea, especially since he upped my dose, but it's not enough to cause any weight loss. Right after my heart surgery I was diagnosed with diabetes so they started me on Metformin. That and the surgery caused some nausea and I ended up losing 25 lbs. I had an appetite and could eat most everything, but after a few bites I got nauseated and had to stop. I was disappointed that it eventually went away....I still have about 50 more pounds to lose.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #1567
Executive Chef

I have about 40 more pounds that I could lose. I will just keep going the way I am and see if I can do that. The big thing is to not let it creep back up.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #1568
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Great BP Chopper! I have a cardiologist appt on the 14th and need to get mine down a bit before then.

Addie Please be careful. With the stairs combined with the vertigo, it can be very dangerous.

CWS4322 My Metformin causes some nausea, especially since he upped my dose, but it's not enough to cause any weight loss. Right after my heart surgery I was diagnosed with diabetes so they started me on Metformin. That and the surgery caused some nausea and I ended up losing 25 lbs. I had an appetite and could eat most everything, but after a few bites I got nauseated and had to stop. I was disappointed that it eventually went away....I still have about 50 more pounds to lose.
I also became nauseous on Metformin after taking it for several months. My doctor is still trying to get me to agree to go back on it. Nope. Not for me. At the beginning it just about saved my life. I was waking up in the middle of the night with sugar spikes as high as 360. The Metformin brought it under control immediately. I am so glad to hear I am not the only one who get nauseous from Metformin. At first the doctor thought I wasn't telling him everything. Then I delayed taking my morning dose until I took it in front of him and within ten minutes was heaving very hard. A strain on my heart. That was more than a year ago. Vomiting is the hard way to lose weight.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #1569
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

I am very sensitive to medication. This is an anti-anxiety medication (2nd one we've tried--first one made me so nauseated there were days all I could do was lie on the couch and remain very, very still with my eyes closed). This one isn't quite as bad, but I really don't have much of an appetite and some foods taste funny. I have a very "trigger happy" gag reflex, so if nauseated, I can't swallow.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:23 PM   #1570
Chef Extraordinaire

I got back on the scale this afternoon after deep water aerobics, it's down 5 lbs from Monday but it's still 4 lbs heavier than before the weekend, I will need to pay serious attention to my eating habits when vacation starts Friday night.

Thanks to all for the positive encouragement!