"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #1871
Chef Extraordinaire

I forgot to bring my diaretic pills when we left for Christmas break, After the pool tonight, I weighed myself at the gym & I gained 8 pounds. that just cannot be right. I'm sure the weight has gone up some, but not to that extreme. Very discouraging seeing the scale go up that high.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:19 AM   #1872
Chef Extraordinaire

I cut refined sugar, "white" and everything wheat from my diet in June 2012. I wore a size 14 then. I now wear a size 6 or 8. I also eat my big meal with the most amount of protein in the morning. Don't have a clue how much I weigh, but my friends tell me that I'm skinny. I feel great.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:27 AM   #1873
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I forgot to bring my diaretic pills when we left for Christmas break, After the pool tonight, I weighed myself at the gym & I gained 8 pounds. that just cannot be right. I'm sure the weight has gone up some, but not to that extreme. Very discouraging seeing the scale go up that high.
Is that the scale you usually use? Not all scales are calibrated the same, so it could be off.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #1874
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Is that the scale you usually use? Not all scales are calibrated the same, so it could be off.
I haven't weighed myself since 1989. I don't believe in scales. I turn my back when I get weighed at my doctor's office. I go by how "big" my clothes are. It works for me.

Because I eat my daily portion of protein before noon, cut wheat and white from my diet,, I don't have cravings. Fortunately, I've never been a "carbs" person and I don't miss the sweets, bread, or other things that contain wheat. A friend is staying with me for a few months. She needs to lose some weight. I'm doing the cooking, so she's eating like I eat. We'll see how that works. I've got lots of size 14 and 12 clothes waiting for her.

Cut wheat and refined sugar out of your diet and you'll be amazed at how quickly the weight comes off.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #1875
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
And don't forget that weight can shift a lot from day to day depending on how bloated you are. my weight can fluctuate a good 3 pounds if I've been eating in restaurants for a few days. The combination of eating more than I'm used to and the salt content gets me every time.

My doctor's scale always weighs me heavy, If I could stand on it naked, I would!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:54 AM   #1876
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I haven't weighed myself since 1989. I don't believe in scales. I turn my back when I get weighed at my doctor's office. I go by how "big" my clothes are. It works for me.

Because I eat my daily portion of protein before noon, cut wheat and white from my diet,, I don't have cravings. Fortunately, I've never been a "carbs" person and I don't miss the sweets, bread, or other things that contain wheat. A friend is staying with me for a few months. She needs to lose some weight. I'm doing the cooking, so she's eating like I eat. We'll see how that works. I've got lots of size 14 and 12 clothes waiting for her.

Cut wheat and refined sugar out of your diet and you'll be amazed at how quickly the weight comes off.
I'm unfortunately a carb lover! I just have to be smart about it and not eat it with every meal. It's easy to get on a cycle where carbs are breakfast, sandwiches and chips or fries for lunch and pasta and other starches for dinner. Don't get me wrong, I would love to get away with eating this way, but I know that I cannot. Then add in the soda and other sugary drinks...

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #1877
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I'm unfortunately a carb lover! I just have to be smart about it and not eat it with every meal. It's easy to get on a cycle where carbs are breakfast, sandwiches and chips or fries for lunch and pasta and other starches for dinner. Don't get me wrong, I would love to get away with eating this way, but I know that I cannot. Then add in the soda and other sugary drinks...
Pick up a copy of the book, The Wheat Belly. I still eat dried fruit, but use lettuce or rice wraps for my sandwiches. And, limit how many times / year I eat poutine! I am a protein addict. Love protein and veggies. Rarely eat pasta or starches.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #1878
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I haven't weighed myself since 1989. I don't believe in scales...
I was asking simonbaker, since she said she was discouraged by her result
Old 12-31-2013, 02:52 PM   #1879
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post

My DH was eating that way, too. In September, he conducted a professional-development trip for teachers where they stayed overnight at a state park lodge and I helped him plan the meals; breakfast included vanilla Greek yogurt with granola for a topping and he's been eating that ever since. I've also been making soups and stews more. We got him a Thermos and he takes some soup or stew and a piece of fruit for lunch.

I reminded him that combining protein and complex carbs gives a feeling of satisfaction and fullness, so you don't get hungry as soon as if you only have, say, toast with butter and jelly for breakfast. Hope this helps.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #1880
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I hope it's off, but I try to always weigh myself the same day, the same time on the same scale. I started back on my diaretic medications. Hope that will help some of the excess water weight off. Thanks for the positive thoughts!