"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-01-2015, 09:50 PM   #2141
Chef Extraordinaire

Record to date I'm up 8 pounds from a year ago. I am continuing to swim 3 times a week & usually twice a week in the gym. I feel great but should be eating better. This is such a supportive thread on DC. I am trying to get back on track, cut the carbs & work hard on eating more protein, which continues to be a challenge for me. I would again welcome the feedback & positive advice so many of you have given me in the past! : )

Old 03-01-2015, 10:35 PM   #2142
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Several of us have been changing to a Ketogenic Diet/Lifestyle and are having good luck with that. But, we are still ready to support you in your quest.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:45 PM   #2143
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hang in there, SB! We're all here for you!
Old 03-02-2015, 10:24 AM   #2144
Chef Extraordinaire

I knew you were in trouble when I saw you were not posting anymore. But I wanted you to see for yourself. If I were to say anything about the possibility of weight gain, it would most likely come across as nagging. You were on a diet vacation. We all take one of them every so often. So don't beat yourself up over this.

Simon I am on the other train. At one time in my life at 4'7" I was 180 pounds. I didn't walk, I rolled through life. Little by little over the years I worked on my weight without telling anyone. The people I know hate those who can accomplish what they can't. So anytime I was offered a food that I knew was not for me, I would tell them I was highly allergic to it. The last thing they wanted to see was someone get sick right in front of them. It took me a long time to get where I am today. Through the pregnancy and birth of my fifth child, I am now down to the weight where I was in the seventh grade. It has been a 40+ year battle. Up and down. Up and down. I am now down to stay. And I have a reminder of my battle. A layer of extra skin I no longer need. But I can live with that. From what I understand, it will tighten up and lessen as time go by.

Hang in there. I know you can do it. You have done it so far. Just concentrate on losing four of the surplus pounds. Once you get started the rest will fall off. And remember, we are here for you. Keep us up to date and we will always be here for you. That angel is for you.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #2145
Chef Extraordinaire

PF, I have a question for you.

If a person ingests food that their system cannot process, like raw roughage, lettuce, corn, etc., and the food exits in the same manner as it was swallowed, just a slightly different color; does the body extracts the nutrients?

Last night after having a tummy ache all day, I decided to have a small bowl of lettuce with dressing. I let it sit long enough for the lettuce to get soggy. Less that 30 minutes later it was leaving my body along with my tummy ache. Did I get any nutrition from eating the lettuce?

PS: I really tried to ask this as delicately as I could. I know there are folks here who also have the same problem. I hope I didn't offend anyone with my query. If I did, please accept my apologies.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:53 PM   #2146
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
PF, I have a question for you.

If a person ingests food that their system cannot process, like raw roughage, lettuce, corn, etc., and the food exits in the same manner as it was swallowed, just a slightly different color; does the body extracts the nutrients?

Last night after having a tummy ache all day, I decided to have a small bowl of lettuce with dressing. I let it sit long enough for the lettuce to get soggy. Less that 30 minutes later it was leaving my body along with my tummy ache. Did I get any nutrition from eating the lettuce?

PS: I really tried to ask this as delicately as I could. I know there are folks here who also have the same problem. I hope I didn't offend anyone with my query. If I did, please accept my apologies.
No, You used more calories eating it than you gained.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:34 PM   #2147
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Several of us have been changing to a Ketogenic Diet/Lifestyle and are having good luck with that. But, we are still ready to support you in your quest.
I would love to hear more about this Ketogenic lifestyle!
Old 03-02-2015, 10:24 PM   #2148
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Here are the threads we have been sharing on. Any of us can help you out with references and resources.

Ketogenic Diet for Controlling Diabetes

Low-Carbing with the Keto-Team
Old 03-02-2015, 11:43 PM   #2149
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I would love to hear more about this Ketogenic lifestyle!
I'm not scientist, nor do I pretend to be, but in a nutshell you limit the number of carbs that you eat so that your body learns to burn fat for energy instead carbs.

Keto (Low Carb, High Fat) more or less boils down to eating 20 net carbs in a day. Some people eat more, some less; but 20 seems to be the number that most everyone shoots for. Joseph Arcita's A Guide to Ketosis is fantastic site that explains how it works. And why.

I really can't say enough good things about the Reddit keto group. If you click on the link, you'll see a ton of info bookmarked on the right side of the page. That's the best place to start. =)

If you fill out the info on this Keto Calculator, it will help you figure out what your daily macros should be. The macros are the number of grams each of carbs, protein and fat you should consume based off of your current weight, age, body fat percentage, height, lean body mass and activity level. It boils down to always striving for 20g or less of net carbs, hitting your protein mark and using fats to round out the rest of your caloric intake for the day.

Check out Reddit's Keto Science for tons of scientific and medical information and studies. It's not an accident that it works as well as it does.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:36 AM   #2150
Wine Guy

Great description, Zereh!

The only thing I can add is that, by reducing carbs, you reduce blood glucose, which in turn suppresses your insulin response. Insulin is the hormone that causes your body to store excess glucose as fat. By suppressing it, you encourage the burning of body fat as fuel.