Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Powerplantop, amazing transformation! What an incredible effort you must have put into your weight loss. My husband is on a similar path. He is 6' and 240 lbs. right now and wants to get down below 200.

Kudos to everyone whose been losing. It sure takes a lot of patience.

I'm just 6 pounds away from my goal now. So close!!!

Powerplantop, amazing transformation! What an incredible effort you must have put into your weight loss. My husband is on a similar path. He is 6' and 240 lbs. right now and wants to get down below 200.

Thank you. I do think about what I eat so there is some effort everyday. But over all it is more about a life style change more than a diet. I sleep better and enjoy life a lot more now.

Had a nice salad for lunch- I've been trying to convince myself I like vinegarettes instead of ranch dressing, and I was somewhat successful today. I made my own zesty Italian and used about 1/4 of the oil called for, red wine vinegar instead of plain white, and I used extra vinegar to make up for the lack of oil. The recipe says to use extra water instead of the oil, but I really like the extra kick. At first I was adding an extra splash of red wine vinegar to the salad, but it's too easy to over-do it that way lol. I ended up with vinegar and lettuce soup one time. Why does the dressing even need oil? I certainly can't taste it. Do you think it would be ok if I didn't add the oil? The vinegar and seasoning are where all the flavor is at, isn't it?

Had a nice salad for lunch- I've been trying to convince myself I like vinegarettes instead of ranch dressing, and I was somewhat successful today. I made my own zesty Italian and used about 1/4 of the oil called for, red wine vinegar instead of plain white, and I used extra vinegar to make up for the lack of oil. The recipe says to use extra water instead of the oil, but I really like the extra kick. At first I was adding an extra splash of red wine vinegar to the salad, but it's too easy to over-do it that way lol. I ended up with vinegar and lettuce soup one time. Why does the dressing even need oil? I certainly can't taste it. Do you think it would be ok if I didn't add the oil? The vinegar and seasoning are where all the flavor is at, isn't it?

Have you ever considered using rice vinegar? It is not as strong and has a nice flavor. Adding your own seasonings just enhances it.

You don't have to use oil if you don't want to. Some people just put lemon juice on their salads. :chef:

Addie said:
Have you ever considered using rice vinegar? It is not as strong and has a nice flavor. Adding your own seasonings just enhances it.

You don't have to use oil if you don't want to. Some people just put lemon juice on their salads. :chef:

I haven't tried rice vinegar, but I like the red wine vinegar because of the strong flavor. I certainly wouldn't be against trying it- love trying new things, and it's good to switch things up so you don't get bored.

Dawgluver said:
DH really likes plain balsamic vinegar on his salads. No oil.

I have a balsamic glacé that I use. Again, I like it because it's concentrated and has stronger flavor lol. I bet THAT might be good mixed with a little oil and seasoning... Hmmmm It's also great for cooking. I use it with this bourbon brown sugar marinade. It calls for cider vinegar but I like my balsamic glacé in it

In a well mixed/shaken vinaigrette, the oil helps the vinegar and spices stick to the salad and not just pool in the bottom of the bowl. That is it's main function.

I like just putting alot of fresh squeezed lemon on a salad, it brings out a wonderful taste in all the fresh vegetables.

Runners World magazine mentioned recently a study done that indicates a bit of healthy fat like olive oil in salad dressing helps the body absorb a greater percentage of the nutrients in the rest of the salad's ingredients. They don't explain why though. I found that interesting.

Runners World magazine mentioned recently a study done that indicates a bit of healthy fat like olive oil in salad dressing helps the body absorb a greater percentage of the nutrients in the rest of the salad's ingredients. They don't explain why though. I found that interesting.
Those nutrients are probably fat soluble.

The fat soluble vitamins are A,D,E, and K.

I'm in my skinny jeans! I've been eating big breakfasts (today's took me 10 minutes to make), a moderate lunch, and salads or veggies for dinner, sometimes meat, for 10 days. I tried these jeans on last Friday...had to "suck it in" to zip them. Today, they zip right up.

To check my breakfast regime, see:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/what-have-you-had-for-breakfast-lately-70240-130.html

I am not hungry, I don't have afternoon or evening cravings, and I don't feel deprived. I do think, however, that eating "grains" instead of bread with breakfast makes a difference in combination with the greens. The DH eats toast with his breakfast. He ate grains yesterday and was so full at lunch, he didn't finish his salad. He is an afternoon (no--all day grazer). He said that he was surprised at how full he was all day.

I committed (to myself) to try it for 30 days, give or take. I'd say try it for a week, even 3-4 days.

Last edited:
CWS4322 said:
I'm in my skinny jeans! I've been eating big breakfasts (today's took me 10 minutes to make), a moderate lunch, and salads or veggies for dinner, sometimes meat, for 10 days. I tried these jeans on last Friday...had to "suck it in" to zip them. Today, they zip right up.

To check my breakfast regime, see:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/what-have-you-had-for-breakfast-lately-70240-130.html

I am not hungry, I don't have afternoon or evening cravings, and I don't feel deprived. I do think, however, that eating "grains" instead of bread with breakfast makes a difference in combination with the greens. The DH eats toast with his breakfast. He ate grains yesterday and was so full at lunch, he didn't finish his salad. He is an afternoon (no--all day grazer). He said that he was surprised at how full he was all day.

I committed (to myself) to try it for 30 days, give or take. I'd say try it for a week, even 3-4 days.

Good for you!!

Good for you!!
Thanks--I didn't have a lot to lose--maybe 5-7 lb (no scale, just the Skinny Jean test), all I did was change when I ate my big meal of the day. It was so easy. I thought it would take until the end of July to get into my skinny jeans. I didn't cut out ice cream or alcohol, just changed what I ate for breakfast and what I ate for supper. And, no snacks during the day--not hungry, no soda pop (don't drink more than 1-3 cans of Coke / month).

Oh my god I ate so much crap yesterday I don't even want to think about how many calories it was!! Back to the diet today!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom