Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A friend has lost 85 lb since she (a) switched to eating her big meal from evening to a.m. (b) cut out refined sugar, (c) cut out pasta and bread (except for when she goes out to eat 2x / month) and (d) cut red meat consumption to 1-2x per week. She also switched plates to a smaller plate and doesn't snack b/tween meals.

She was shocked it was so easy (she started in January). She has had a weight issue all of her life (she's 48). No, she didn't start exercising...hates to sweat.

and this sounds like an Easy way to lose weight to you, cws? not for me, not for a prolonged time, anyhow....

It really is easy (if you don't have a sweet tooth!). I don't know how much weight I've lost--I didn't have a lot to lose, but I have shrunk two sizes by just changing a few things. I do love bread--but don't make it all the time. I don't have any bread in the house right now. Thinking of firing up the bread machine...and, I don't eat pasta very often. It isn't a diet, it is a change in eating habits.

i'm afraid my unrelenting appetite for carbs (in the form of breads, potatoes, pastas and rice) makes me a poor candidate for the interesting eating changes you are proposing, cws--sweets i could do without quite easily....

I'm doing the paleo diet myself, so no grains of any kind. The hardest part is that it means no pasta.

Still, I've lost 29 lbs so far, so I'm gonna stick with this for a while longer at the least :)

I cut portion sizes down dramatically. I eat 10 -12 oz. at every meal. Ususally steel cut oats & fruit for breakfast, lite, 12 grain sandwich bread with 2 oz. lean meat for lunch then 3 oz. meat at supper with a salad & potato. If I get hungry between meals I will eat only fresh fruit or vegetables. I exercise at least 30 minutes a day. I have been on this self program for the last 25 days. I have lost 17 pounds so far. I have a long ways to go & alot more to lose but I am feeling so much better. I love the pool. Water walking has done wonders for me. When I don't feel like exercising I will at least get a 30 min. in outside with the dog.

Thank you! You support is greatly appreciated. I just hope my numbers reflect it at the doc.

I've been on vacation and eating really poorly, but it's been delicious! :LOL:

Back to the gym today, and back to a good eating plan soon, but not before I try out the new mini pie maker.....

I am still working on learning lap swimming, I just cannot seem to get the breathing thing right. It feels like I have drank a good portion of the pool lately.

simonbaker said:
I am still working on learning lap swimming, I just cannot seem to get the breathing thing right. It feels like I have drank a good portion of the pool lately.

SB, try using a kickboard. Hold it straight out and practice face in the water, turn your head to the side and breathe, face back in the water. Keep kicking . Or use it closer and keep your face out of the water. You can hold it behind your head while you swim on your back too.

Front crawl just takes a rhythm. You don't need to take a breath every time, if you feel comfortable, take one every three or so strokes. Important to not bury your head too far underwater, and make your strokes smooth, reach with your cupped hands, don't flail or kick so much that you make a big splash. Try to keep it underwater with minimal splash. Good luck! Do they have adult swim classes?

SB, try using a kickboard. Hold it straight out and practice face in the water, turn your head to the side and breathe, face back in the water. Keep kicking . Or use it closer and keep your face out of the water. You can hold it behind your head while you swim on your back too.

Front crawl just takes a rhythm. You don't need to take a breath every time, if you feel comfortable, take one every three or so strokes. Important to not bury your head too far underwater, and make your strokes smooth, reach with your cupped hands, don't flail or kick so much that you make a big splash. Try to keep it underwater with minimal splash. Good luck! Do they have adult swim classes?
Were you a swimming instructor or life guard?

I once drank a good portion of a lake trying to learn how to water ski. I'm pretty sure skiing is supposed to happen on top of the water.

Thanks! I have tried a kickboard but I feel like a fool as I don't seem to move very fast for some reason. I tried flippers but that did not end well. I am just pretty much self taught. The lifegaurd in the pool has given me some good tips. I know what you mean about the rhythm. My problem is after I take a breath learning to EXHALE in the water, & I learned tonight about keeping my face flat, or my ear in the water when I turn my head. I tend to want to lift my head to take a breath. It's like I understand how to do it & it gets frustrating that I just can't quite get it yet. I am determined to learn it as I love the pool. I appreciate your input.:)

bakechef said:
I once drank a good portion of a lake trying to learn how to water ski. I'm pretty sure skiing is supposed to happen on top of the water.

My first time I forgot to let go of the ski rope when I fell. "BLUB BLUB, Dad, BLUB, stop the boat! BLUB!"

Back
Top Bottom