"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 10-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #1801
Chef Extraordinaire

Great tips, When I get a chance I will check both of those web sites, Fitness pal & FitDay, out. Sounds like right up my alley!

Old 10-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #1802
Chef Extraordinaire

I got in the gym for 45 mn today, just 25 mn on the bike then lifted weights for 25 mn, just to change it up a bit.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:47 AM   #1803
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I would love to try accupuncture for my lower back but cost is an issue with me, too. I am OK throughout the day but it kills me during the night.
I don't know what the prices are in the States, but I have had acupuncture treatment for two issues. I went to a physiotherapist who was certified to practice a form of deep tissue accupuncture--it worked wonders on my chronic lower back pain and also resolved the issue where I could not turn my head and look over either shoulder. The treatments were $55 a session, and it took about 4-6 sessions to fix a problem with which I had lived for 25 years. I have been lower back pain free since 2005. And, I can still see over my shoulder. The acupuncture treatment for the sciatica nerve pain was $60 and I only required the one treatment. Some insurance plans cover acupuncture up to a certain amount. I was able to use the cost of the treatments on my tax returns under medical expenses.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #1804
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I would love to try accupuncture for my lower back but cost is an issue with me, too. I am OK throughout the day but it kills me during the night.
Carol, are you on Medicare? If so, have you read that nice thick book they send you every year? Check to see if it is covered.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #1805
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Carol, are you on Medicare? If so, have you read that nice thick book they send you every year? Check to see if it is covered.

I doubt if it's covered. Mine doesn't even cover my chiropractor, but he is a friend and charges me a minimal fee.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #1806
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I doubt if it's covered. Mine doesn't even cover my chiropractor, but he is a friend and charges me a minimal fee.
Carol, Medicare is a federal program. And if you are on your state's Medicaid what Medicare doesn't pay for, Medicaid will pay the balance. Medicaid will also pay for your premiums for your Medicare.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #1807
Executive Chef

I am not on Medicaid, just Medicare. I do not qualify.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:44 AM   #1808
Chef Extraordinaire

Okay SB, checking up on you. How much of the Halloween candy do you eat?
Old 11-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #1809
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Okay SB, checking up on you. How much of the Halloween candy do you eat?
Thanks for checking Addie! I was careful what I ate all day, I did splurge & have 3 fun size twix & 2 fun sized snickers & some hard candy. I ended up only going 50 calories over my goal for the day. We had over 100 trick or treaters for 5 hours, very busy neighborhood here. It felt like I had a sugar hangover, not much for an appetite the day after. Got some time in the gym yesterday. I'm feeling much better, overall, about eating this week, & exercising this week. Maybe the pool today.
Hope all is well with you Addie!
Old 11-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #1810
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Thanks for checking Addie! I was careful what I ate all day, I did splurge & have 3 fun size twix & 2 fun sized snickers & some hard candy. I ended up only going 50 calories over my goal for the day. We had over 100 trick or treaters for 5 hours, very busy neighborhood here. It felt like I had a sugar hangover, not much for an appetite the day after. Got some time in the gym yesterday. I'm feeling much better, overall, about eating this week, & exercising this week. Maybe the pool today.
Hope all is well with you Addie!
Glad to hear the good news. At least you are aware of the dangers in special holidays. Now we have to get you through Thanksgiving. Here's one watching over you and what you eat.