"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #2041
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Sugar and white bread are not carbohydrates?
One must also try to understand how I could snack on beef jerky, Slim Jim's, bacon, eggs and the like and still lose weight?
All very high calories snacks, yet I still shed the weight.
Where did I say sugar and white bread are not carbohydrates? I said reducing / eliminating (don't feel like looking up the exact wording) those things reduces calories which leads to weight loss.

Not knowing your complete diet and exercise regime during that time, I can't say.

You repeatedly "misunderstand" what I say. I think you need to pay more attention to what I actually say and try not to add to it.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #2042
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,853
RB, while it may not seem like it, I do have a nuanced understanding of these things. It's just too much to go into in a forum like this and as Cooking Goddess said, this thread isn't the place for it. If you want to continue discussing it, please start a new thread. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:33 PM   #2043
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Thanks, your Ogerness, for the kick in the butt. I love you too and so I didn't even take the time to reply. I just got dressed and drove to the Y. I did my 30 lengths (a few backwards to work on different muscles) and relaxed in the hot tub.

I didn't have any serious jabs on the drive there or back and I have only minor pain now. You nailed it - my fear was outweighing my confidence. So, that was one time last week, two times this week....can we say three next week?
You can do it! I'm sure of it! You are doing great so far, keep it up. The water is like medicine, you just have to decide to use it.
I am planning on the pool tomorrow as well.

Back in the gym today for me after work today, 100 minutes. 35 on the elliptical & 30 on the bike. I did a few weight machines, lighter weights this time to avoid the pain. My legs did feel stronger on the elliptical tonight. I appreciate everyones support on the weight/muscle thing. People seem to recognize me losing weight now, crazy thing is..I'm not. I understand the whole muscle structure thing, I just want the scale to go down.
__________________
simonbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:46 PM   #2044
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
You can do it! I'm sure of it! You are doing great so far, keep it up. The water is like medicine, you just have to decide to use it.
I am planning on the pool tomorrow as well.

Back in the gym today for me after work today, 100 minutes. 35 on the elliptical & 30 on the bike. I did a few weight machines, lighter weights this time to avoid the pain. My legs did feel stronger on the elliptical tonight. I appreciate everyones support on the weight/muscle thing. People seem to recognize me losing weight now, crazy thing is..I'm not. I understand the whole muscle structure thing, I just want the scale to go down.
Be patient grasshopper. It will happen.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:50 PM   #2045
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,928
Even with the sciatica, I am already finding I am a little more flexible. I did some stretches to ease the nerve and muscles and was able to go a little further with them than before the pool.
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:36 AM   #2046
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Thanks, your Ogerness, for the kick in the butt. I love you too and so I didn't even take the time to reply. I just got dressed and drove to the Y. I did my 30 lengths (a few backwards to work on different muscles) and relaxed in the hot tub.

I didn't have any serious jabs on the drive there or back and I have only minor pain now. You nailed it - my fear was outweighing my confidence. So, that was one time last week, two times this week....can we say three next week?
You are very welcome! Next week will just breeze by.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:43 AM   #2047
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
You can do it! I'm sure of it! You are doing great so far, keep it up. The water is like medicine, you just have to decide to use it.
I am planning on the pool tomorrow as well.

Back in the gym today for me after work today, 100 minutes. 35 on the elliptical & 30 on the bike. I did a few weight machines, lighter weights this time to avoid the pain. My legs did feel stronger on the elliptical tonight. I appreciate everyones support on the weight/muscle thing. People seem to recognize me losing weight now, crazy thing is..I'm not. I understand the whole muscle structure thing, I just want the scale to go down.
I think you need to take a vacation from the scale...like two weeks. Keep doing what you are doing except for weighing in. It is messing with your head, scales are known to do that. You have become immersed in what the scale "thinks", trust me the scale doesn't think, it only reacts. Work with a tape measure, get measurements of your arms, legs, waist...I bet you even have hips now!!! At the end of two weeks re-measure and compare to the original numbers.

You are doing so well, please don't get discouraged now.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:48 AM   #2048
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I think you need to take a vacation from the scale...like two weeks. Keep doing what you are doing except for weighing in. It is messing with your head, scales are known to do that. You have become immersed in what the scale "thinks", trust me the scale doesn't think, it only reacts. Work with a tape measure, get measurements of your arms, legs, waist...I bet you even have hips now!!! At the end of two weeks re-measure and compare to the original numbers.

You are doing so well, please don't get discouraged now.
What she said! You are doing well and I have "hidden" the scale for awhile. My pants are looser and my face isn't as full, but I know if I weigh myself I will also still be over the 200 mark so I try not to think about that.
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:20 AM   #2049
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
The old adage "eat less calories" just might work if every calorie was treated the same way by our bodies - but they most definitely are not. A calorie is not just a calorie. I hate to see that myth perpetuated. =/
It's not a myth until we can scientifically prove that it is wrong, which hasn't been done yet.

While I'm inclined to believe that some calories affect us differently than others just from my personal experience, there really isn't any solid proof that this is true, yet.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #2050
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
RB, while it may not seem like it, I do have a nuanced understanding of these things. It's just too much to go into in a forum like this and as Cooking Goddess said, this thread isn't the place for it. If you want to continue discussing it, please start a new thread. Thanks.
You sound very smart to me. If I misunderstood, that would be my mistake. I am not as sharp as I used to be.
I do try to understand your post's. I just wish you would get over it and try to understand mine.
I am here for the same reason you are. To learn and maybe share some of my limited experiences.
__________________

__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.