Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been on medication for an under active thyroid for 10 yrs. Had it checked about 2 months ago and that's not the cause but well spotted! I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't maybe be tested for diabetes. I'm thirsty all the time and I get up about 5 times a night to wee. Not sure what else it could be but since I don't have medical aid testing for problems is a hobby I can't afford lol!

Get yourself to a doctor to have your blood tested for an A1c test. Even if it is an emergency room. I don't mean to scare you, but diabetes is a silent killer. While you are battling constant thirst, inside the diabetes is doing it dastardly deeds attacking your major organs. Starting with your circulatory system, heart and kidneys. Constant thirst is a symptom of a more deep problem. Most likely diabetes. If you have anyone in your family that is diabetic, then most likely you will develop it also. Get it checked now and if you are lucky, you will only be type two. It can be controlled in two ways. With medications (pills) or diet. If you are borderline for type one, then you may have to go with the injections of insulin. That is up to your doctor to decide. You may be only borderline and con control it with diet alone.

Everyone in my family (back to my grandparents) has heart disease and/or diabetes. They go hand in hand. I am the last one of my generation to be diagnosed with diabetes. Next will be my children. Knowing the family history, they are checked every three months for it. I don't expect any of my kids to escape developing this hideous disease. And neither do they.

A little known secret. In this country, if a hospital receives even one dollar from the federal government, they cannot refuse you medical treatment. And since you don't have medical coverage, they can direct you to medical services that are available to you. Your best bet is an emergency room. I hate to use that, but a doctor really doesn't want to see you without medical coverage. Good luck. :angel:

Last edited:
I said I would keep you all up-to-date on how our Sugar Blockers Diet is going. I know I haven't posted much. Last week we both hit the lowest weight we have been in a few years, and James has lost a couple pounds more since then. Over-all I have been kind of up and down with my weight, but my blood pressure and blood glucose levels have remained nice and low. Still not low enough to get off of my medications, but with more weight loss, I am hoping to be able to get off of at least some of it.

We have done pretty well about cutting out starches. We are allowed to eat some though, and so we do have an occasional baked potato or I'll throw a handful of "garden" pasta into the pot. James's birthday was last Friday, and we definitely blew it on the starches (We knew ahead of time we would, but he would have totally lost heart if he could not have his birthday cake, and our friend made spaghetti for supper that night because he loves it so much--Fridays at their house is always our worst starch night.)

Anyway, at this point the weight is not falling off, but it is going down, and we feel much better physically. :cool:

Addie said:
I realized that when I went back to re read her post. :angel:

Thanks for the advise. Think I will find out about that test tomorrow. I've had a heart attack and I'm on medication . Really hoping that diabetes is doesn't go hand in hand in this case! Starting to feel like the more medication they put me on the more I need lol! I had my sugar level tested about 6 years ago and I was borderline diabetic but the Dr said I was fine after a course of Glucophage and change in diet. Must say my symptoms are pointing in that direction. Thirst, frequent urination, fatigue and I get dizzy if I don't eat often. I think I was just avoiding the issue, hoping it's nothing though. Thanks again, I'll post an update when I get back from the Clinic.!

Thanks for the advise. Think I will find out about that test tomorrow. I've had a heart attack and I'm on medication . Really hoping that diabetes is doesn't go hand in hand in this case! Starting to feel like the more medication they put me on the more I need lol! I had my sugar level tested about 6 years ago and I was borderline diabetic but the Dr said I was fine after a course of Glucophage and change in diet. Must say my symptoms are pointing in that direction. Thirst, frequent urination, fatigue and I get dizzy if I don't eat often. I think I was just avoiding the issue, hoping it's nothing though. Thanks again, I'll post an update when I get back from the Clinic.!

I am glad to hear you are taking your symptoms seriously. Diabetes is a life threatening disease. There are many diabetics in this forum that are only too willing to give you all the support you may need or want. I have a friend whose mother refused to admit that she was diabetic until she had both legs amputated because of the damage the disease had done to her circulatory system. Please do let us know what they find. I will be praying for you and sending up a prayer or two while I worry. :angel:

I am glad to hear you are taking your symptoms seriously. Diabetes is a life threatening disease. There are many diabetics in this forum that are only too willing to give you all the support you may need or want. I have a friend whose mother refused to admit that she was diabetic until she had both legs amputated because of the damage the disease had done to her circulatory system. Please do let us know what they find. I will be praying for you and sending up a prayer or two while I worry. :angel:
I will be at the Clinic first thing tomorrow. Hopefully it something small. Think my biggest fear is needles, diabetes is the last thing I want. I'd rather catch a snake with my bare hands than inject myself! I don't even like taking Asprin yet I end up having to take a fistfull of meds each day. Ironic isn't it? Murphy holds a personal grudge against me I'm sure :LOL:
Think I'm off to bed, it's 10pm here and I'm exausted. Have a gr8 evening :)

I just wanted to mention that I broke through the 180 pound plateau and weighed in at 179.6. I started at 235 and am working on getting down to and maintaining about 175.

Thanks to all those who posted about low cal but tasty foods and recipes.

Congratulations!

I went to a deep water class tonight, then did laps for 20 minutes. I did not do so great on eating today hit the doritoes & the greasy brat.'s pretty hard. After I got cleaned up went in the dark garage, cranked up the music & had an intense work out for 40 minutes. I feel great now.

Hey, some days it happens! Nothing to beat yourself up for, just get back to it tomorrow.

You can't fall off the wagon if you never climb on.

Like PF said. It happens. You are asking your body to both mentally and physically change a lifestyle that you have fed for a long time. You will make it. Don't beat yourself over it. Just start again tomorrow. We all have faith in you and are here to lend support. :angel:

You'll never be perfect just take it one day at a time and try to make those bad eating choices less. That one meal won't make you gain weight, doing this type of eating habitually will. I had to program my self for everyday foods and sometimes foods, there is no way that I could go through life beating myself up for not being perfect. If we had it in us to be perfect, then none of us would have weight issues. Better habits take a while to stick, but they will over time, but nothing will sabotage you quicker than guilt.

Keep up the good work, you are stronger than your guilt.

+1

I think if you totally deprive yourself, you'll feel cheated and eat more, and that doesn't make for a lifestyle change. If, for one or two days a week, you can have some guilty pleasures, you won't feel deprived and might be able to stick to the eating plan for the rest of the week. Not to say eat a whole cake or a quart of ice cream, but a bit of each won't hurt once or twice a week.

Last edited:
I will be at the Clinic first thing tomorrow. Hopefully it something small. Think my biggest fear is needles, diabetes is the last thing I want. I'd rather catch a snake with my bare hands than inject myself! I don't even like taking Asprin yet I end up having to take a fistfull of meds each day. Ironic isn't it? Murphy holds a personal grudge against me I'm sure :LOL:
Think I'm off to bed, it's 10pm here and I'm exausted. Have a gr8 evening :)
Keep us posted, Snip. We care.

We sure do. It is folks like Snip that make me so grateful that I live where I do. I will never have to worry again about any medical needs I may have until the day I leave this earth. My prayers are on their way for Snip. :angel:

I am really and sincerely ashamed to say this, but I just started smoking due to too much stress in my life. Most people don't believe what I tell them it is. I feel they have no time to understand or try to encourage They rather ignore and tell me this stress I am going through is not happening. I know God is only One who is permitting this and evidently HE feels with His help I am strong enough to endure this. It is just something that I did not cause. It is only when you are trying to defend yourself you reach out and try to stop it. (Maybe some of you remember what I am referring to) It has gone on for so long. I was married 25 years to abuser and now I got another one. I realize when people try to abuse others they themselves must be miserable.

This smoking does kill my appetite and confidence. I was so health conscious now, I really don't care. Life is too short and I do what I can to accept it. My self worth is shot. This is exactly what abusers want to hear. So very sad how people can't let someone try to live their life and I don't have too long.

Sorry to be a downer but life is not fair just have to live it.

Last edited:
We sure do. It is folks like Snip that make me so grateful that I live where I do. I will never have to worry again about any medical needs I may have until the day I leave this earth. My prayers are on their way for Snip. :angel:

Got my results, had more test done and I'm Pre- Diabetic whatever that may be. Apparently very high risk for developing diabetes. The Doc put me on Metformin and I must eat a diabetic friendly diet.

At least I don't have to inject myself, thank Goodness for that!!!!

Thank you Addie for the advise and everyone else that gave support and advise.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom