"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 09-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #1741
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I might try this technique:

They have that cartoon taped on the scale at my cardiologist office!

Old 09-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #1742
Executive Chef

I fell off the (diet) wagon big time over the weekend so today when I was invited out to lunch I thought "What the hell" and went. I had thick slices of lamb rump cooked perfectly with just a little pinkness, and roasted veg (carrot, sweet potato and parsnips) accompanied by the most gorgeous creamed potatoes, followed by fresh fig tart and cream, And, what's more, I had a glass of wine with it - so there! I probably won't need to eat again today.

Back on the Slimming World plan tomorrow. Class and weigh in on Wednesday.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #1743
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I fell off the (diet) wagon big time over the weekend so today when I was invited out to lunch I thought "What the hell" and went. I had thick slices of lamb rump cooked perfectly with just a little pinkness, and roasted veg (carrot, sweet potato and parsnips) accompanied by the most gorgeous creamed potatoes, followed by fresh fig tart and cream, And, what's more, I had a glass of wine with it - so there! I probably won't need to eat again today.

Back on the Slimming World plan tomorrow. Class and weigh in on Wednesday.
Every so often you need to treat yourself. You main dish was a balanced nutritional meal.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #1744
Master Chef

Well today was Doctor day!

A1C held steady at 6.3 and his evil scale registered a 10 pound loss, I was sure it would be more like 20!

The slow pace gets discouraging, but I'm still a loser in his book!
Old 09-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #1745
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Fantastic A1C! Good job!
Old 09-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #1746
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Fantastic A1C! Good job!
Thanks, I think I am finally getting the hang of this eating business after almost 60 years of trying to figure it out!
Old 09-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #1747
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Thanks, I think I am finally getting the hang of this eating business after almost 60 years of trying to figure it out!
It's an evolving process process as you age, different needs for different stages of your life. Unfortunately, my cravings still think I am 20 years old.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #1748
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Wow!!! That is impressive. That is five sizes. Hubby has a whole new girlfriend.
Thank you Addie!

Deep water class tonight then aqua chi, it takes all of the stress out of my day.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #1749
Chef Extraordinaire

I personally don't like the word "diet." It suggests that once you lose the weight, you can go back to your old eating habits. I prefer "new eating habits" that will last a lot longer than diet efforts. Change how you eat, and you will keep the weight off. Diet and the weight will come back on after you go back to your old eating habits. Simple. Add more exercise (a pound of fat is about the same as a pound of butter, a pound of muscle is about the size of a golf ball--you can lose fat and gain muscle and still weigh the same, but not wear the same size clothes--hence the reason why I don't weigh myself) and you will feel better and look better.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #1750
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I personally don't like the word "diet." It suggests that once you lose the weight, you can go back to your old eating habits. I prefer "new eating habits" that will last a lot longer than diet efforts. Change how you eat, and you will keep the weight off. Diet and the weight will come back on after you go back to your old eating habits. Simple. Add more exercise (a pound of fat is about the same as a pound of butter, a pound of muscle is about the size of a golf ball--you can lose fat and gain muscle and still weigh the same, but not wear the same size clothes--hence the reason why I don't weigh myself) and you will feel better and look better.
That's why I like Slimming World. There's nothing faddy about it and there's no-one telling you you'll go to hell if you have a gin and tonic or a slice of toast. It's about re-learning how to eat sensibly and healthily.

And it works - I've played hookey for the last two weeks but I went this evening and way-hay, I've lost 5 pounds! I want to do it slowly and I don't want to part with much more than a pound a week. I don't want to be left with a lot of loose skin after the fat has gone!

I don't exercise as such - I reckon shovelling and carting two wheelbarrows of wet straw and manure (sorry if you're in the middle of your lunch) to the muck heap twice a day and walking half a mile a day to and from the field with the horse means I'm let off the treadmill.