"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 11-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #1851
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Good for you. How are the muscles toning up? If you want your stomach to tone up really good, an easy exercise is when ever you are laying down watching TV or just resting, hold both legs up just a couple of inches and count to five. Do this about three or four times. Eventually you will get the count up to ten. Be prepared to really feel the muscles in your thighs and tummy really pulling and getting tight. After about two weeks you will begin to see a big difference. Do it when you first get in bed. Anytime you are laying down.
That is a new exercise for me, I will try it out later tonight, thanks again for the great advice!! My stomach is starting to feel tighter, I can tell because I can feel it in my incision, it's about 10" long right down the front of my stomach. It's been 7 months since my surgery, it's all healed up looking but I can feel it on the inside. My upper thighs do need a lot of tightening though. I will definitely work the exercise you mentioned. Thanks again!!

Old 11-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #1852
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
As a diabetic, fruit and popcorn are 2 things I have to avoid, as they spike my blood sugar. I can do small quantities of mandarin oranges or pears. Diabetic educators tell us that fruit sugar is handled differently by the body and will not spike blood sugar, but the proof is in the blood sugar meter.
I have the same problem. And I love fruit. Beets, corn, peas, carrots are just some of the veggies loaded with natural sugars. Watermelon has a lot of nutrients in it, but it has more sugar than nutrients. It is a reality of life. Even natural sugars in foods are not always the best choice. If I eat just three green grapes, my sugar can shoot from 110 to over 200 in a matter of minutes.

I asked my son Poo, how come if orange juice is the best thing to take when you are having a sugar crash, then how come eating an orange is good for you. The answer was that your body handles the sugars more slowly with the flesh of the orange, but eventually you sugar will start climbing. You are still taking in the natural sugar of the fruit. Sugar is sugar! And it is a main contributor to becoming overweight.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #1853
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Looking back, I don't see where I said you were wrong. I was only stating my own experience. I have no idea who on this forum has what medical conditions and even if I did, I would not attempt at giving them medical advice.
Sorry, it came across as you were contradicting what I had said.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #1854
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have the same problem. And I love fruit. Beets, corn, peas, carrots are just some of the veggies loaded with natural sugars. Watermelon has a lot of nutrients in it, but it has more sugar than nutrients. It is a reality of life. Even natural sugars in foods are not always the best choice. If I eat just three green grapes, my sugar can shoot from 110 to over 200 in a matter of minutes.

I asked my son Poo, how come if orange juice is the best thing to take when you are having a sugar crash, then how come eating an orange is good for you. The answer was that your body handles the sugars more slowly with the flesh of the orange, but eventually you sugar will start climbing. You are still taking in the natural sugar of the fruit. Sugar is sugar! And it is a main contributor to becoming overweight.
Just to add to that, it's the fiber in whole fruit that slows down the absorption of the sugar in it. Fiber and protein both have that effect.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #1855
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Just to add to that, it's the fiber in whole fruit that slows down the absorption of the sugar in it. Fiber and protein both have that effect.
I think that years ago people had an instinctive understanding of these things. If you look at various customary food pairings things like eating fruit and cheese together. Also complementary proteins that make complete proteins like milk paired with whole grains or corn paired with beans etc... Somewhere along the lines we seem to have lost that instinctive or intuitive sense, too many cheese curls and froot loops I guess!
Old 11-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #1856
Cupcake

My weigh-in was today. (It should have been tomorrow, but I went a day early.) I'm down two pounds!
Old 11-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #1857
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
My weigh-in was today. (It should have been tomorrow, but I went a day early.) I'm down two pounds!

Fantastic, Kathleen!
Old 11-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #1858
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Way (weigh) to go Kathleen.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #1859
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Yea, Kathleen!!!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #1860
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Take a bow Kathleen. Keep up the good work. Way to go!