Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am having really hard time with my weight lately. I've gain probably 10 pounds and I do not feel comfortable carrying it.

When people say "have an apple to curb your appetite", well if I have an apple my appetite only gets bigger. Think I need help. Or I will be a huge blob in no time.
:(

I am having really hard time with my weight lately. I've gain probably 10 pounds and I do not feel comfortable carrying it.

When people say "have an apple to curb your appetite", well if I have an apple my appetite only gets bigger. Think I need help. Or I will be a huge blob in no time.
Do not give up! Start drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day, that helped me get started. We all will have setbacks. Start with small steps: walk around the block this afternoon. It's a lifestyle change that will make you feel better.

Thank you Simon, one of my big problems - not enough sleep. Walking is not going to happen, simply becasue of my schedule. I can check here as much as I want becasue I am on PC all day and nobody knows what is on my second monitor. BUt to leave office is nearly impossible in my 15 minut break. I'll try ther watter thoughj. I am really bad about it. I have to forth (or is it force?) my self to drink.

I'm doing fine with the water part...but getting up and moving is a problem. Since I quit smoking, I no longer take breaks that get me outside for a walk.

im cooking more at home and trying to teach my kids eating out is a treat not something that u have to eat everyday. I let my kids help me with some stuff and they like that because they are very involved. I lost 125lbs and since they see me smaller they want to be healthy as well.

That's great keep going like that :)

I've recently helped my dad to lose weight.
Little by little, I spent a few months in France at their place so I started right away.
First, I was in charge of its meal and of what was in the fridge (no tentations, no eating) I made him what he liked, even pastries, but everything was in small quantities. "Slowcarbs" like pasta or bread at everymeal. I just tried to make him reduce the amount of food he was having. Then he started to lose a lot at first, so he got motivated.
Little by little I added more vegetables. Sometimes just a salad (big one) for dinner. Always a dessert (to complete his apetite) Now I've left France but he kept going on that same behaviour : Just reducing quantities, and drinking sparkling water (he doesn't like regular one) and he lost almost 70 pounds already. Slowly (because we started in April) but it works.
And he doesn't feel on a diet at all.
At first he complained " what ! that's ridiculous so few pastas" but after the dessert he wasn't hungry anymore. And if he gets hungry during the day he has 2 things he knows he can eat/have : orange juice, and hard boiled eggs, as a snack.

Having me caring may have helped. But my sister did the same on her own, with a lot of sports and she lost 85pounds already.

Last edited:
CharlieD said:
Thank you Simon, one of my big problems - not enough sleep. Walking is not going to happen, simply becasue of my schedule. I can check here as much as I want becasue I am on PC all day and nobody knows what is on my second monitor. BUt to leave office is nearly impossible in my 15 minut break. I'll try ther watter thoughj. I am really bad about it. I have to forth (or is it force?) my self to drink.

Can you walk before or after work, Charlie? Or break it into chunks? 10 minutes here and there. I try to get in at least 30 minutes a day and also have a recumbent bike/rowing machine for when the weather's bad. Walking really helps me to keep the pounds from creeping up!

Last edited:
I do know what you mean. At first it was tough for me to get enough water in too. My biggest thing is I don't drink that much of anything. But, once I started making myself drink 8 glasses of water it really helps fill me up.Putting a couple of drops of peppermint extract in the water helped me. When it's ice cold peppermint water it goes down pretty well.

I use a whole grapefruit as a snack to curb my appetite. The time it takes me to peel it and then eat it sort of stretches out the process and seems more satisfying than many other types of snack.

I fill 3 mugs with water each morning, the goal being for the mugs to be empty by noon. Repeat for afternoon. Have a glass of water before dinner to curb my appetite, then one right after (so I know not to go overboard on dessert!). Done. 8 glasses.

I quit smoking in January, I've gained 10 pounds, but only in the last 2 months. Now I'm back where I started 5 years ago and have 40 pounds to get rid of.

<...I lost 125lbs and since they see me smaller they want to be healthy as well.

I've recently helped my dad to lose weight.
>...and he lost almost 70 pounds already. <...my sister did the same on her own, with a lot of sports and she lost 85pounds already.

DeliciaKay76 and PPoppy, you two are inspirations to all of us! You've accomplished so much with your efforts! :bb::clap:

I'm seriously impressed with both of you!!!!:clap:

Congrats, and keep up the fantastic work! :clap:

I quit smoking a couple of years ago using Chantix and it worked great for me but, I did gain about 20 pounds. That came off pretty quickly with diet but now I have been struggling with the ancient fat. That has been more difficult for me. Since I developed diabetes the disease and the various medications have made it tougher for me to lose. I have finally stopped dieting and have begun to eat a diet based on the calories needed for a person of normal size. My theory is that I will learn how to eat normally and the weight will go on its own. So far this is working for me. I am trying to incorporate some exercise into my life and that is the hardest thing for me to maintain on a daily basis. With winter coming I think I will start walking the mall. I can use retail therapy to take my mind off of the exercise. I just need to sprint past the food court. :pig:

i hope no one regrets having quit smoking, or goes back to it because of weight gain. i made at least 20 serious attempts to quit smoking over a 25 year period,--even succeed on two occasions to stop for over a year. when i quit for good, (i think it's for good) my weight gain didn't taper off and stop like before. i've been struggling with weight on and off these last 19 years--but age, metabolism and other factors are the causes, not cigarettes. quitting smoking was the best thing i ever did in my lifetime, for my lifetime, to achieve a healthier body. nobody knows how much body damage can be reversed by giving up smoking. i do know that i am grateful every day that i'm no longer a smoker. every day i also wish i had quit many years sooner....

Last edited:
I quit smoking 14 July. I knew I would gain some weight. I have already gained 20 lbs and I needed to lose about 10 when I quit.

quitting cigarettes is a real victory for life, breath and health, taxlady, congratulations! weight challenges can be tough, but you can tackle them too...:)

I keep telling my doctor that in the last 2 years that I quot smoking I am less healthy than I ever was. I gain total of about 30 pounds, and first 20 i was kind of ok, but last 10 really are hard.

Back
Top Bottom