"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 08-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #231
Sous Chef

Excellent advice - - - and for persons of the male persuasion, too.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:01 PM   #232
Assistant Cook

I am giving this a try. I read about drinking some low sodium vegie juice, like v8 before meals and it helps you to not be so hungry, also good for you. And to follow the dash diet as close as possible, that cuts out the salt, to use Mrs.Dash instead of salt.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:15 PM   #233
Sous Chef

You can also use (get) a salt substitute made of Potassium Chloride which works quite well; just in case you get a "salt craving". Nu-Salt is one brand; Morton also put out one.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #234
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave the baker View Post
Excellent advice - - - and for persons of the male persuasion, too.
Thank you, dave the backer!

I am glad it was helpful!

Be well,
Abby

Abby's Choice . wordpress
abbychoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:27 PM   #235
Executive Chef

how can you maintain good weight when doc prescribes pills that may increase appetite? What is the reason for this? First they tell you to get weight off and then prescribe medication that makes you gain?
Old 08-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #236
Sous Chef

Change to a doc that listens
Old 08-06-2009, 08:20 PM   #237
Assistant Cook

Appetite pills

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
how can you maintain good weight when doc prescribes pills that may increase appetite? What is the reason for this? First they tell you to get weight off and then prescribe medication that makes you gain?
Hello!
In the first place, I guess it depends on what are the reason for that prescription. If the pills are vital to treat or cure a certain condition, you should just measure the pros and cons... Also, take into account if that effect is permanent or temporary, as it may wear off.

Try to talk to your doctor about it and explain to him/her how important to you it is to maintain your weight - maybe you'll have a second choice of pills.

If there is no other choice but to take the pills, you can find a strategy to maintain your weight - try maybe to talk to a nutritionist!!

I understand how frustrating it may be, but sometimes you just have to be a little McGiver :)

Good luck! There is always a solution! ;)

Old 08-08-2009, 06:47 AM   #238
Executive Chef

Thanks! I always feel of some importance when people respond so quickly. I am just starting on antidepressants and it seems more people are taking them. The doctor is kind of losing patience w/me due to the fact my body seems to have reaction to them. I sure wish I had guts to tell him I don't need them. When discussing antidepressants w/others seems like they respond that it is 'norm' and I am not. I often feel life is one big rock and we need all help we can get.

Thanks again and I want to say I feel like I am starving. Sure something I don't want to do is keep eating quick 'fillers'. I ate bag of chips yesterday and that wasn't good!
Old 08-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #239
Assistant Cook

Antidepressants

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
Thanks! I always feel of some importance when people respond so quickly. I am just starting on antidepressants and it seems more people are taking them. The doctor is kind of losing patience w/me due to the fact my body seems to have reaction to them. I sure wish I had guts to tell him I don't need them. When discussing antidepressants w/others seems like they respond that it is 'norm' and I am not. I often feel life is one big rock and we need all help we can get.

Thanks again and I want to say I feel like I am starving. Sure something I don't want to do is keep eating quick 'fillers'. I ate bag of chips yesterday and that wasn't good!
Hello,
I don't know why you started the antidepressants - if it really is for a depressive mood or for any medical condition which can be treated or relieved by the effects of antidepressants. Anyway, you should talk to your doctor and if you feel like he/she doesn't care about your concerns, you really should change doctor. The doctor/patient relashionship is, itself, therapeutic, and if that fails then you are already in a tortuous path.

Antidepressants do have that side effect, among others. I can advise you 2 things:
1 - When you crave and must eat something, try to avoid those killing foods - chips, sweets, fast-food... try to have fruits and vegetables. I know you must think "easy for you to say", but you might feel worse after that...

2 - Try to make some more exercise, as it releases endorphins in your organism, they are natural antidepressants. Exercise also has a cathartic effect, the same as food cravings, and so you will be distracted from eating.

I really recommend you expose your feelings to your doctor!

Good luck, hang in there!!

Old 08-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #240
Cook

ITK, I've Pm'd you....

I'm trying to lose weight, and I also decided to go veggie. It's made a big difference for me personally.
I managed to talk my carnivore DH into trying a vegetarian diet (i hate that word) for a month, to see hoe we feel. The only reason he agreed was because of his confidence in my cooking skills. (isn't he a sweetie?)
On January 1, 2009, I quit all soda, coffee, and meat of any kind.
I read a book, and it kind of opened my eyes about how my food gets to my plate, and I didn't like it.
So I buy as much local fresh produce as I can afford, I joined the local Co-Op (not just for hippies any more! ), and I've cut down on a whole lot of processed foods. I also try to watch my sugar and fat intake.

So far it's working. My energy level has increased, and my sugar cravings are nowhere as bad as they used to be, with that mothly exception. My skin has cleared up, and my body has lost that feeling I can only describe as "congested".
I've eaten meat here and there since then, I'm not being militant or difficult, but by and large, no meat has made a big difference.

Just my 2 cents. To each his own, to be sure. This is just what seems to be working for me.