"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-05-2015, 07:50 AM   #2151
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Great description, Zereh!

The only thing I can add is that, by reducing carbs, you reduce blood glucose, which in turn suppresses your insulin response. Insulin is the hormone that causes your body to store excess glucose as fat. By suppressing it, you encourage the burning of body fat as fuel.
Not only has it been shown to help monitor diabetes, it has been shown to be effective for reducing high cholesterol levels as well. Long Term Effects of Ketogenic Diet in Obese Subjects with High Cholesterol Level - Springer

Old 03-06-2015, 09:32 PM   #2152
Chef Extraordinaire

The only thing I'm concerned about with this diet is how it will effect the 1 kidney I have left. A year ago they found a large mass next to my kidney & were unsure of what it was. The mass was the size of a softball, Doc's thought it was cancer. Thankfully, it was not. When taking it out they had to remove my left kidney.
Also, not sure I could force myself to eat so much meat, I do not digest it well & it gived me a lot of stomach issues.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:54 PM   #2153
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
The only thing I'm concerned about with this diet is how it will effect the 1 kidney I have left. A year ago they found a large mass next to my kidney & were unsure of what it was. The mass was the size of a softball, Doc's thought it was cancer. Thankfully, it was not. When taking it out they had to remove my left kidney.
Also, not sure I could force myself to eat so much meat, I do not digest it well & it gived me a lot of stomach issues.
SB, do you think you should be under a doctor's care if you are going to go back on your diet?
Old 03-06-2015, 10:10 PM   #2154
Chef Extraordinaire

I was recently at the doc for my annual last week. All was well. He said he saw no limitations, just to keep exercising & I need to work on dropping my cholesterol, & weight. He wasn't overly concerned about the 8 pounds i gained this year, he said just to be conscience of it more.
I know that I need to cut out carb's more.
I started pilatees 3 weeks ago, pretty painful at first. Makes a person fully understand those "core muscles". I also got my time down to 45 minutes for a mile in the pool (36 laps) Last Saturday I did 2 miles. I feel great about swimming. I just need a kick in the head about eating better.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:45 AM   #2155
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

This is a support thread and I stand fully behind you with any decision you make on how you want to handle your weight loss. Do what is right for you!
Old 07-09-2015, 01:13 PM   #2156
Assistant Cook

Congrats on making the commitment to eat healthier.

I woukd suggest gou rather swap ojt the stevia for brown sugar. Artificial sweeteners is horrible for you and should be avoided at all cost.

Another simple thing to is to swap out white for brown on everything such as sugar and bread.

White is more processed and lots of junk that makes one fat is added to it.

Good luck.

http://www.kitchenchatters.com/
Kitchen Chatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:59 PM   #2157
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Welcome to Discuss Cooking Kitchen Chatters.

While I agree that brown bread or rice are healthier, I have disagree about the brown sugar. White sugar is 99.9% sucrose. Brown sugar is about 96% sucrose. It's not going to make much, if any, difference health-wise which one is used. Over consumption of either one is not healthy.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:31 PM   #2158
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Welcome to Discuss Cooking Kitchen Chatters.

While I agree that brown bread or rice are healthier, I have disagree about the brown sugar. White sugar is 99.9% sucrose. Brown sugar is about 96% sucrose. It's not going to make much, if any, difference health-wise which one is used. Over consumption of either one is not healthy.
Well it's not just about sucrose. Brown sugar has more of the molasses. (Molasses has minerals like iron). I use molasses sugar i.e. in coffee and brown sugar (instead of white) in baking. Where colour may be an issue, I tend to use set honey in baking (reducing the quantity by a quarter - some info I recall reading).
Old 07-09-2015, 06:31 PM   #2159
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Well it's not just about sucrose. Brown sugar has more of the molasses. (Molasses has minerals like iron). I use molasses sugar i.e. in coffee and brown sugar (instead of white) in baking. Where colour may be an issue, I tend to use set honey in baking (reducing the quantity by a quarter - some info I recall reading).
How much iron do you suppose you get in brown sugar? I looked it up. 1 tsp (~3 grams) gives you 0.02 mg of iron. In 100 grams of brown sugar, you get 0.71 mg.

Sure, you can get more than a day's worth of iron (8 mg/day for adult males and women over 51, 18 mg/day for women 18-50) from a cup of molasses (15.91 mg of iron), but that's a whole cup.

Show Nutrients List
Old 07-09-2015, 06:46 PM   #2160
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
There isn't enough molasses in brown sugar to make a difference nutritionally.

Quote:
Because of its molasses content, brown sugar does contain certain minerals, most notably calcium, potassium, iron and magnesium (white sugar contains none of these). But since these minerals are present in only minuscule amounts, there is no real health benefit to using brown sugar.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/12/he...on/12real.html