"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 11-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #1861
Chef Extraordinaire

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
My weigh-in was today. (It should have been tomorrow, but I went a day early.) I'm down two pounds!
Congratulations Kathleen!! So happy for you!

Old 12-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #1862
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Hello, my name is Mike and I'm a sugar addict...

Today is day 4 without sweets. I'm trying to break the sugar cravings. Stress is one of my sugar triggers and once I start on sugar, I crave it all the time!

2014 will be the year I finally make it below 200 pounds, I've come so far, but the last couple of years have been ones of battling to not gain weight, and not really losing any more.

I'll never be free of sweets, but if I can stop the cravings I'll be much better off! I never want to quit sweets all together, but get back to the point where I'll only eat good ones, not mindlessly eating whatever is available.

Being hypoglycemic, my body makes it really difficult to give up the sweets. As soon as my body isn't used to getting them all the time my blood sugar levels will be much more stable and low blood sugar issues will become rare.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #1863
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post

Today is day 4 without sweets. I'm trying to break the sugar cravings. Stress is one of my sugar triggers and once I start on sugar, I crave it all the time!

2014 will be the year I finally make it below 200 pounds, I've come so far, but the last couple of years have been ones of battling to not gain weight, and not really losing any more.

I'll never be free of sweets, but if I can stop the cravings I'll be much better off! I never want to quit sweets all together, but get back to the point where I'll only eat good ones, not mindlessly eating whatever is available.

Being hypoglycemic, my body makes it really difficult to give up the sweets. As soon as my body isn't used to getting them all the time my blood sugar levels will be much more stable and low blood sugar issues will become rare.
Hello Mike!!

My name is Fiona, I am also a sugar addict...

Good Luck! Just holler when you need support! We want to help you succeed.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:48 AM   #1864
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post

Poor Rob, no more treats!

For me the only way to break the cravings is to go on a no carb diet for a few days and then gradually add back a few "good carbs".

I wish you the best of luck and if you come up with any tips that seem to work for you please pass them along!
Old 12-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #1865
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Well, the house is filled up with junk at this point, my mom loaded us up with lindt truffles and other candy before she left. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I was going on a sugar boycott for a few weeks! Rob will be just fine

Having blood sugar that plummets at the blink of an eye, low carb and no carb are a no-go for me. I'll tell you the first couple of days was a bit rough, my body was used to getting a bunch of sugar, and my blood sugar was dropping every couple of hours, so I had to have some crackers handy at work to level out, but I really REALLY wanted sugar! Once I'm at the point where I'm only eating sweets on occasion, the low blood sugar issues almost go away. I actually get hungry instead of having to eat because the blood sugar is starting to drop.

Yesterday was a day off, and our plan was to lounge around on a cold and rainy day, I STILL didn't eat any sweets! It's getting easier every day.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #1866
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I had my last piece of fudge for the season last night. Time to get real, again!
Old 12-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #1867
Cupcake

I will be back on the wagon come January 6. Though...I will likely be more mindful starting on the first.

To get things started, we organized the kitchen. A much needed chore.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #1868
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Kitchen organization...very important.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #1869
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Kitchen organization...very important.

Yep...I stashed the chocolate in an inconvenient location.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #1870
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Yep...I stashed the chocolate in an inconvenient location.
Mines behind the catnip...If I get a treat, so do they!