"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 09-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #1641
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I've been saying that for years.

I think we have to re-learn to listen to our bodies. Our bodies will usually tell us not only when it's a good time to eat, they will tell us what we need to eat.

Ever get a craving for OJ? You probably need vitamin C. Ever eat a pork chop and the visible fat was really yummy at the beginning of the meal and then at some point it tasted gross? That's your body telling you that you need fat and then telling you that you have eaten enough fat.
I do believe our bodies tell us when we need to eat, but not so much about what we need. Does anyone ever get a "craving" to sit in the sun? Vitamin D only comes naturally from sunlight, which is why it's added to so many foods. And it's only relatively recently, historically, that citrus has been easily available to Europeans and North Americans and scurvy was stamped out.

I read years ago that research showed that people who eat until they're not hungry anymore weighed less than people who eat until they're full. There's also some amazing new research focusing on how the bacteria that live naturally in our guts affect our lives, including obesity, diabetes and other diseases: You Are Your Bacteria: How the Gut Microbiome Influences Health
The bacteria in our gut already plays an important role in digestion. But new studies indicate that our bacteria could play a major role in whether or not we become obese

Old 09-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #1642
Head Chef

Haven't seen Charlie around on this thread , how are you doing Charlie ?

Old 09-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #1643
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
They also run for long periods
Before they eat, not usually after.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #1644
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Do you have a source for that? I'm not trying to be difficult; I have serious digestive issues and I am very interested in learning as much as I can about the digestive system, metabolism and nutrition.

I don't have a source right at hand, but if I look around I might be able to find one. I think I have read that more than once, but I just don't remember exactly where. I don't think you are being difficult. We are having a discussion, and learning from each other.

TaxLady - As far as the lions gorging themselves and then taking a nap, isn't that what we all do on Thanksgiving? LOL I think animals like that have to hunt for their food. They may have to go a long time before they find something to eat, and then it might be a very long time before they have another kill to eat. It's survival. Most people have food readily available and don't have to eat that way.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #1645
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post

TaxLady - As far as the lions gorging themselves and then taking a nap, isn't that what we all do on Thanksgiving? LOL I think animals like that have to hunt for their food. They may have to go a long time before they find something to eat, and then it might be a very long time before they have another kill to eat. It's survival. Most people have food readily available and don't have to eat that way.
I'm just saying that after a heavy meal or a meal with a lot of meat/protein, I think a nap is a good idea. Those kind of meals tend to make us sleepy. I try to listen to my body. If I'm sleepy, I take a nap or go to bed, if I can.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #1646
Executive Chef

Quote:
I don't have a source right at hand, but if I look around I might be able to find one. I think I have read that more than once, but I just don't remember exactly where. I don't think you are being difficult. We are having a discussion, and learning from each other.

I didn't spend a lot of time searching and some of what I did find was discussions such as ours. Anyone can post anything on the internet and I did not find anything that I would consider reliable info. I did find this article that says that if you are hungry when you go to bed you may have disturbed sleep, so it's better to eat something. If not, it's ok to go to bed without eating something. But it sounded to me as if they were talking about eating a small snack, not a full meal, and they were talking about eating it a few hours before bedtime, not right before you go to bed.

The Effects Of Sleeping On An Empty Stomach | ThatDiary.com

I did read somewhere at one time that you shouldn't eat before going to bed, but apparently that has been debunked. I only know that if I eat before I got to bed I am uncomfortable and don't sleep well. That is me, personally.

Now I will move on to the breakfast thread, where I will be listing my breakfast of crow sandwich.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #1647
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
...Now I will move on to the breakfast thread, where I will be listing my breakfast of crow sandwich.
Good one, Carol! Thanks for reporting back. We don't eat dinner shortly before bed, but the evening meal is generally the big meal of the day for us.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #1648
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm not doing so well today. Ate all the wrong foods tonight, mostly a box of english almond toffee the neigbors brought over for us watching their dog. No exercise today as we spent most of the afternoon/evening getting ready for a rummage sale on Saturday morning. Feeling guilty.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #1649
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I'm not doing so well today. Ate all the wrong foods tonight, mostly a box of english almond toffee the neigbors brought over for us watching their dog. No exercise today as we spent most of the afternoon/evening getting ready for a rummage sale on Saturday morning. Feeling guilty.
The next time someone gives you something like the toffee, save it for the café and put it on the counter for the customers to take a free piece. They will appreciate it and remember your kindness. Good PR for the café. And you lose the guilt. Along with more weight.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:47 AM   #1650
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Don't feel guilty!!!!!!!

Use the experience to determine the who, what, when, why and where of the situation and move on.

I fall off the wagon from time to time and I find that each time it happens I learn a little something about the triggers that cause it to happen.

~~~~Each time I find myself laying flat on my face,
I just pick myself up and get back in the race~~~