"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 01-18-2014, 05:06 PM   #1891
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
LOL, I REALLY want to eat a spoon full of icing!
No, no! You have been doing really good. Find a couple of those little Hershey miniatures in dark chocolate. That is all you are allowed for now!.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:15 PM   #1892
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
No, no! You have been doing really good. Find a couple of those little Hershey miniatures in dark chocolate. That is all you are allowed for now!.
I have a bunch of truffles and other chocolate in the pantry, just taunting me, that and peppermint Joe Joes from Trader Joes! Ain't gonna do it!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #1893
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I have a bunch of truffles and other chocolate in the pantry, just taunting me, that and peppermint Joe Joes from Trader Joes! Ain't gonna do it!
Has it ever occurred to you to give them to someone who doesn't live in your home? Out of sight, out of mind? To keep them is not a challenge, it is setting yourself up for failure.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #1894
Master Chef

Quote:
Has it ever occurred to you to give them to someone who doesn't live in your home? Out of sight, out of mind? To keep them is not a challenge, it is setting yourself up for failure.
That's how it works in my house!

If I clear away all of the goodies I do just fine because I'm too lazy to go out and get a treat when I have a craving. If I have treats in the house and I have a craving I end up ripping the cupboard doors off trying to get to it!

Was Jekyll the fat one or was that Hyde, hmmm!
Old 01-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #1895
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
I look at it just the opposite. So far for over 3 weeks I've been SUCCESSFUL avoiding sweets that are in my house. I'll never be able to avoid sweets all together, I need to learn to live with them. I work all day with sweets, there are often "spare" cookies and cake around.

I want to be clear, I'm not giving up sweets for the long term, just learning to have a different relationship with them!

Old 01-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #1896
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I look at it just the opposite. So far for over 3 weeks I've been SUCCESSFUL avoiding sweets that are in my house. I'll never be able to avoid sweets all together, I need to learn to live with them. I work all day with sweets, there are often "spare" cookies and cake around.

I want to be clear, I'm not giving up sweets for the long term, just learning to have a different relationship with them!
I find this a healthier (mentally) way to manage this. I too have dark chocolate in the house, it's there if I want it. I'm really good at not wanting it. When it is all out of the house is when I get the incredible cravings for it and MUST HAVE it. I eat (and buy) more then and it's hard to get back under control.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #1897
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I find this a healthier (mentally) way to manage this. I too have dark chocolate in the house, it's there if I want it. I'm really good at not wanting it. When it is all out of the house is when I get the incredible cravings for it and MUST HAVE it. I eat (and buy) more then and it's hard to get back under control.
I agree, when I have none in the house is when I seem to have the most intense cravings. We seem to want things that we don't have.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #1898
Chef Extraordinaire

I am still working hard on the 5 pounds I gained over Christmas week. It wouldn't take much to gain all of the weight back. I just like all of the wrong foods way to much!
Old 01-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #1899
Chef Extraordinaire

I started tracking my food again, helps to stay accountable on calorie intake.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:56 PM   #1900
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I started tracking my food again, helps to stay accountable on calorie intake.
Great! It does help when you veer off the course.