"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #1941
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Doing an exercise that you enjoy, is not even an exercise. It is fun.
It really is! I find it hard to believe it's exercise, I like it to much!
__________________

__________________
simonbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #1942
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I went & bought a snorkel for the pool, I love it, don't have to worry about taking a breath above water. I went swimming today & swam for 1 hour & 40 mn. Feeling woen out, but really good.
Now you have to snorkel in the ocean, and see all the beautiful fish!
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:07 PM   #1943
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Now you have to snorkel in the ocean, and see all the beautiful fish!
I would love too! We do not get to the coast very often. I love to travel but there is never enough money or time to go.
__________________
simonbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #1944
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I would love too! We do not get to the coast very often. I love to travel but there is never enough money or time to go.
Not a lot of ocean around SD, Can you get to the Florida Keys, SB? Some nice snorkeling, but the water isn't nearly as clear as my fave, Cozumel, or my other fave, Kauai. There are some really good, cheap rates on cruise lines right now. We took my mom on a cruise many years ago, and got her out snorkeling every port stop, she loved it!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:19 PM   #1945
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Not a lot of ocean around SD, Can you get to the Florida Keys, SB? Some nice snorkeling, but the water isn't nearly as clear as my fave, Cozumel, or my other fave, Kauai. There are some really good, cheap rates on cruise lines right now. We took my mom on a cruise many years ago, and got her out snorkeling every port stop, she loved it!
We were in Fl a couple years ago but didn't get much further than Daytona. If I get a cahnce to run into some extra $ I would love to go, anytime! It's always been a wish to go to some island, here's hoping I win on a lottery ticket!
__________________
simonbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #1946
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmaker60 View Post
All of us Italian's called it gravy, all others call it sauce.

I consider gravy to be something made from the drippings of meat, but then I am as far from being Italian as you can get......English and German.

From what I just read online, it depends on the part of the country (US) you're in.
__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:38 PM   #1947
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmaker60 View Post
All of us Italian's called it gravy, all others call it sauce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I consider gravy to be something made from the drippings of meat, but then I am as far from being Italian as you can get......English and German.

From what I just read online, it depends on the part of the country (US) you're in.
Yup, it seems to be a term used mostly in the North Eastern US. I never heard Italians use that term here in Canada.

This seems like a very likely explanation:

"The term gravy is used to describe any sauce made from meat and/or its drippings. When Italians came here from the old country, remember, they didn’t speak English, so they used a term that closest meant to what they were trying to say… for them, it was gravy. Now we call it sauce (which is what it is) but either term is fine."

from Sunday Gravy | SicilianCulture.com
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:43 PM   #1948
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I consider gravy to be something made from the drippings of meat, but then I am as far from being Italian as you can get......English and German.

From what I just read online, it depends on the part of the country (US) you're in.
And that is just it. The Sunday gravy is made with the meat drippings in the gravy. Meatballs, spare ribs, braciole, All those meats add their drippings to the gravy.

You pour gravy over food. And that is what you do with Sunday gravy. You put a small amount over the pasta that is in a big bowl. Then put the rest in a pitcher to be poured over each individual plate of pasta.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:20 PM   #1949
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
And that is just it. The Sunday gravy is made with the meat drippings in the gravy. Meatballs, spare ribs, braciole, All those meats add their drippings to the gravy.

You pour gravy over food. And that is what you do with Sunday gravy. You put a small amount over the pasta that is in a big bowl. Then put the rest in a pitcher to be poured over each individual plate of pasta.
Traditional gravy is a béchamel sauce that begins with the meat drippings as the fat. Sunday "gravy" is made from tomato sauce flavored with the meat drippings. So it's a sauce, not a gravy.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:34 PM   #1950
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,945
I weighed myself for the first time since my original gallbladder surgery almost two weeks ago and then the liver problems. I have lost 9 lbs. Not the way I would like to but I will take it!
__________________

__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.