Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really need to take the step and join the gym down the street. I need to get this last bit if weight off. I dream of being "slim" again, not skinny, but for clothes to look great on me again. It seems that when I get down to a medium shirt, almost everything that I try on looks good. Right now I stick to patterned shirts to help hide the lumpiness that is my torso :LOL: I must be doing something right because people can't believe that I weigh as much as I do.

I know that I'll get my energy back when I start working out again, just getting the energy to do it after 8 hours on my feet......

been eating better and going to the gym for almost 3 weeks with 6 pounds lost!

I am finally at the point of working out where I have more energy and look forward to going to the gym! I am going 5 days a week every work day after work!

I had a physical yesterday and the only number out of whack is my LDL, I told him that I didn't want a prescription, and I would come back in 6 months and we could check it again, the more weight I get off and the more my body gets used to exercise, I'm willing to bet that the number will go down, it has in the past when I've lost a lot of weight. I just don't care for the side effects of statins, and I want to avoid medication if I can.

DW and I recently started up on the Sonoma diet. Tomorrow, it will be two weeks. In that short time, I've already lost 17 pounds and Kellie has lost 9. I just can't figure out why. It sure seems like we are eating a LOT of food - neither of us feels hungry.

Not that I'm not complaining. :)

I'm at the end of my weight loss, so it will come off slower, already down 75 pounds over the last couple of years! The first 70 or so pounds was without exercise. I want to see what it feels like to be "fit" :LOL:

I've lost lots of weight before, but have never been fit or truly healthy. I am determined more than ever to make the weight loss "stick" this time!

I hate dieting. I just love food so much... I was a little over 120 (which is nearing the top of my healthy weight range for my height. Yes I'm short, shut up lol), and I watched my diet for a couple weeks and got down to right around 117, then maintained for awhile. I've been watching what I eat again, and now I'm around 114-115. My goal is to get, and stay under 110. 95 lb is the bottom of my healthy range. With starting school comes a gym membership, so maybe I can even convince myself to work out a little. It would be good for my back to do some kind of exercise other than carrying around heavy trays at work (always on the left side).

I hate dieting. I just love food so much... I was a little over 120 (which is nearing the top of my healthy weight range for my height. Yes I'm short, shut up lol), and I watched my diet for a couple weeks and got down to right around 117, then maintained for awhile. I've been watching what I eat again, and now I'm around 114-115. My goal is to get, and stay under 110. 95 lb is the bottom of my healthy range. With starting school comes a gym membership, so maybe I can even convince myself to work out a little. It would be good for my back to do some kind of exercise other than carrying around heavy trays at work (always on the left side).

First I think that the correct term is "vertically challenged" :LOL:

Yeah dieting stinks. Luckily I eat fairly well, I just had to eat a bit less to lose weight. Once I'm at my maintain point, I'll be able to get back to my regular eating. I have maintained the same weight for about a year and it wasn't all that hard now that I eat better.

I'm 6'2" & was 220 age 16-this year.Turn 24 in a few days.I am down to 208 now.No strict diet & barely workout.I cut down ALLOT on processed foods & pop.I now drink water regularly,use to not drink it often.I switched out refined sugar & salt to organic sugar & himalayan salt.I actually been eating more then I used to eat.I have a big red romaine with baby kale & watercress salad for lunch with a wild blueberry smoothie everyday for lunch.

I'm 6'2" & was 220 age 16-this year.Turn 24 in a few days.I am down to 208 now.No strict diet & barely workout.I cut down ALLOT on processed foods & pop.I now drink water regularly,use to not drink it often.I switched out refined sugar & salt to organic sugar & himalayan salt.I actually been eating more then I used to eat.I have a big red romaine with baby kale & watercress salad for lunch with a wild blueberry smoothie everyday for lunch.

Keep all that up and you will have to change your name to Skinny! Good work. :angel:

i started a one month trial on the medifast diet two weeks ago. medifast is a diet created by physicians at johns hopkins about 30 years ago. it is fully loaded with nutrients, requires no exercise and is jump-started with a menu of low carb-low fat, low sugar foods. like atkins, medifast is restrictive, allowing no fruits whatever during its initial stage. unlike atkins, fats are very limited on medifast and portion control is stressed. that said, you are eating every two hours all day long, so hunger is not ever really a problem. in just over two weeks time i lost 15 pounds. i'm sure this weight is easily regained when the diet is over without proper follow through. i am very pleased with this diet so far, but am so ready to be done with it too. i very much miss the foods i love, the foods we talk about every day on discussing cooking. what i need now is a good reentry plan, so that my lost pounds stay gone....
but for a surprisingly easy loss of 20-25 pounds in one month's time, i don't think one can do much better than this nutritionally sound medifast diet.

How many of you go on a maintenance diet once you reach your desired weight? I commend all of you for wanting to get that extra weight off. But keeping it off is the real hard part. You not only have to lose the weight, but develop a whole new attitude toward food. You are not on a diet, but eating healthy. The way you should be doing.

I am not one to talk. I have been overweight for far too long. And being diabetic only makes my weight problem more pressing. Good luck to all of you on your quest to get rid of those extra pounds. :angel:

How many of you go on a maintenance diet once you reach your desired weight? I commend all of you for wanting to get that extra weight off. But keeping it off is the real hard part. You not only have to lose the weight, but develop a whole new attitude toward food. You are not on a diet, but eating healthy. The way you should be doing.

I am not one to talk. I have been overweight for far too long. And being diabetic only makes my weight problem more pressing. Good luck to all of you on your quest to get rid of those extra pounds. :angel:

Staying motivated when the scales are not moving is very hard. I did a three month project in Colombia belly shrinking the whole time. Made it home and I had gained 2 pounds..... But now I focus on losing fat and not weight. Its more about being healthy than skinny. The fat continues to come off even if the scales are moving slowly in the other direction.

I do find it easier to resist temptation when working outside the US. Its a lot harder to order a pizza when you do not know much of the local language. Pizza Hut close to the hotel in Colombia never got any of my business....

I agree, it is hard to stay motivated when the scale is not moving. I prefer to think of it this way.. I lost 50 lbs, and want to lose the last 10, but have been stuck at the same number for 6 months! I prefer to think of this positively, and that I have learned to maintain my smaller self. Now if my body just knew that OK, I"M READY TO MOVE ON NOW?!?!?!

;)

I'm getting ready to turn 40 and I never had a problem up until about 5 years ago but I figured out that I was snacking off my childs plate when he wouldnt finish. I also tend to eat a lot more sweets now. So I cut the snacking and cut the sweets, also cut down on one pop a day (I used to drink 2) and I have lost 8 lbs in about a week and a half. Seems like when I diet, everything looks good except what I should eat...:wacko:

Hi All,

I couldn't read the whole thread so hopefully I am not repeating anything that's been said already. I have successfully lost 40 pounds and kept it off without adding any exercise to my day and without being hungry.

I started with a diet of lean meats and vegetables. A single 6 to 8 ounce portion of meat and as much vegetables as I wanted. No dairy, sugar, fruit, rice or flour of any kind. Also no beans. Essentially no starches. I know it sounds restrictive but if you like vegetables it's easy to do.

For instance I'll cube up a few eggplants, add some chopped garlic, diced onion, S&P and a drizzle of olive oil in non stick pans and roast them in the oven at about 375 until soft. You can also add different squashes and slices of tomato. Just watch the olive oil. Try to stay under 2.5 tablespoons per sitting. You'd be amazed how far that goes. It's delicious and I ate as much eggplant as I wanted.

Also I took a Calcium and Magnesium supplement because of the lack of dairy even though I was probably getting more than enough from the veggies. After you hit your goal you can re-introduce some beans first then, healthy grains and cheeses as long as you monitor your weight daily and adjust as needed. Also at that point it would be good to work in some light exercise at least 3 times a week if you could.

And don't forget to cheat every now and then. I'd say twice a month until you reach your goal. I for one love homemade pretzels and beer. (and ice cream of course) I now cheat once a week. Just be careful that you don't binge eat and give yourself a good month of no cheating when you first start to get that scale moving.

I just wanted to mention that I broke through the 180 pound plateau and weighed in at 179.6. I started at 235 and am working on getting down to and maintaining about 175.

Thanks to all those who posted about low cal but tasty foods and recipes.

I just wanted to mention that I broke through the 180 pound plateau and weighed in at 179.6. I started at 235 and am working on getting down to and maintaining about 175.

Thanks to all those who posted about low cal but tasty foods and recipes.
w00t! Keep up the good work.

For the first time in my life I can actually relate to a thread like this one. I weighed like a 100 lbs soaking wet up until a year ago, stayed the same weight give or take a pound since I was 14. I've gained about 20 pounds in the past 6 months and I have no idea why. I still eat the same, walk every day and run after my kids. Not sure if it's because I'm over 30 now or if something is wrong. Surely age related weight gain should be gradual? Anyway, I've discovered that eating loads of papaya has helped and so does pineapple. Both of these fruits help break down proteins and fat. I've lost 5 pounds since last week.

For the first time in my life I can actually relate to a thread like this one. I weighed like a 100 lbs soaking wet up until a year ago, stayed the same weight give or take a pound since I was 14. I've gained about 20 pounds in the past 6 months and I have no idea why. I still eat the same, walk every day and run after my kids. Not sure if it's because I'm over 30 now or if something is wrong. Surely age related weight gain should be gradual? Anyway, I've discovered that eating loads of papaya has helped and so does pineapple. Both of these fruits help break down proteins and fat. I've lost 5 pounds since last week.
When is the last time you had your thyroid checked?

When is the last time you had your thyroid checked?

I've been on medication for an underactive thyroid for 10 yrs. Had it checked about 2 months ago and that's not the cause but well spotted! I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't maybe be tested for diabetes. I'm thirsty all the time and I get up about 5 times a night to wee. Not sure what else it could be but since I don't have medical aid testing for problems is a hobby I can't afford lol!

I've been on medication for an underactive thyroid for 10 yrs. Had it checked about 2 months ago and that's not the cause but well spotted! I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't maybe be tested for diabetes. I'm thirsty all the time and I get up about 5 times a night to wee. Not sure what else it could be but since I don't have medical aid testing for problems is a hobby I can't afford lol!
My mum had and my sister has underactive thyroid, so it came to mind. I get tested regularly.

You could buy some of those test sticks for sugar in the urine at the pharmacy. Or, find out how much a test for diabetes costs. It might not be as expensive as you think. Maybe Princess Fiona has better suggestions, since she is a nurse and diabetic.

Back
Top Bottom