"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 09-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #1621
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I am. And I find it difficult to eat right. First of all I rarely want to eat breakfast. I'm just not hungry. But I stay up late at night and thats when I want to snack.

I don't think there's any such thing as "eating right" when it comes to mealtimes. Your mealtime should be when you are hungry, not when society says you should eat. Just be careful that the night time snacking isn't mindless eating.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #1622
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I don't think there's any such thing as "eating right" when it comes to mealtimes. Your mealtime should be when you are hungry, not when society says you should eat. Just be careful that the night time snacking isn't mindless eating.
Agreed

Old 09-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #1623
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Happy to say I only gained 1 Lb over labor day weekend. Aqua chi for 45 mn & water jogging for 15 mn tonight!
Good for you. That one pound will fall off this week. The next holiday is Halloween. Buy candy you don't like to pass out to the kiddies.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #1624
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Belated congrats on that, PF. I was busy eating a bowl of vanilla ice cream with butterscotch topping to help you celebrate!
Thanks, CWS...The Seafood Alfredo I had Tuesday night, probably added it back.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #1625
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I do agree it is best to eat when one is hungry. I wasn't a breakfast person until I made breakfast my main meal of the day. I include protein, veggies, grains. It fills me up and I am not hungry later. I used to work nights and used to eat "breakfast" around 4:00 a.m., lunch around 9:00 a.m. and my evening meal around 1:00 p.m. It was hard to get back to sleeping during the night and at first I would wake up hungry at 4:00 a.m. You can train yourself to eat breakfast. Theoretically, it should be within a short time after getting up, regardless of the hour. This is because the natural state of one's body is to want fuel after waking up. Many people are out of the habit of eating breakfast and get hit by HUNGER or CRAVINGS mid-morning. It is hard to satisfy those cravings or turn off the hunger response if you don't eat sensible food.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #1626
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Along with that, you don't have to have the "traditional" American breakfast, either. I often have turkey and cheese sandwiches with fruit for breakfast, or leftovers. Having both protein and a carbohydrate will make you feel full longer, whether the protein is eggs, cheese, meat, beans or nuts. And I don't want breakfast as soon as I get up, either, but I usually have it within a couple hours of getting up.

Not everyone does well on the three-meals-a-day diet, either. Some people feel better eating 4-6 small meals per day. Some of those can be snacks - doesn't have to be a big meal each time.

I do think 12 hours between dinner and breakfast is too much, though. Hope this helps.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #1627
Senior Cook

Quote:
They say that if you go too long between meals your metabolism slows down. So not eating actually makes your body pack on the pounds more when you do eat. That's why they say to eat regularly and healthy food.

Robin
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #1628
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I do agree it is best to eat when one is hungry. I wasn't a breakfast person until I made breakfast my main meal of the day. I include protein, veggies, grains. It fills me up and I am not hungry later. I used to work nights and used to eat "breakfast" around 4:00 a.m., lunch around 9:00 a.m. and my evening meal around 1:00 p.m. It was hard to get back to sleeping during the night and at first I would wake up hungry at 4:00 a.m. You can train yourself to eat breakfast. Theoretically, it should be within a short time after getting up, regardless of the hour. This is because the natural state of one's body is to want fuel after waking up. Many people are out of the habit of eating breakfast and get hit by HUNGER or CRAVINGS mid-morning. It is hard to satisfy those cravings or turn off the hunger response if you don't eat sensible food.
My awake hours are a little wonky. I am awake usually around 9. I am not hungry till noon. Then we have dinner around 5 and take a 2hr nap. Then I stay up really late so somewhere between 11pm to 1am I usually want a snack. I go to bed again somewhere around 2 to 4 am.

Robin
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #1629
Master Chef

You have to eat, to lose. Stupid saying, however, it's true. I went years eating a couple times a day and gained. Now that I know that eating small amounts and the right food, 6 times a day, I am losing.
I lost another 2 lbs, so, now it's 15lbs off and I'm excited again, lol
If you have to eat that late, make it good food. Vegetables, fresh or frozen, not canned, are the best. If you make a habit of eating something small when you get up, you will get use to it. Your metabolism is like a fire. If you don't stoke and feed it, you goes out. You have to keep it burning.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #1630
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post

My awake hours are a little wonky. I am awake usually around 9. I am not hungry till noon. Then we have dinner around 5 and take a 2hr nap. Then I stay up really late so somewhere between 11pm to 1am I usually want a snack. I go to bed again somewhere around 2 to 4 am.
So what do you snack on?

If you're eating your first meal at noon and your second meal at 5 pm, it's not surprising that you're hungry again 6 hours later For your schedule, that's dinnertime.

This reminds me of our experience visiting our German exchange student and his family. They had their main meal in the middle of the day, an afternoon snack of coffee and pastry, and a smaller meal of cold cuts and bread in the evening. You could have something relatively light, like soup and/or sandwiches around midnight.