"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-01-2016, 03:04 AM   #2181
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I am back on the healthy eating wagon, again.....
We discontinued our cafe & catering business at the end of 2015.
I am now working as a "Butcher" at a local grocery store in town.
It feels a little strange being out of foodservice as that is most all I have done for the past 35 years.
I' m looking for healthy options for boxed lunches, any good ideas out there?
Good to see ya!!!

If the boxed lunches are for you, I would say that the most important thing is to have a plan.

A grocery store can be a very dangerous place when you are having a hectic day and the Oreo cookies are just an aisle away!

How about:

Bag salad and a slice of meat or cheese from the deli.

Yogurt or cottage cheese from the dairy case and an apple from the produce department.

A roll from the bakery and back to the deli for the slice of meat or cheese.

If you have a break room with a microwave head for the soup aisle or the frozen food case and grab a single serving item.

Good luck!!!

Old 02-01-2016, 05:01 AM   #2182
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I am back on the healthy eating wagon, again.....
We discontinued our cafe & catering business at the end of 2015.
I am now working as a "Butcher" at a local grocery store in town.
It feels a little strange being out of foodservice as that is most all I have done for the past 35 years.
I' m looking for healthy options for boxed lunches, any good ideas out there?
I am so glad to see you again. I have been thinking about you for the past week. How is your daughter doing? Tough having a grown teenager. Yet it is a time to treasure. A time for mother and daughter to both watch her grow into a young woman.

How much of the weight you lost before have you been able to keep off? I lost 40 pounds last year and am holding it. I would like to lose about ten or fifteen more, but my health team tells me I am not 20 y.o. anymore. According to the latest health charts from the insurance companies, I should be 97 pounds. I would settle for 105/110. I was quite shocked when I found I could cross my legs. And I can now feel my hip bones. How did I do it? It wasn't really intentional.

As I am getting older and less active, I have a smaller appetite. So I use a salad plate, thus small helpings. Portion control. You did it before, I know you can do it again. You will always have me in your corner.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:12 AM   #2183
Sous Chef

Addie, you must be 4 foot 5 inches tall for any weight chart to tell you that you should weigh 97 pounds.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:48 PM   #2184
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am so glad to see you again. I have been thinking about you for the past week. How is your daughter doing? Tough having a grown teenager. Yet it is a time to treasure. A time for mother and daughter to both watch her grow into a young woman.

How much of the weight you lost before have you been able to keep off? I lost 40 pounds last year and am holding it. I would like to lose about ten or fifteen more, but my health team tells me I am not 20 y.o. anymore. According to the latest health charts from the insurance companies, I should be 97 pounds. I would settle for 105/110. I was quite shocked when I found I could cross my legs. And I can now feel my hip bones. How did I do it? It wasn't really intentional.

As I am getting older and less active, I have a smaller appetite. So I use a salad plate, thus small helpings. Portion control. You did it before, I know you can do it again. You will always have me in your corner.
I have been able to keep off 65# but gained back 35#, I just got back from the gym with my daughter (17) her first time there. Hoping to keep her going with me, it's great incentive for both of us. She isn't terribly overweight but could use some toning. Those darn donuts in the bakery at work need to come to a stop during my break & I also need ro cut out the soda pop, again.
Thank you for the tips Aunt Bea I will definitely use them.
It's trying to get used to taking breaks every 4 hours I have to take 15 mn & after 6 hours, I have to take an hour (unpaid). Most shifts are 12 hours: 45 hours a week. Working on trying to incorporate more protein into my diet, a daily challenge. Thanks again for all of the support!
Quitting the business was bittersweet. DH is continuing to do some catering & getting the paperwork caught up.
Hope all is well with your daughter Addie!
Old 02-01-2016, 09:07 PM   #2185
Senior Cook

Hi, I'm a type 2 diabetic who has lost over 30 lbs and gotten off diabetes meds through watching what I eat and exercising. Does anyone belong to MyFitnessPal? I use the calorie counter on that site. I'm looking to step things up and start cooking healthier meals at home. Which is what brings me back to this site.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:12 PM   #2186
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBrit View Post
Hi, I'm a type 2 diabetic who has lost over 30 lbs and gotten off diabetes meds through watching what I eat and exercising. Does anyone belong to MyFitnessPal? I use the calorie counter on that site. I'm looking to step things up and start cooking healthier meals at home. Which is what brings me back to this site.
I just started today on my fitness pal. Thank goodness I exercised today to absorb the way to many calories I had.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:13 PM   #2187
Senior Cook

Quote:
I just started today on my fitness pal. Thank goodness I exercised today to absorb the way to many calories I had.
Yeah, exercising is a good way to increase your calorie allowance for the day. Especially running.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:16 PM   #2188
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yeah, exercising is a good way to increase your calorie allowance for the day. Especially running.
My knees are shot, the only way I run is jogging in deep water.To many years on cement kitchen floors...
Old 02-01-2016, 10:41 PM   #2189
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I recommend that you check out Diabetic Cooking - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

And this thread, people have had some excellent results: Low-Carbing with the Keto-Team
Old 02-02-2016, 12:37 PM   #2190
Certified Cake Maniac

Hey, everyone! I haven't checked in here for awhile.

I gained a lot of weight in the last part of 2015 because my leg was acting up and I was not very mobile. When pain levels are bad I tend to eat comfort foods (easy prep) and when I am alone, it is a lot of junk food.

However, thanks to the flu, which I have had in varying degrees over the past several weeks, I have lost 7 pounds and cracked the 240 level once again. I am trying very hard to not get up there again.

I can start using the exercise bike slowly again so that will help. I just have to watch the knee. I have a CT scan set for Feb 16 so we will see after that if another surgery is needed. I really hope not. Every time I have a setback with one part of my health it affects the rest.

I am eating much better again, starting the day out with a green shake and eating small amounts more often. If the flu stays away I should be back on track!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote