Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL! Taxlady gave you the link to what I would use for finding serving sizes and nutritional information, I have it installed on my computer.. You are looking for foods that are low in carbs. The typical Low-Carb diet suggests between 20-60 grams of carbs per day. If you are busy chasing kids all day, I would only go between 50-60 grams per day, your body needs the carbs.

Leafy green, red, yellow veggies are the best. If something tastes sweet, check the carbs. I hope this helps.

Thanks PF, still can't understand why I have a problem. I eat healthier that most and I've been doing so my whole life. Sure I eat the odd bad meal but don't we all?
I eat low fat foods most of the time too and yet I end up with high cholesterol and heart disease.
My biggest weakness is salt and my blood preasure is fine, go figure lol!

I think a big part of the problem may be that I've started skipping meals more often. I have no appetite lately. I eat breakfast when I'm up to it and only at about 10 pm, skip lunch most days and eat the same amount of food at night as my 5 yr old.
I snack on celery and frozen iced tea to beat the heat. I'm never hungry in summer.

Have you thought of getting a Britta filter or similar?

I've been looking for water filters on sale since we moved here but money is really tight. There always seems to be something more important that comes up like clothes for my kids, medication etc.
Our fuel prices went up 3 times in the past month because of transport strikes. Supermarkets have increased their prices so much that my groceries cost 1/3 more this month than last and I bought the same goods.
This country is going nowhere slowly. Wish we could just go back to Botswana.

I've been looking for water filters on sale since we moved here but money is really tight. There always seems to be something more important that comes up like clothes for my kids, medication etc.
Our fuel prices went up 3 times in the past month because of transport strikes. Supermarkets have increased their prices so much that my groceries cost 1/3 more this month than last and I bought the same goods.
This country is going nowhere slowly. Wish we could just go back to Botswana.
I hear ya. Have you looked in 2nd hand stores? I usually find several perfectly good ones. The real cost is the actual filters that only last 2 months each. But, I think it's worth it.

I hear ya. Have you looked in 2nd hand stores? I usually find several perfectly good ones. The real cost is the actual filters that only last 2 months each. But, I think it's worth it.

I have looked but I haven't found any yet. If I don't find one I'll just go and buy a filter jug. I saw one for R100 About $12. Not too bad but still too much right now but I can buy it in November. My daughter is going on her first school tour so I had to pay for that, couldn't say no she was so excited.

Last edited:
Snip--I add all kinds of vinegar to water or Seltzer--red or white wine vinegar in the evening, balsamic vinegar, cider vinegar, coconut vinegar. I find it very refreshing when it is hot out. During our unbelievably hot summer here, I drank many glasses of water or Seltzer with apple cider vinegar added every day. I brought a bottle of Seltzer with cider vinegar added every time I had to drive somewhere.

Thanks Addie, orange juice gives me heartburn anyway. Won't lose sleep over it.
Most days I just drink my cup of coffee in the morning. Water with a bit of lemon, iced rooibos tea flavoured with fresh mint or lemon verbena (no sugar added) make it myself, green tea, oolong tea, jasmine tea and sometimes a cup of tea at night with lemon. I could use citric acid instead of lemon in my tea I suppose.

Use the lemon, the few calories that it adds completely overtake for freshness what using just citric acid would give. The plan is real, fresh foods, not replacing it with chemicals. And you would lose that lemon zip.

Thanks PF, still can't understand why I have a problem. I eat healthier that most and I've been doing so my whole life. Sure I eat the odd bad meal but don't we all?
I eat low fat foods most of the time too and yet I end up with high cholesterol and heart disease.
My biggest weakness is salt and my blood preasure is fine, go figure lol!

I think a big part of the problem may be that I've started skipping meals more often. I have no appetite lately. I eat breakfast when I'm up to it and only at about 10 pm, skip lunch most days and eat the same amount of food at night as my 5 yr old.
I snack on celery and frozen iced tea to beat the heat. I'm never hungry in summer.

I don't know, either! I spent many years as a pre/borderline diabetic. Then one heart attack and I went over that hill and became a diabetic. I can't eat any better than I have for the last 15 years. I make a joke about only being able to eat cardboard, but I'm not far off from that considering my diabetes and heart disease, to top it off the difficulty I have with eating because of bone loss in my jaws.

Stay enthusiastic about trying different foods. Check out the app from the USDA, it is a great online resource. Ask questions, you know we are all "know-it-alls" and are happier than heck helping you out. Diabetes is not the end of the world, it's the start of a new you. Lot's o hugs!

I don't know, either! I spent many years as a pre/borderline diabetic. Then one heart attack and I went over that hill and became a diabetic. I can't eat any better than I have for the last 15 years. I make a joke about only being able to eat cardboard, but I'm not far off from that considering my diabetes and heart disease, to top it off the difficulty I have with eating because of bone loss in my jaws.

Stay enthusiastic about trying different foods. Check out the app from the USDA, it is a great online resource. Ask questions, you know we are all "know-it-alls" and are happier than heck helping you out. Diabetes is not the end of the world, it's the start of a new you. Lot's o hugs!

Thanks PF, you're input means a lot and it helps to know I'm not alone.
Think I'll stick to my dash of real fresh lemon in my water. Lemon is not bad in moderation. I hardly have any sugar anyway, not even much in natural form. I had my heart attack when I was in my 20's and my health has just gotten worse since then. I'm 2 cm's shorter because of losing bone mass, my teeth are translucent and I get pains in my legs at night. Sometimes they get really swollen.
I can't think that depriving my body of the good nutrients that fresh foods provide will do any good.
I just hate feeling like an old lady. I love being active and running after the kids but my body and mind seem to belong to 2 different people lol!
Even posting on DC has started feeling a bit fake. I mostly add the recipes and foods I prepare for my family since what I eat won't even excite a rabbit :ROFLMAO: Cooking is not as much fun since I can't eat most of the things I love to make anymore.
Maybe I killed a puppy in my past life and this is payback :angel:

Snip--I add all kinds of vinegar to water or Seltzer--red or white wine vinegar in the evening, balsamic vinegar, cider vinegar, coconut vinegar. I find it very refreshing when it is hot out. During our unbelievably hot summer here, I drank many glasses of water or Seltzer with apple cider vinegar added every day. I brought a bottle of Seltzer with cider vinegar added every time I had to drive somewhere.

Thanks CW, I tried adding just a dash to my water last night. White wine vinegar since I was out of Cider vinegar. I'll try the Cider vinegar but the wine vinegar made sick as a dog. Haven't slept much, spent half the night chucking up what felt like battery acid :LOL:
I only had 2 glasses with about a tsp of vinegar so I think it might not agree with me.

Snip, right now you are going through a stage of shock in finding that you have been diagnosed with a disease that you have heard horror stories about. The secret to managing your diet is not to live for your diabetes. You have been placed on Metformin. That is the very best medication for diabetes. You have a great diet already. Just eat carbs in moderation and concentrate on proteins. And for those cramps in your legs at night, you need potassium in your diet. Try to eat a banana every day. Or at least every other day. A great source of potassium. And it is good for your new diet. My son gets me pygmy bananas about twice a week. Every so often I take a break and don't eat them for about two weeks. Then I get back on the regimen.

I know what you are going through right now. "Good God, what more can go wrong with my body?" I had three heart attacks last year. On top of the diabetes. I have been through open heart surgery, almost lost my leg due to no blood flow, etc. Now I am developing cataracts. And I am in a fight to get the needed surgery before I lose my sight. "Good God, what more can go wrong with my body?" I am the worlds worst diabetes patient. I drive my doctor and nurses crazy. I refuse to live my life around my diabetes. I skip meals, check my sugar readings if I remember, and pretty much live my life the way I want to. As long as I take my medicine like I should, then I do fine. and that is the secret. They have a birthday cake here in the building every month for the residents. I take a small piece. I am not a sweet eater. After a couple of bites, I never finish the piece. So what. I went off my diet once this month and it didn't kill me. I just don't make it a habit to do that very often.

Right now you feel like you are the only person in the world with this hideous disease. You feel panicky. Like you are all alone and no one understands. Well, you are wrong. It is not a hideous disease. You stated that you had a heart attack in your 20's. Well, like I told you earlier, heart and diabetes go hand in hand. You have us here in DC. We will get you through this first stage. And that is what it is. Just a stage. The next stage is acceptance. And that will come shortly. PF, me and any other member of DC who has been diagnosed with diabetes has gone through what you are going through right now. Think of this event in your life as a means to expand your knowledge. Make it a learning experience. You are going to learn about food and how your body reacts to what you eat. Try to keep your weight down. That plays a big part in handling your diabetes. The less you weigh, the more control you will have over your sugar. I lost enough weight this year that now I am off any medicine and control it by diet alone. And I am doing fine. And so will you. Remember we are here for you. :angel:

Snip, right now you are going through a stage of shock in finding that you have been diagnosed with a disease that you have heard horror stories about. The secret to managing your diet is not to live for your diabetes. You have been placed on Metformin. That is the very best medication for diabetes. You have a great diet already. Just eat carbs in moderation and concentrate on proteins. And for those cramps in your legs at night, you need potassium in your diet. Try to eat a banana every day. Or at least every other day. A great source of potassium. And it is good for your new diet. My son gets me pygmy bananas about twice a week. Every so often I take a break and don't eat them for about two weeks. Then I get back on the regimen.

I know what you are going through right now. "Good God, what more can go wrong with my body?" I had three heart attacks last year. On top of the diabetes. I have been through open heart surgery, almost lost my leg due to no blood flow, etc. Now I am developing cataracts. And I am in a fight to get the needed surgery before I lose my sight. "Good God, what more can go wrong with my body?" I am the worlds worst diabetes patient. I drive my doctor and nurses crazy. I refuse to live my life around my diabetes. I skip meals, check my sugar readings if I remember, and pretty much live my life the way I want to. As long as I take my medicine like I should, then I do fine. and that is the secret. They have a birthday cake here in the building every month for the residents. I take a small piece. I am not a sweet eater. After a couple of bites, I never finish the piece. So what. I went off my diet once this month and it didn't kill me. I just don't make it a habit to do that very often.

Right now you feel like you are the only person in the world with this hideous disease. You feel panicky. Like you are all alone and no one understands. Well, you are wrong. It is not a hideous disease. You stated that you had a heart attack in your 20's. Well, like I told you earlier, heart and diabetes go hand in hand. You have us here in DC. We will get you through this first stage. And that is what it is. Just a stage. The next stage is acceptance. And that will come shortly. PF, me and any other member of DC who has been diagnosed with diabetes has gone through what you are going through right now. Think of this event in your life as a means to expand your knowledge. Make it a learning experience. You are going to learn about food and how your body reacts to what you eat. Try to keep your weight down. That plays a big part in handling your diabetes. The less you weigh, the more control you will have over your sugar. I lost enough weight this year that now I am off any medicine and control it by diet alone. And I am doing fine. And so will you. Remember we are here for you. :angel:
You are such a nice person addie!

In the Kitchen said:
I am really and sincerely ashamed to say this, but I just started smoking due to too much stress in my life. Most people don't believe what I tell them it is. I feel they have no time to understand or try to encourage They rather ignore and tell me this stress I am going through is not happening. I know God is only One who is permitting this and evidently HE feels with His help I am strong enough to endure this. It is just something that I did not cause. It is only when you are trying to defend yourself you reach out and try to stop it. (Maybe some of you remember what I am referring to) It has gone on for so long. I was married 25 years to abuser and now I got another one. I realize when people try to abuse others they themselves must be miserable.

This smoking does kill my appetite and confidence. I was so health conscious now, I really don't care. Life is too short and I do what I can to accept it. My self worth is shot. This is exactly what abusers want to hear. So very sad how people can't let someone try to live their life and I don't have too long.

Sorry to be a downer but life is not fair just have to live it.

I'm so sorry to hear this- I know this is an older post, but I've been so busy with school I'm never on here anymore. You said you found another abuser? Well you lost the first one, so maybe you need to find it in yourself to lose this one too. That would be one major source of stress out of the way. If smoking was what you needed to do to cope, don't beat yourself up too much. There are worse things you could have done than that. Unfortunately quitting can be stressful in and of itself, but that's also doable. Good luck with everything, and stay strong.

Snip:
Glad you found out about the pre-diabetes before it got worse snip!! Hopefully now that you know what's causing your current issues, you can control it and feel better. The well water at my house tastes bad too, and I actually send it through a britta water pitcher twice, and keep a large jug, with a spout, of cold water in the fridge all the time. Lemon is great in water, but if you have issues with thin enamel on your teeth you really need to be careful about constantly drinking acidic liquids. High protein diets can also put your body in a state of acidity, which your body uses calcium to counteract, so get plenty of calcium (dairy isn't necessarily the best source because of the high level of protein. The US is the leading consumer of dairy, and has the leading number of osteoporosis cases, so that should probably tell people we are doing something wrong), or you body will leech it out of your teeth and bones.

I've been going to the gym, since I get a free membership through the college, and I feel great about it! Went to a yoga class yesterday, and a cardio class this morning. Pretty sure the cardio lady was trying to kill us lol. And doing so in such a cheerful manner, too!! I almost walked out! But I hung in there, and plan to go back for more on Monday. It was a little more technical than I expected, I had a hard time keeping up with some of the moves, and I probably looked a little uncoordinated, but I'm told she mostly repeats the same moves, and you get better at it. I haven't lost any weight yet, but its great for my body. I also got a hot tub!!! It's so great for my back! It has super powerful moto-massage jets, that give me a great lower back massage. The combination of carrying heavy trays at work, and being fairly large chested for my small stature wreaks havoc on my lower back. So that's what's going on in my world right now. Sorry I'm never on anymore. I still try to keep reading a lot of the posts, but I just don't have much time for posting. Miss everyone!!

Skittle

I am on my 22nd day of my 90 days in a row of exercise. Today I was on the elliptical for 22 minutes then just did some weights. It felt like a pretty light workout until I sat down for awhile then tried to get up & walk normally. I'm thinking it's time for the pool tomorrow.

simonbaker said:
I am on my 22nd day of my 90 days in a row of exercise. Today I was on the elliptical for 22 minutes then just did some weights. It felt like a pretty light workout until I sat down for awhile then tried to get up & walk normally. I'm thinking it's time for the pool tomorrow.

Great job!!! Make sure you alternate cardio days and weight training days, or do upper body one day and lower the next to give your muscles a chance to heal and recover (this is when you'll get your toning).

I am so sore from the cardio class yesterday, I can literally barely walk. My bf even noticed I was limping lol. I told you she was trying to kill us!! I've stretched my calves (that's where I'm the most sore), and I'm about to go take advantage of the calf massaging jets in the hot tub. Yay!
I'm probably still going to need some ibuprofen for work tonight tho...

Last edited:
Hope the hot tub helped your calves. The pool & hot tub felt fantastic today. Brought the daughter with me today & we were in the pool & hot tub for 2 hours. All the pain went away in my legs. Thanks for the tip on alternating, it makes sense.

A friend has lost 85 lb since she (a) switched to eating her big meal from evening to a.m. (b) cut out refined sugar, (c) cut out pasta and bread (except for when she goes out to eat 2x / month) and (d) cut red meat consumption to 1-2x per week. She also switched plates to a smaller plate and doesn't snack b/tween meals.

She was shocked it was so easy (she started in January). She has had a weight issue all of her life (she's 48). No, she didn't start exercising...hates to sweat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom