"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #1991
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
SB, I used to be a strong swimmer, but with my back fracture and knee replacement I am not able to swim....yet. I just walk in the water. The pool I go to is 25 meters, with 15 of those going from 4 feet to 5 feet (up to my neck). I walk that far and count 10 as being 150 meters so 30 is 300 meters.

I just realized that I was totally out on my calculations - I did 300 meters, not 900 like I thought. Oops! I didn't do as well as I "bragged", but I am still very happy with my accomplishment! In fact, this makes much more sense.
I would have to do the water walking in the kiddie pool...the 5 foot mark is the top of my head...

You still did great and fantastic LP, you did it, you got out there and did it!

Old 03-15-2014, 01:09 PM   #1992
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I would have to do the water walking in the kiddie pool...the 5 foot mark is the top of my head...

You still did great and fantastic LP, you did it, you got out there and did it!
Thanks Princess.

At 5'9" I am the "shortest in my family. My sister is 5'10", both parents were 5'11" and my nephews are 6'4" and 6'5"! I am actually 5' 8 3/4" but it's just easier to say 5 9!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:45 PM   #1993
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm the shortest, even among the nieces and nephews. Everyone else is over 5'7" with my brother topping out at 6'4". Shrek is also the shortest in his family...at 5'7".
Old 03-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #1994
Chef Extraordinaire

You are doing great Laurie! I like the deep end of the pool (12 ft.) The thing I can do is float. I am not real fast but I like to stay in the water for a couple of hours. It's like a release for me. A way to get away from everyone. All day long is customer service for me in our cafe, by the end of the day, I am done w people. Day off for me today. After church today I went shopping, briefly, w our daughter (15). I am so very happy to report that I am done in the plus size department!! HAPPY DANCE!! I'm at a size 16. Still a ways to go but it sure felt great!
Old 03-16-2014, 06:18 PM   #1995
Certified Cake Maniac

Oh, SB, you give me such great hope! I long to be a 16 again. Congratulations! I know exactly how you feel. When I did the pool walking a few years ago I had to buy new jeans and they were a 16. I still have them and will know when I am ready to try them on again.

The pool is a very relaxing place. I talked briefly to another lady as we passed doing our own things but otherwise I was in my own world, just taking it all in.

I had a really rough night last night and the "mystery pain" in my left side has been acting up. But I am still hoping to make it to the pool tomorrow. If the pain is there, I may just do a couple of very slow lengths and then go in the hot tub. But usually exercise helps it. I think it is either a muscle spasm or my sciatica. The medical profession has no answers - I just add it to my other chronic pains and get on with life!

Old 03-16-2014, 09:51 PM   #1996
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Oh, SB, you give me such great hope! I long to be a 16 again. Congratulations! I know exactly how you feel. When I did the pool walking a few years ago I had to buy new jeans and they were a 16. I still have them and will know when I am ready to try them on again.

The pool is a very relaxing place. I talked briefly to another lady as we passed doing our own things but otherwise I was in my own world, just taking it all in.

I had a really rough night last night and the "mystery pain" in my left side has been acting up. But I am still hoping to make it to the pool tomorrow. If the pain is there, I may just do a couple of very slow lengths and then go in the hot tub. But usually exercise helps it. I think it is either a muscle spasm or my sciatica. The medical profession has no answers - I just add it to my other chronic pains and get on with life!
You have a great attitude about it. There should be more people in this world like you. A lot of people, myself included, can learn so much from you!
Old 03-17-2014, 01:24 AM   #1997
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
You have a great attitude about it. There should be more people in this world like you. A lot of people, myself included, can learn so much from you!
Aww, I have my moments - like when I can't get comfortable and can't sleep and no one can hear me I cry like a baby.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:54 AM   #1998
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
...After church today I went shopping, briefly, w our daughter (15). I am so very happy to report that I am done in the plus size department!! HAPPY DANCE!! I'm at a size 16...
What a great threshold to cross! Congrats SB. Keep up the good work. I felt good when I fit into my "skinny pants" - size 16 also. Now enjoy those 16s even more as they get looser.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #1999
Chef Extraordinaire

Back to the pool today after work. Deep water aerobics then onto aqua chi. I did get an extra 20 mn of swimming in in between classes.

Thanks to all for the wonderful support!!
Old 03-17-2014, 11:28 PM   #2000
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm the shortest, even among the nieces and nephews. Everyone else is over 5'7" with my brother topping out at 6'4". Shrek is also the shortest in his family...at 5'7".
I'm the shortest in my family at 5'6". I had an uncle who was "Big" name and a cousin "Little" name. Big "name" was 6'5", Little "name" was only 6'3-1/2". Everyone on my mom's side of the family is/was tall...except for me. We credit that to the Scandinavian genes on my mom's side since she is 75% Swedish. The short gene I inherited must come from my dad's side of the family...