"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #221
Cook

I no longer feel the need to 'lose' weight. What I try to do now is just eat healthy. Does that mean I have totally given up on the foods I love? No way Jose.

The big things that I think have helped our family do better is to no longer eat out. And I mean not eat out at all. And we have let go of any processed foods what so ever. My husband still purchases dressings for his salads for work, but other than that we have let it go.

That means we do nearly all of our cooking from scratch. It wasn't a big leap for us, for we were nearly doing that already. But man do we enjoy eating better, plus the benefits have been well worth the effort.

We did not do it all at once. I chose one thing at a time within our home to redo and the first thing was boxed cereal. That was the first thing to go. Then I slowly but sure decided what it was I knew we needed to let go of, and Viola! were are just about where I think we are comfortable.

No sodas
No refined sugar
No processed foods

To me, those are the big ones.

The Cooking Lady
Treklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #222
Master Chef

i've taken to a healthy diet. i snack mainly, & without being hungry, i've lost 14.5 lbs.. 30 more to lose. i eat lite proteins & carbs balanced together at meals. & i allot myself 2 12-ounce regular pops to drink for breakfast. (a large from mc. & a can. i still unwind with a drink or 2 if i want to. i don't count calories, just inherently know what to consume. tuna, lite tofu, salads with lite catalina or my own blend, my own soups, chix, meatballs last nite, rice cakes with sugarless jelly or tuna, veggies, cottage cheese, string cheese, diet ricotta on toast, soy yogurt, puffed rice cereal with lite vanilla soumilk, especially french-cut grn. beans, lite bread, beans, sugarless jell-o, etcetera.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:12 AM   #223
Assistant Cook

We are what we eat. Eating healthy food promotes good health and unhealthy food habits lead to a diseased body. A nutritious diet while ensuring overall well being, helps to maintain a healthy Body Mass Index (BMI), reduces the risk of several debilitating diseases like cancer, cardiovascular ailments, diabetes, osteoporosis and stroke. here are five main food groups, they are:

Fruits
Vegetables
Cereals and Pulses
Dairy
Poultry, Fish and Meat products
Old 07-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #224
Head Chef

What are "pulses?"

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:43 PM   #225
Cook

A really good thing to help cut down on eating is accurate scales.
We got one thats battery powered and is accurate.
Stuff weighed at the shop, like say, 927 gms of mince, weighs 927 grams on the scale at home, so you know your not getting ripped off.
Now I usually buy a kilo of mince and have the butcher put it into three bags of approx. 333gms in each so I can put them in the freezer and pull them when needed.
We normally make 3 burgers with 333 gms of mince, 2 for me,and one for the wife.
Noew I get 4 bags of 250gms insatead of 3 at 333.
So I chop up an union and mix in some bread crumbs and some of my home made tobasco sauce and that gets it back up to 333 from the 250gms.
So we eat less meat and thats gotta be a good thing.
Also, the scales are fun to play with.
I weigh everything now. Cereal, dog food, meat balls, fun WOW!
Old 07-30-2009, 02:08 AM   #226
Sous Chef

Pulses don't sound too edible, whatever they are. Back from cruise, now on diet again. Lots of veggies, fruits, decaf ice tea. Start the day with oatmeal and skim (no fat) milk. No salt, sugar, etc. For a sweetener I use Splenda. For supper I make up a veggie combo (12+ different veggies), steam it in the micro, sometimes add cooked white chicken chunks, use a low cal stir fry sauce to wet it down a bit. Also do broc or caulif in the micro and use a very low fat cheese sauce. For lunch celery and carrot sticks, grapes, fresh pineapple. Diet works but get boring after a while.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:52 AM   #227
Assistant Cook

Count me in.
I am trying to lose weight. I am Just cutting back on servings. Eating on a smaller plate. Being on the computer helps as i am home all day, when i am not doing errands.
I have had so far, an egg and raisin bread.
Salad for lunch
Salmon, salad and a small baked potato for dinner, may not have the potato, only with a little lite sour cream on it if I do. Hubby loves choc so may baked choc chip cookies, but not my fave so probably won't eat any. I am a salty person, like chips, don't dare buy them.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:09 PM   #228
Assistant Cook

Everyone I know is looking to loose weight. I'm all up for this.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:50 PM   #229
Sous Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirl2009 View Post
Count me in.
I am trying to lose weight. I am Just cutting back on servings. Eating on a smaller plate. Being on the computer helps as i am home all day, when i am not doing errands.
I have had so far, an egg and raisin bread.
Salad for lunch
Salmon, salad and a small baked potato for dinner, may not have the potato, only with a little lite sour cream on it if I do. Hubby loves choc so may baked choc chip cookies, but not my fave so probably won't eat any. I am a salty person, like chips, don't dare buy them.

Cut out the salt entirely! I'm a "salt person" too but after going without for a couple of weeks I don't miss it anymore; actually some things taste salty without adding more!

Instead of "light" sour cream, etc. use Fleischman's margerine; much better for your blood pressure and other stuff your doctor will yell at your about. Trust me on that.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:00 AM   #230
Assistant Cook

I guess all women go through that period at least once (or one million times) in their life!

But I believe that if we follow some basic rules, it doesn't become hard. These are the most important, I think:

1 - Reduce / cut sweets
2 - Don't eat right before meals
3 - Move it!
4 - Eat several small meals even if you are not hungry - so that you really won't be
5 - Always have your breakfast
6 - Keep motivated!

i hope it helped!

Abby's Choice . wordpress
abbychoice is offline   Reply With Quote