"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 10-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #1791
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Do you mean you can't function? Or you're not allowed to work with narcotics in your blood.
Not many people want their nurses to be on narcotics while taking care of them...I'm not allowed to work with narcotics on board, good thing I hate taking them.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #1792
Chef Extraordinaire

Not such a good week for me on eating well. I have continued to exercise, but eating the wrong foods. Stepped on the scale before going in the pool, I gained 3 pounds. : ( Plans to start cutting out the bakery & candy, tough with halloween just around the corner.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:57 AM   #1793
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Not such a good week for me on eating well. I have continued to exercise, but eating the wrong foods. Stepped on the scale before going in the pool, I gained 3 pounds. : ( Plans to start cutting out the bakery & candy, tough with halloween just around the corner.
You seemed to have lost some of your resolve since the surgery. Try to remember that the purpose for Halloween is to pass out the candy, not take it in. We have to get you back on track. I know you can do it. Go girll!!
Old 10-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #1794
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Not many people want their nurses to be on narcotics while taking care of them...I'm not allowed to work with narcotics on board, good thing I hate taking them.

Oh, I understand. Most companies, even those not in the medical field, do not want their employees on narcotics, but allow it if it is prescribed and does not interfere with work performance. I feel so much better when I take Percocet, but I do not take it unless it's prescribed after surgery. Then I take one a day to stretch it out as long as I can. I don't think I ever took enough to become dependent, but only because the doc would not prescribe that much. I could very easily become an addict.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #1795
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You seemed to have lost some of your resolve since the surgery. Try to remember that the purpose for Halloween is to pass out the candy, not take it in. We have to get you back on track. I know you can do it. Go girll!!
Thanks Addie, I'm having a better week, so far, but it's only Tuesday!
I'm back to tracking my food on line & being more conscience of what is going in my mouth. Not opening that bag of candy until the kids start coming to the door for trick or treating Thursday night...Halloween.
Thanks for your support!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #1796
Cupcake

Someone might have already posted this, so I apologize if I did not see it in this thread. Several at my job are trying to lose weight. Many recommended a web site called Lose-It. What I like about it is that it has tools for logging food, will keep count of calories, will log exercise, and has forums. It has a terrific app for your phone and allows you to scan the bar code on foods to add to your diet. Friends can become a group and post on each others homepage to motivate and get motivated. Plus, it is free.

I recently joined up. There is a premium version for $39/year, which isn't too spendy compared to other options. With the premium version, it will give nutritional information, etc.

It's not hard to use, but it is not as simple as some of its more expensive competitors. *coughsWeightcoughsWatchers* However, it is a fraction of the price. I've been using it. Many of my co-workers are using it. Just want to toss it out there.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #1797
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thanks, Kathleen, I bookmarked it to look at this weekend.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #1798
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the tip. I will check that site out also. I currently use sparkpeople.com,, but I'm always looking for new ideas.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:56 AM   #1799
Head Chef

There is a free app called my Fitness pal which is very useful , try using it to track what you eat , it adds up the calories . You can put recipes in too and it will work out the calories per portion plus it shows you the nutritional values .

It is soooo easy to eat more calories than you need so keeping a check can be an eye opener .
Old 10-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #1800
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
There is a free app called my Fitness pal which is very useful , try using it to track what you eat , it adds up the calories . You can put recipes in too and it will work out the calories per portion plus it shows you the nutritional values .

It is soooo easy to eat more calories than you need so keeping a check can be an eye opener .

I use FitDay. I am also registered at SparksPeople, but I can't figure that one out.