"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #2051
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
It's not a myth until we can scientifically prove that it is wrong, which hasn't been done yet.

While I'm inclined to believe that some calories affect us differently than others just from my personal experience, there really isn't any solid proof that this is true, yet.
It hasn't been proved? Or do you mean it hasn't been accepted by the health industry whose #1 motive, always, is to medicate you?

Calories. Are. Not. Created. Equally. <-- there are five articles you can click on to whet your whistle with with hundreds more available.

If we would eat real, nutrient dense whole foods [which means would be eliminating added sugars / HFCS] we'd pretty much never "over eat" or have to think about calories again. The source of calories consumed is exponentially more important than any calorie count.

Imagine 750 calories worth of spinach and tomatoes and mushrooms and carrots in a glorious soup or salad. Now picture that Big Mac w/ SMALL fries and a "diet" soda which is also equal to about 750 calories. Which dinner is better for your body? Which food satisfies your nutritional needs? Which meal would your body most effectively burn as fuel?

It's time to let go of the "health advice" from decades past. If it were accurate, and true, obesity would have been eradicated long ago; instead the obesity rate has steadily climbed over the past 50 years. The advice didn't help Eisenhower in the 1950's and it's not helping anyone today.

Quote:
1955: President Eisenhower suffers a first heart attack at age 64. He was put on a highly publicized low fat, low cholesterol diet. Over the next six weeks, twice daily press conferences were held on the president's condition. His total cholesterol at the time of the attack was 165 ml/dl. Eisenhower was ordered to eat dry toast and Sanka for breakfast and eat only 1 egg per week. His cholesterol continued to climb on a low fat, low cholesterol diet until it reached 259 the day he left office. Eisenhower had several more heart attacks and eventually died of heart disease.
Challenge the status quo. Be open and receptive to changing schools of thought - especially when the same-old-same-old is failing everyone miserably! We don't treat cancer or mental health issues with old and outdated treatments. Why embrace antiquated food / diet guidelines?

<3

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #2052
Chef Extraordinaire

SB, what PF said. Needing a new wardrobe is so more satisfying than numbers on a scale. Take out one of those plus sizes and hang it in sight. Then remember you made it all the way down to a size 16. Isn't it nice to have a waist and hips again?

Old 03-22-2014, 03:26 PM   #2053
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I think you need to take a vacation from the scale...like two weeks. Keep doing what you are doing except for weighing in. It is messing with your head, scales are known to do that. You have become immersed in what the scale "thinks", trust me the scale doesn't think, it only reacts. Work with a tape measure, get measurements of your arms, legs, waist...I bet you even have hips now!!! At the end of two weeks re-measure and compare to the original numbers.

You are doing so well, please don't get discouraged now.
Great advice! Done. No more scale for awhile.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:28 PM   #2054
Chef Extraordinaire

90 minutes in the pool today.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #2055
Certified Cake Maniac

Way to go, SB! You are such an inspiration to me!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:16 PM   #2056
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Great advice! Done. No more scale for awhile.
Like CWS says, the scale is a trap...at some point you have to get away from it. Other things are taking place now that you have lost the bulk of the weight...it's the other numbers that count now.

You are in the process of activating different mechanisms in your body and doing a fantastic job.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #2057
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
It hasn't been proved? Or do you mean it hasn't been accepted by the health industry whose #1 motive, always, is to medicate you?

Calories. Are. Not. Created. Equally. <-- there are five articles you can click on to whet your whistle with with hundreds more available.

If we would eat real, nutrient dense whole foods [which means would be eliminating added sugars / HFCS] we'd pretty much never "over eat" or have to think about calories again. The source of calories consumed is exponentially more important than any calorie count.

Imagine 750 calories worth of spinach and tomatoes and mushrooms and carrots in a glorious soup or salad. Now picture that Big Mac w/ SMALL fries and a "diet" soda which is also equal to about 750 calories. Which dinner is better for your body? Which food satisfies your nutritional needs? Which meal would your body most effectively burn as fuel?

It's time to let go of the "health advice" from decades past. If it were accurate, and true, obesity would have been eradicated long ago; instead the obesity rate has steadily climbed over the past 50 years. The advice didn't help Eisenhower in the 1950's and it's not helping anyone today.

Challenge the status quo. Be open and receptive to changing schools of thought - especially when the same-old-same-old is failing everyone miserably! We don't treat cancer or mental health issues with old and outdated treatments. Why embrace antiquated food / diet guidelines?

<3
I'm not going to keep this going, this is an encouragement thread.

I'm just going to stand by what I said and say that reduce calories below a certain threshold and you will lose weight. This is the easiest, simplest way for someone just starting out.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:25 PM   #2058
Head Chef

Ok. =)

And I'll continue to encourage new ways of thinking.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #2059
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
Ok. =)

And I'll continue to encourage new ways of thinking.
Fine. But please do it in Stray Thoughts or elsewhere in this forum. Losing weight is difficult enough without arguments and disagreements swirling about.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:36 PM   #2060
Master Chef

Hey! All of you who want to debate the merits of diets and calories and stuff...get a room! Um, I mean get a thread. How 'bout THIS one?

The Great Diet Debate: Calories, Carbs and Fat