Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Check into adult swim classes, they will really help with technique, SB. The key is to make yourself as aerodynamic as possible, which means keeping kicks underwater and pointing your toes, keeping legs flexible, turning rather than lifting your head, and overall reducing drag.

If you want to lift your head, I would recommend learning the breast stroke or side stroke. Very easy and relaxing.

Last edited:
Check into adult swim classes, they will really help with technique, SB. The key is to make yourself as aerodynamic as possible, which means keeping kicks underwater and pointing your toes, keeping legs flexible, turning rather than lifting your head, and overall reducing drag.

If you want to lift your head, I would recommend learning the breast stroke or side stroke. Very easy and relaxing.
I was going to suggest breast stroke or crawl. I find them more relaxing when I'm not in a hurry.

When I lived in Denmark, I went swimming almost every day. Danes do mostly breast stroke, but are aware of the crawl. I taught the lifeguards how to do sidestroke and showed them how to hold a person while doing breast stroke. They thought it was brilliant.

I was going to suggest breast stroke or crawl. I find them more relaxing when I'm not in a hurry.

When I lived in Denmark, I went swimming almost every day. Danes do mostly breast stroke, but are aware of the crawl. I taught the lifeguards how to do sidestroke and showed them how to hold a person while doing breast stroke. They thought it was brilliant.
when you do the breast stroke is it underwater?

when you do the breast stroke is it underwater?
There are a couple of ways to do the breast stroke. One has your head above water (the recreational method--doing a frog-kick), the other has you doing the frog kick and "bobbing" your head every 2-3 strokes (what you see competitive swimmers do). You can also do the dolphin kick with the breast stroke. I also find the side-stroke very relaxing--switching sides for each lane change. I like to do some breast stroke, side stroke, crawl, butterfly (the stroke I did competitively--not the easiest stroke to do), backstroke, and then back to the crawl, some skulling, some dolphin kicking holding a kickboard. I can spend 40 minutes in the pool flipping which stroke I do. I'm sure there are Youtube videos on how to do each of these strokes. I love to be in the water. The most important thing is to ENJOY it.

Mock Sour Cream

1 c cottage cheese (I use no fat or 2%)
1 T fresh lemon juice
1 T skim milk (or skim milk powder)
1/4 tsp salt

Run everything through the FP. One tablespoon has about 10 calories and 60 mg sodium. This makes about 18 1T servings. Add some chopped fresh chives or herbs, garlic. Great on bake potatoes or perogies when you realize you don't have any sour cream in the house.

Mock Sour Cream

1 c cottage cheese (I use no fat or 2%)
1 T fresh lemon juice
1 T skim milk (or skim milk powder)
1/4 tsp salt

Run everything through the FP. One tablespoon has about 10 calories and 60 mg sodium. This makes about 18 1T servings. Add some chopped fresh chives or herbs, garlic. Great on bake potatoes or perogies when you realize you don't have any sour cream in the house.

That's a good one the have, thanks CWS!

After the daughter's piano recital today there was a small reception with goodies & punch. I took a peanut butter crispy bar. I have not eaten anything sweet or baked like that in the last 23 days. After 1 bite I just could not eat it. I was suprised that I did not care for it. That is a first! I got 45 minutes in on the elliptical at home in the garage, sure glad it was a beautiful day outside today.

simonbaker said:
After the daughter's piano recital today there was a small reception with goodies & punch. I took a peanut butter crispy bar. I have not eaten anything sweet or baked like that in the last 23 days. After 1 bite I just could not eat it. I was suprised that I did not care for it. That is a first! I got 45 minutes in on the elliptical at home in the garage, sure glad it was a beautiful day outside today.

Good for you, SB!

And 45 minutes, wow! I usually do 30. At this rate you will be where you want to be much sooner than you think!

Last edited:

You just made the discovery that all diabetics make. You lose your craving for sweets. When I made the Chocolate, Chocolate Chip cookies from The Chew, I made them small. I then put them in the freezer. I also made about four of them the size of a Hershey's Kill. I baked a dozen on them today. I made two of the tiny ones for myself. I took one bite and had to spit it out. It was just too sweet. I asked my son to try one and he thought it was fine. I sent the rest of them home with him.

I have two favorite candy bars. Mounds and York Peppermint Patty. Last year I bought a Mounds on impulse. I took one bite, tried to swallow it it. I got so sick. I was out on my scooter and kept having to stop to vomit. And there was nothing in my stomach. Oh what fun I have! Lesson learned. :wacko::angel:

I know this probably sounds stupid, but because of various reasons, I've lost 30 lbs in the past year or so. I joke that the first ten I really, really worked at. The second ten was pure stress (taking care of parents). The third ten was that i had a fall and hip break and just didn't want to get up and eat.

The thing is that it puts me at the top of the charts for my height/weight, rather than being 30 lbs way overweight.

I don't like the way I lost it, but do want to keep it here. Plus, my husband and I have always been within ten pounds of each other, and I want him to come down to my weight. So that's what I'm working for right now.

I know this probably sounds stupid, but because of various reasons, I've lost 30 lbs in the past year or so. I joke that the first ten I really, really worked at. The second ten was pure stress (taking care of parents). The third ten was that i had a fall and hip break and just didn't want to get up and eat.

The thing is that it puts me at the top of the charts for my height/weight, rather than being 30 lbs way overweight.

I don't like the way I lost it, but do want to keep it here. Plus, my husband and I have always been within ten pounds of each other, and I want him to come down to my weight. So that's what I'm working for right now.

I lost weight because of stress and illness and stayed that way for 3 or 4 years. I just recently gained it back, I'm exactly the right healthy weight I should be for my height etc.
Thing is, I got so used to being underweight that I feel fat and uncomfortable now. Logically I know I'm still thin but gaining 20 lbs has made me feel huge :LOL:
My husband is exactly double my weight, he's 242 and I'm 121. It's almost strange, he was exactly double my weight even when I was pregnant and 191 lbs.
I gained masses of weight with both pregnancies and lost it after just a few weeks without trying with both kids too.
Tried on some of my jeans from when we stayed in Botswana, think I'll only get my right butt cheek in them now :LOL:
Gave them to my Daughter, she fits into them and she's 10. Guess I was way too thin. She's not a fat child.

Enjoyed going to deep water class tonight then right into aqua chi class after that. Eating light today. I am feeling way relaxed now.

I went to the pool again today but it was so crowded. They were teaching swimming lessons with kids under 8 years old in half the pool. I stayed for about a 1/2 hour the sat in the hot tub for 20 minutes. Did not feel like I got much of a work out today, plans to go to the other gym tomorrow.

I'm currently trying to shed about 10 to 15 pounds to make my doctor happy avoid the pre-diabetic range. I've spent my entire life yo-yoing from slim to fat to slim and back again. I'm almost 50 and I've decided that I have no desire to try for thin. I like food to much and I like cooking too much. I'm trying to find my happy balance by eating healthy most of the time and enjoying indulgences occassionally. I recently joined a zumba class which is great fun but truthfully I'm a hot mess since I'm rhythmically challenged. My biggest challenge is carb's. My dragon to be vanquished. I've made many changes to my diet but carbs are like my crack.

Carb Crack, absolutely! That's exactly what it's like! Good luck! I hope you stay away from the Diabetes end. It's no fun.

When I got home I really did not feel like exercising. It was our 26th wedding anniversary. Had to bring the cat to the vet. he had an abses from a cat fight. Then we all went out to a family restaurant for supper. Did not get home until 8 pm & it was real cold outside. I made up my mind I had to do it. The garage was cold but got on that elliptical for 1 hour. It was my first hour! It was not cold in the garage when I got done. My legs were a little sore today. Plans to go in the pool later tonight. My blood pressure was the best it's ever been for quite awhile this morning 137/74.
Happy friday to all!!

simonbaker said:
When I got home I really did not feel like exercising. It was our 26th wedding anniversary. Had to bring the cat to the vet. he had an abses from a cat fight. Then we all went out to a family restaurant for supper. Did not get home until 8 pm & it was real cold outside. I made up my mind I had to do it. The garage was cold but got on that elliptical for 1 hour. It was my first hour! It was not cold in the garage when I got done. My legs were a little sore today. Plans to go in the pool later tonight. My blood pressure was the best it's ever been for quite awhile this morning 137/74.
Happy friday to all!!

Happy Anniversary, Simonbaker and DH of Simonbaker! :flowers:

Good for you to brave the cold and the elliptical, and congrats on the lower BP!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom