Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got my results, had more test done and I'm Pre- Diabetic whatever that may be. Apparently very high risk for developing diabetes. The Doc put me on Metformin and I must eat a diabetic friendly diet.

At least I don't have to inject myself, thank Goodness for that!!!!

Thank you Addie for the advise and everyone else that gave support and advise.

Metformin is the best medication you could be on. During the field trials, they had great success. I am so glad you followed through. Your family needs you. :angel:

Metformin is the best medication you could be on. During the field trials, they had great success. I am so glad you followed through. Your family needs you. :angel:

Thanks Addie, I'm not going anywhere! Only the good die young lol!
I think it will work out just fine. I look after myself as best I can and won't do anything to harm my health on purpose.
Might need some diabetic recipes but luckily there are many on DC :)

Thanks Addie, I'm not going anywhere! Only the good die young lol!
I think it will work out just fine. I look after myself as best I can and won't do anything to harm my health on purpose.
Might need some diabetic recipes but luckily there are many on DC :)

A low carb diet with plenty of protein. Fresh veggies. Lots of salads. Be careful of fresh fruit. Most of them are loaded with natural sugar. Eat them in moderation. Grains for breakfast. Cooked is better than dry. If your doctor doesn't have you come in for blood work in six months, then make an appointment for a checkup. :angel:

A low carb diet with plenty of protein. Fresh veggies. Lots of salads. Be careful of fresh fruit. Most of them are loaded with natural sugar. Eat them in moderation. Grains for breakfast. Cooked is better than dry. If your doctor doesn't have you come in for blood work in six months, then make an appointment for a checkup. :angel:

Going back in 3 months. He told me to make the appointment so long.

I eat mainly sweet potatoes, brown rice, rye bread, oats, weetabix, branflakes, rice noodles, barley, lentils, beans and homemade muesli (sugar free, I add stevia) when I eat carbs. I do eat macaroni once a month when I make mac 'n cheese though, don't like wholegrain pasta :(

As far as fruit goes I only really eat lemons, papaya and Grapefruit. Not very often since fruit is expensive and I tend to save it for the kids. I love fruits but I prefer veggies. Don't have a big sweet tooth.

Protein wise I eat mainly lean beef, pork and fish (plus all the pulses I eat) and I love egg.
I must do some research to find out what to avoid. I don't like processed food so that's a start. They usually contain loads of hidden sugars.
Gosh I hope I know what I'm doing lol!

Going back in 3 months. He told me to make the appointment so long.

I eat mainly sweet potatoes, brown rice, rye bread, oats, weetabix, branflakes, rice noodles, barley, lentils, beans and homemade muesli (sugar free, I add stevia) when I eat carbs. I do eat macaroni once a month when I make mac 'n cheese though, don't like wholegrain pasta :(

As far as fruit goes I only really eat lemons, papaya and Grapefruit. Not very often since fruit is expensive and I tend to save it for the kids. I love fruits but I prefer veggies. Don't have a big sweet tooth.

Protein wise I eat mainly lean beef, pork and fish (plus all the pulses I eat) and I love egg.
I must do some research to find out what to avoid. I don't like processed food so that's a start. They usually contain loads of hidden sugars.
Gosh I hope I know what I'm doing lol!

I'm thinking it's the sweet potatoes and the dry cereals that are doing it for you. The rest of your diet sounds good.

Just holler if you need help! Did they set you up with a glucometer for daily checks? If not I would ask them for one.

I've come to realise that what works for someone, may not work for others. I have tried the no carbs, no dairy...tried everything. What works for me is just cutting down on quantity - depending on how much exercise I am doing. Obviously eating sensibly and not binging on sweets and chocolate - which I love - also helps. It's an ongoing thing trying to keep weight down!

I'm thinking it's the sweet potatoes and the dry cereals that are doing it for you. The rest of your diet sounds good.

Just holler if you need help! Did they set you up with a glucometer for daily checks? If not I would ask them for one.
Believe it or not Wheetabix has added sugar.

Actual fruit is much better for you than fruit juice (even unsweetened). I'm not sure if that counts with lemon. ;)

Believe it or not Wheetabix has added sugar.

Actual fruit is much better for you than fruit juice (even unsweetened). I'm not sure if that counts with lemon. ;)

I was counting Wheetabix as a dry cereal. Any cereal that is processed so you can pour milk on it to eat. They always have added sugar and those that don't often are high in carbs, low in nutrition for what you are eating. Better breakfast choices include protein with wholegrain toast.

I am also leaning towards veggies for breakfast via frittatas.

I was counting Wheetabix as a dry cereal. Any cereal that is processed so you can pour milk on it to eat. They always have added sugar and those that don't often are high in carbs, low in nutrition for what you are eating. Better breakfast choices include protein with wholegrain toast.

I am also leaning towards veggies for breakfast via frittatas.

Our Wheetabix or shall I say Weetbix as it's called here comes in a sugar and salt free variety. The bran flakes I buy are also sugar free and I don't eat them with sugar, just low fat milk.

I eat my fruit and drink only freshly squeezed orange juice when I go out sometimes.
I eat oats often and rye bread with poached eggs. The rye bread comes from a health shop and it's low GI and sugar free.
I think lemons might be my problem since they still contain lots of natural sugar and I add the juice to my water.
The sweet potatoes I always thought were fine since I bake mine and don't add sugar.
Darn it I'm confused, thanks for the advise!

Our Wheetabix or shall I say Weetbix as it's called here comes in a sugar and salt free variety. The bran flakes I buy are also sugar free and I don't eat them with sugar, just low fat milk.

I eat my fruit and drink only freshly squeezed orange juice when I go out sometimes.
I eat oats often and rye bread with poached eggs. The rye bread comes from a health shop and it's low GI and sugar free.
I think lemons might be my problem since they still contain lots of natural sugar and I add the juice to my water.
The sweet potatoes I always thought were fine since I bake mine and don't add sugar.

Sweet potatoes have a starch component AND a sugar component. You need to start looking at grams of carbs per serving.

OMG, so much to think of :( Please can I ask you to PM me a list of good veg, fruit and carbs? Pretty please, Google is not much help. Too many different opinions.
Looking at the amount of carbohydrates actually makes it simple. Find a reputable site, e.g., government or reputable university, that has a list.

I have free software from the USDA to look up nutrients. Nutrient Data Products and Services

BTW, you want to subtract the amount of fibre from the amount of carbs. Fibre is counted as a carb, but isn't digested and doesn't effect blood sugar.

You can take glycemic index into account, but that adds another layer of complication. I would start out counting carbs and when that is easy go on to consider GI.

Our Wheetabix or shall I say Weetbix as it's called here comes in a sugar and salt free variety....
Oops, I can never remember the spelling of Weetabix. I was so pleased that I remembered that it wasn't Wheatabix. :LOL:

I had to look up Weetbix (no "a") and found out that it is the Australian and South African version, also the original name.

Snip--try cider vinegar in your water instead of the lemon.

I'll try it thanks :) I love cider vinegar so it should taste fine. I was out today so I just added a pinch of citric acid. The water tastes really bad here even when boiled.
How much lemon juice do you put in your water? Raw, unsweetened lemon juice only has ~8 grams of carbs in 100 grams of juice. That's ~4 grams of carbs in the juice of an entire (average sized) lemon. That's really not very much.

In the Atkins diet, lemon and lime juice added to water are the only allowed fruit juice.

BTW, cider vinegar has ~1 gram of carbs/100 grams.

Snip, orange juice whether fresh squeezed or processed will raise your sugar levels really fast. It is what they give to a patient when their sugar drops to dangerous levels. I am always surprised at how fast it acts in bringing up my sugar level when I am in trouble. You are better off eating an orange instead of the juice. When eaten with fibre and protein, your body absorbs it at a much slower rate. And you are still getting the benefits of the Vitamin C. Have you got a nutritionist available that you can consult? In the U.S. we have ones that have gone through special training just for diabetic patients. :angel:

OMG, so much to think of :( Please can I ask you to PM me a list of good veg, fruit and carbs? Pretty please, Google is not much help. Too many different opinions.

LOL! Taxlady gave you the link to what I would use for finding serving sizes and nutritional information, I have it installed on my computer.. You are looking for foods that are low in carbs. The typical Low-Carb diet suggests between 20-60 grams of carbs per day. If you are busy chasing kids all day, I would only go between 50-60 grams per day, your body needs the carbs.

Leafy green, red, yellow veggies are the best. If something tastes sweet, check the carbs. I hope this helps.

How much lemon juice do you put in your water? Raw, unsweetened lemon juice only has ~8 grams of carbs in 100 grams of juice. That's ~4 grams of carbs in the juice of an entire (average sized) lemon. That's really not very much.

In the Atkins diet, lemon and lime juice added to water are the only allowed fruit juice.

BTW, cider vinegar has ~1 gram of carbs/100 grams.

Juice from 1 fresh squeezed lemon in a litre of water. My water bottle takes 1 litre and I get lemons from my friend's tree.

Snip, orange juice whether fresh squeezed or processed will raise your sugar levels really fast. It is what they give to a patient when their sugar drops to dangerous levels. I am always surprised at how fast it acts in bringing up my sugar level when I am in trouble. You are better off eating an orange instead of the juice. When eaten with fibre and protein, your body absorbs it at a much slower rate. And you are still getting the benefits of the Vitamin C. Have you got a nutritionist available that you can consult? In the U.S. we have ones that have gone through special training just for diabetic patients. :angel:

Thanks Addie, orange juice gives me heartburn anyway. Won't lose sleep over it.
Most days I just drink my cup of coffee in the morning. Water with a bit of lemon, iced rooibos tea flavoured with fresh mint or lemon verbena (no sugar added) make it myself, green tea, oolong tea, jasmine tea and sometimes a cup of tea at night with lemon. I could use citric acid instead of lemon in my tea I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom