"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 09-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #1701
Master Chef

Thank G-d kids are very willing to help to get rid off the candies. :-) I did have only one small one last night though. Change was to great to deny my self. I can forgo sugar in the tea. But could never ever resist chocolate, dark chocolate that is. Could not care less for milk chocolate.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #1702
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Dark chocolate is the best one to pick, both for lower sugar content and higher antioxidants. It also has a richer taste so you can eat less and still feel satisfied. I have 1 ounce of dark chocolate a day, usually 60% cacao and above.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:51 AM   #1703
Master Chef

Have to admit drinking doesn't help. My oldest came into town, which doesn't happen note then once a year, so we had a very nice get together with the whole family. My parents came over. I usually do not drink, but it was just so nice, by that I meant my father behaved a and did not argue with anybody. I just had to have a couple of shots well maybe more, who counts after 10 or so... Will restart tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #1704
Executive Chef

If a messy kitchen is a happy kitchen, then this kitchen is delirious.

I like that, PF! In fact, right now, my whole house is delirious!
Old 09-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #1705
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
If a messy kitchen is a happy kitchen, then this kitchen is delirious.

I like that, PF! In fact, right now, my whole house is delirious!

Mine, too...need to fix that.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #1706
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Thank G-d kids are very willing to help to get rid off the candies. :-) I did have only one small one last night though. Change was to great to deny my self. I can forgo sugar in the tea. But could never ever resist chocolate, dark chocolate that is. Could not care less for milk chocolate.
Normally I wouldn't care less if chocolate vanished off the face of the earth. Don't like it much. Possibly a result of my age. I was born in 1949 and in the aftermath of WWII sweet rationing lasted until 1954 - it was considered more important to import raw materials to rebuild industry and pay off the wartime debt than to import sugar for sweets and chocolate.

But I digress. Because I didn't have a limitless supply of chocolate as a small child I suppose I never got a taste for it. However, If I am not eating properly I can get really serious chocolate cravings. (I've been told that this may be because choc contains iron - don't know if this is true) To combat the cravings I take a one-a-day multi-vitamin and mineral supplement which seems to stop any cravings for chocolate.

I just pass this on in case it helps anyone else.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #1707
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I ate very little candy of any kind as a child. It was only for special occasions. I did not find this a hardship, since I had no cavities and the kids who ate candies did. One friend, who ate a lot of candy, had 12 cavities by the age of 10. I ate a lot of fruit.

But, as an adult, I adore good chocolate.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #1708
Chef Extraordinaire

Did not get to exercise today, I did get in the pool for 90 mn yesterday. Had to run errands after work then school conferences for the daughter (14). All is well, all "A's".
I did stay in my calorie range today. : )
Old 09-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #1709
Master Chef

Strangely there were not always food to buy in Soviet Union. But there were always dark chocolate in the stores. Sometimes a piece of chocolate and a glass of milk were all we had to eat. One would think I'd have an aversion to those two products, but I love both. Can drink milk with a good candy bar on any given time.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #1710
Chef Extraordinaire

When I was an exchange student in Germany, we went to East Berlin. We had to spend a certain amount of East German Marks. We bought chocolate from the Soviet Union. It wasn't very good chocolate, as I recall.

Onto the weight loss issue. Since having changed when I eat my big meal (breakfast) and how I eat (June 2012), I have now officially "shrunk" three sizes. My size 10 pants are too big, and the size 8s are comfortable. I hope to plateau at some point. I can't afford new clothes. I don't have any size 6s in the closet.