"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #2021
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The most sensible diet I've seen is the no-flour, no-sugar diet. Eat nothing made with flour (bread, pasta, crackers, cookies, cakes, muffins, etc.) or sugar, including that hidden in labels on processed foods. This almost forces you to eat only whole, homemade foods and gets rid of the empty calories.

That reminds me - I read this recently on Michael Ruhlman's blog:

Cooked Food for Thought (and Speech) | Michael Ruhlman
I follow the no-flour, no-sugar rule most of the time and the eat-protein-in-the-morning/biggest meal in the morning rule. I still get lots of carbs in my fruits and veggies and lots of natural sugar. I do not eat processed food, however, I do use various sauces (srirachi, soy, hoisin, etc.), but no ketchup. I use tomato paste (homemade) or homemade salsa instead of kethcup. That would be the limit re: processed food in my house.

Whenever I watch Rachel, I can't help but notice she almost always uses cheese and almost always uses pasta. I'd like to know the nutritional value of the dishes she prepares...

Old 03-20-2014, 03:22 PM   #2022
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

Cutting out sugar and bread reduces calorie intake. It's that simple
BINGO!

Whatever restrictive diet that you go on, you'll be reducing your calories by a lot. Carbs are very calorie dense so when you cut them out, you are cutting out hundreds of calories per day. When doing very low carb, you suddenly have a lot of calories to fill with less calorie dense foods.

And I'm not saying that carbs don't contribute to weight gain, or insulin issues, they sure an of eaten or drunk in excess.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #2023
Master Chef

Different diet and exercise methods work differently for each of us. Like the color of clothes. YOU might look good in yellow, but if I wear it someone is bound to ask me how long I've been dead...

BUT do you all see what we just did here folks? We took a perfectly fine support thread and turned it into a debate! Again!! It seems like we're all sniping at each other a lot lately. Winter's been tough on most of us (don't want to hear about your warm weather tinlizzy and Cheryl ) and it's probably time we all just relaxed a bit. If we're going to continue this discussion on the merits of varying diets maybe someone should take the initiative to start us a new thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Back to the pool today after work. Deep water aerobics then onto aqua chi. I did get an extra 20 mn of swimming in in between classes.

Thanks to all for the wonderful support!!
Way to Go Simon! Swimming is so soothing for both the body and the mind.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #2024
Certified Cake Maniac

RB, congrats on the weight loss - 5 pounds can be a real boost because it shows you can do it! Keep up the good work, you are obviously on the right track.

SB, glad you got your deep water in again. I missed the Y yesterday because of my sciatica, but TB put it in very nice terms. He said "last week you went once (Friday) and so far you have gone once this week so if you go Friday it will be twice and then you can try for three times next week"! It is nice to hear the positive side!

I am doing stretches at home and am still feeling my pants a little loose so that is a good sign. I am still not eating a lot but trying to eat healthy.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #2025
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The doctor is happy with my weight loss...she is not happy with the anemia...she was surprised to find out they didn't send me home on an iron supplement after the surgery and huge blood loss. I am now on an iron supplement for the first time in my life.

Any way, looks like I need to go out for my walk, I'm too healthy to sit around.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:06 PM   #2026
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That's because muscle weighs more than fat!!!!!!!

Hey Everyone!!!! SB is making muscles!!!!
Thank you Pf. Very much appreciate your support. I just wish that darn scale would go down. I so much just want to get under that 200# mark!
Old 03-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #2027
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Different diet and exercise methods work differently for each of us. Like the color of clothes. YOU might look good in yellow, but if I wear it someone is bound to ask me how long I've been dead...

BUT do you all see what we just did here folks? We took a perfectly fine support thread and turned it into a debate! Again!! It seems like we're all sniping at each other a lot lately. Winter's been tough on most of us (don't want to hear about your warm weather tinlizzy and Cheryl ) and it's probably time we all just relaxed a bit. If we're going to continue this discussion on the merits of varying diets maybe someone should take the initiative to start us a new thread.

Way to Go Simon! Swimming is so soothing for both the body and the mind.
You are right, this needs to be an encouragement thread!

Weight loss is such a confusing subject with so many opinions that it just serves to confuse the public, and there is more and more questionable information coming out all the time.

Do what works for you!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #2028
Chef Extraordinaire

I am not looking for a quick fix diet. I just want something to live with, eating healthy, for a long life with a minimum in aches & pains. I am always going to "cheat" with ice-cream, chips & candy, but I believe it's unrealistic to think I can completely live with out these items. They just need to be incorperated into my kind of diet. Although I will continue to exercise daily & eat healthy, most of the time, it's a lifelong thing.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #2029
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes, CG, you're right - this is supposed to be about supporting our buddies. I'm glad to know you're all making progress.

SB, I understand your frustration at not meeting your goals as fast as you'd like; my husband is in the same situation. But you're getting healthier and more fit, and that's important, too
Old 03-20-2014, 09:35 PM   #2030
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Working on the muscle making is not a plateau in weight loss, you are trimming up and building structure now after removing the fat supports. Does that make sense? This is an important step in the process. And I am so stoked that you have made it. You can't kick out all the supports without replacing it with a strong structure...