"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-03-2016, 03:53 AM   #2191
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Hey, everyone! I haven't checked in here for awhile.

I gained a lot of weight in the last part of 2015 because my leg was acting up and I was not very mobile. When pain levels are bad I tend to eat comfort foods (easy prep) and when I am alone, it is a lot of junk food.

However, thanks to the flu, which I have had in varying degrees over the past several weeks, I have lost 7 pounds and cracked the 240 level once again. I am trying very hard to not get up there again.

I can start using the exercise bike slowly again so that will help. I just have to watch the knee. I have a CT scan set for Feb 16 so we will see after that if another surgery is needed. I really hope not. Every time I have a setback with one part of my health it affects the rest.

I am eating much better again, starting the day out with a green shake and eating small amounts more often. If the flu stays away I should be back on track!

Keep up the good effort SimonBaker. Like I said before, I am in your corner. Seventeen all ready? I remember you celebrating her 14th birthday. She is at the age now that the two of you can do a lot of activities together. She is now a young lady.

My daughter has been in remission for quite some time now. She goes for an MRI every three months to check on the tumor. The cancer is gone, but there was still a small piece of the tumor left. There is no way they can remove it without cutting out some of the brain. The tumor, on its own is slowly shrinking. All that is left is a small piece no bigger than her pinky fingernail.

Spike has still continues to be a tremendous help to me. My daughter finally gets well and my middle son Pirate becomes disabled. He applied for Social Security Disability and was approved in less than two months. Unheard of! Everyone I have ever known who applied was always denied and had to put in an appeal. Only then are they approved.

So this past week has been a really good week for both of us. He will be getting enough to find his own apartment and be able to support himself. Nothing but good news every day for him.

The bad part all these months was he could never get a straight answer from any of the doctors that he was sent to. It was Social Security that told him what they saw in his medical records that decided on such a quick and decisive decision. One of his doctors called him on my phone one day. He wasn't home. He was actually at another doctor's office. She continued to give me information about what was wrong with him. Personal information that should have been shared only with the patient. Even though I am him mother, she was in violation of patient confidentiality. What if he didn't want me to know? What if it had been a girlfriend posing as me? Pirate reported her to her supervising doctor of the clinic. She was taken off his case immediately.

It feels good to report good news all around.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:19 AM   #2192
Master Chef

Just back from my six month checkup, I'm down another 12 pounds. Two pounds a month ain't much but I'm happy that I made it through the fall/winter/holiday season with some progress.

Over the next six months he wants me to swap the low carb diet for the traditional exchange diet. The idea being to concentrate on a more balanced diet with a focus on portion control. I told him I would give it a try and see how it goes. When I followed the exchange diet before I was always experiencing hunger and uncontrollable cravings.

I think the phrase focus on portion control is doctorspeak for put down the fork and lose two pounds a week!

Old 04-20-2016, 11:24 AM   #2193
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Just back from my six month checkup, I'm down another 12 pounds. Two pounds a month ain't much but I'm happy that I made it through the fall/winter/holiday season with some progress.

Over the next six months he wants me to swap the low carb diet for the traditional exchange diet. The idea being to concentrate on a more balanced diet with a focus on portion control. I told him I would give it a try and see how it goes. When I followed the exchange diet before I was always experiencing hunger and uncontrollable cravings.

I think the phrase focus on portion control is doctorspeak for put down the fork and lose two pounds a week!
That's great news, Aunt Bea!

I'm dubious of exchange diets myself. I get a kick out of how doctors seem to think low carb diets are something new and controversial, when in reality they've been around since the 1800's in one form or another, and have a good overall track record.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:45 AM   #2194
Certified Pretend Chef

This morning the scale said I've lost 24 pounds. I think I'm close to an equilibrium point with my current dietary routine. The mini changes I've made have gotten me to this point. I'm not sure they will take me any farther. I have been fluctuating up and down a pound or so each weigh-in.

Not sure I'm ready for more drastic measures.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:46 AM   #2195
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post

I'm dubious of exchange diets myself. I get a kick out of how doctors seem to think low carb diets are something new and controversial, when in reality they've been around since the 1800's in one form or another, and have a good overall track record.
Dieting is not my doctor's strong suit, he is one of those fellas that weighs the same today that he did in college and is able to eat anything he likes without gaining an ounce.

I'll give it a try by adding a couple servings of carbs a day. It would actually be kind of nice to add a fruit or starch if I can do it without going overboard!
Old 04-20-2016, 12:01 PM   #2196
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
This morning the scale said I've lost 24 pounds. I think I'm close to an equilibrium point with my current dietary routine. The mini changes I've made have gotten me to this point. I'm not sure they will take me any farther. I have been fluctuating up and down a pound or so each weigh-in.

Not sure I'm ready for more drastic measures.
24 pounds is great!

The big thing is to maintain, when it feels right for you go to the next step.

Small changes can make a big difference when you are ready for the next step. Look at the things you do everyday and bargain with yourself over what to keep and what to let go. It sounds kind of hokey but salad dressing on the side, no butter on the toast, no mayo on the sandwich, every other burger without a bun, no more than 10 french fries at a meal, all help to cut another 250 calories per day out of your routine and that is enough to lose two pounds a month.

Good luck!
Old 04-20-2016, 01:26 PM   #2197
Master Chef

Good job everyone! I'm not trying to lose weight but since I starting doing every-other-weekend, overnight backpacking trips in my local mountains here I've lost a couple of inches around the waist.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:27 PM   #2198
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post

Since the 1800s? Actually, they were the traditional diet of many indigenous people.

I have Sámi ancestors. Carl Linnaeus spent a year in Sápmi (Lappland) in 1732. This is what he had to say about their diet,

“A Northern Lapp [Lapp was the word used for Sámis back then, please don't use it. It's offensive] lives only of meat, fish and poultry and hence becomes small, thin, light, nimble. A farmer, however, in Sweden’s southern provinces of the Skåne plains, eating peas, very much buckwheat porridge, and whose diet consists mostly of vegetable flour dishes, becomes tall, well built, stiff, strong and then heavy [meaning overweight/obese] ”

“The Northern Lapp does not eat bread but is an example of good health. I saw old men about 60 years of age running around in the mountains like children, even able to put their foot on their necks. My conclusion is that it is because the absence of bread. Everyone eating bread has an obstructed stomach.”
Old 04-20-2016, 06:37 PM   #2199
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Since the 1800s? Actually, they were the traditional diet of many indigenous people...
I'm not so sure about that. Maybe in the far northern latitudes, where wheat, rice, barley, buckwheat, millet, potatoes, etc., don't grow well, but the diet of most of the ancient agricultural societies was based on some sort of grain.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:06 PM   #2200
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Dieting is not my doctor's strong suit, he is one of those fellas that weighs the same today that he did in college and is able to eat anything he likes without gaining an ounce.

I'll give it a try by adding a couple servings of carbs a day. It would actually be kind of nice to add a fruit or starch if I can do it without going overboard!
I agree it would be very nice if I could do that too, but I find that even a taste of something like that puts me in a serious craving mode similar to an alcoholic never being able to drink again. So far I've lost 40 lbs on under fifty carbs a day, sometimes half of that, in the last seven months. I know I could have done better with more exercise though. I see to it that my Souschef gets his carbs with my low carb dinners, but even at that, he's lost 11 lbs, and he's happy too.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote