"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-18-2010, 05:23 PM   #251
Chef Extraordinaire

did you start on a new medication before the weight gain. diabetic drugs can cause you to gain weight. some others as well, have that side effect. the only way i know how to lose weight is to eat less. sounds like you are doing a good job. don't cut foods you like completely out of your diet. you will just fail and eat them. allow yourself small portions of all most anything, including desserts. therein lies success.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:08 PM   #252
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I agree with you babetoo. I know this from experience. I have lost large amounts of weight twice before, by severely limiting what I allowed myself to eat, and gained it all back and then some.

I am on the journey again except that nothing is off limits. I try to eat the right things and stay within my calorie allotment 80% of the time, the other 20% I cut myself some slack and if I need some Ben and Jerry's, I have some! I have lost 60 lbs. this year, I am trying to lose slowly. This diet or lack of one seems effortless I don't have the crazy cravings that I had before.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #253
Master Chef

I know I need to start some diet, getting too heavy lately, but do not know where to start.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #254
Flour Child

Shave your beard and remove your hat, CharlieD (avatar)...that'll take off 20 lbs. right there .

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:15 PM   #255
Master Chef

Interesting idea, bu I really was more interested in around belly area!
Old 07-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #256
Head Chef

eat less, exercise more. One can always start by asking their doctor for advice.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #257
Flour Child

That's easy, CharlieD....just don't eat anything white. No processed sugar (and potatoes turn into sugar in your body). I'll do it with you . We can compare how many inches lost in our waist. Accountability helps with willpower issues. We'll have 6-pack abs in no time

Then we'll join kayelle on her next trip to Tahiti to show off our results!
Oh, almost forgot Alexandros the CabanaBoy & KathleenA in Icaria!
Anti-Aging Nutrition Food

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #258
Master Chef

I'll starve. Everything white is my favorite. Potatoe, noodles, white bread. I honestly do cannot imagine life without potato.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:18 AM   #259
Flour Child

Could you live, Charlie, if you made mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes? You could put Earth Balance Butter on them because that brand is made with only healthy oils like olive oil. And you can mash them with skim milk or Almond Unsweetened Milk (white but they don't count). If you don't think you can live without potatoes then that's okay but you'll have to go the route of smaller portions and lots of exercise.

As for pasta you can substitute whole grain pasta. I know some taste like cardboard but there are some brands that are deeeelish (i can't remember the brand name right now...anyone out there know?)

And for bread...you'll get used to whole grain bread in time (not whole wheat). In fact, eventually, you'll prefer the extra flavor and texture over plain white. Trader Joes has a whole grain bread with wheatberries that is awesome. It has purple on the packaging (look for wheatberries listed under the name).

It takes 30 days to break old habits. Can you hang in there for 30 days?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #260
Flour Child

Charlie, I read that Ronzoni Multigrain pasta is excellent...and it's not white . Whole wheat pasta often has white flour in it...but not wholegrain pasta. Some prefer Ronzoni to white.