"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 05-14-2011, 05:24 AM   #441
Master Chef

I've sort of given up on weight loss, and try to concentrate on healthy eating and exercise. Didn't we used to have a line on exercise? Can't find it. Anyway, my latest thing is that when I have to wait for my husband to do something (like when I accompany him to an appointment), I don't sit and wait for him. Weather permitting, I walk. I tell him where I'll be, more or less, so he can get in the car and find me. Why didn't I think of that years ago? The place where he has most of his medical appointments abuts a Wal-Mart, I can walk a mile or three while he's in there. The place we take the car for service abuts our closest mall. Again, I can walk miles while the car is being worked on.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:57 AM   #442
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I've sort of given up on weight loss, and try to concentrate on healthy eating and exercise. Didn't we used to have a line on exercise? Can't find it. Anyway, my latest thing is that when I have to wait for my husband to do something (like when I accompany him to an appointment), I don't sit and wait for him. Weather permitting, I walk. I tell him where I'll be, more or less, so he can get in the car and find me. Why didn't I think of that years ago? The place where he has most of his medical appointments abuts a Wal-Mart, I can walk a mile or three while he's in there. The place we take the car for service abuts our closest mall. Again, I can walk miles while the car is being worked on.
There is a thread on let's be accountable for diet & exercise under health & nutrition.
What a great idea to go for a walk while waiting. It's so simple but makes so much sense. Thanks for the tip.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #443
Master Chef

reducing kCals means weight reduction. expending more than the system can contend with results in weight loss.
we reach points where weight levels- for a time,- though ironically, level. increasing intake can undo this.
protein/ketosis diets work. rough on the kidneys, though. get fluids in. they make the stomach full & we need them besides.
fruits, veggies, lean proteins, & snacks like ricecakes & air-popped corn.
& fat increases satiety. so oddly enough, snacking on 'fattening' foods will make you less hungry. nuts, cheeses,..... i use more butter & whipping cream in my cooking than you'd begin to imagine. & i'm thin!!~..... i dine on that of my choosing & when i want, rather than when i 'should'. the second i notice a pang of fullness, i put the food aside.
this works, i sincerely mean that!~
Old 05-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #444
Head Chef

We went to eat out tonight, with a couple of friends. Like everyone else I got a burger, but it was a burger with guacamole and tomato and lettuce - and I cut it in half and took the rest home for tomorrow. Go me !
Old 05-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #445
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
We went to eat out tonight, with a couple of friends. Like everyone else I got a burger, but it was a burger with guacamole and tomato and lettuce - and I cut it in half and took the rest home for tomorrow. Go me !

Good for you....fantastic willpower!!
Old 05-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #446
Head Chef

Down 30 pounds since 12/1/10, slow but pretty steady. Doc told me I was 'pre-diabetic' and I want to stave off the diabetes for as long as possible. I have cut most carbs out--very little bread, noodles, rice, sugar, and I mostly don't miss them. (Until the folks at work start toasting bagels in the break room--aaarrrggggh.)
Old 05-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #447
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Down 30 pounds since 12/1/10, slow but pretty steady. Doc told me I was 'pre-diabetic' and I want to stave off the diabetes for as long as possible. I have cut most carbs out--very little bread, noodles, rice, sugar, and I mostly don't miss them. (Until the folks at work start toasting bagels in the break room--aaarrrggggh.)
Check out atkins.com there are bread recipies you can make that are low carb. & taste pretty good.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:35 AM   #448
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
That may have seemed slow, but that was 30 pounds in less than half a year! Congratulations.

Going slower means that your body has a better chance to adapt to the new weight and it is more likely to stay off.

Are you trying to lose more, or have you reached your goal weight?
Old 05-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #449
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I am still maintaining my weight, not happy about it, but my Doctor says I'm doing great. The meds I am taking are most of the problem.

Shrek, on the other hand, has lost 18 pounds with the new Diabetes medication. PM me if anyone wants to know about it and I can direct you to the website. We had a class on it at work and I was immediately sold on it for him.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:11 AM   #450
Cook

I'm on a high protein diet at the moment. I've lost about 17 pounds so far which I am really happy about. But, I've been tempted almost everyday for the past couple of weeks with something sweet. Cookies, Cake... tonight it was a banana split with gelato. Really strange because I'll barely have any carbs all day, do a nice workout and be doing well with the diet plan and then someone just pops up with a banana split or it's someone's birthday and there's a cake or I have an urge to bake some cookies (and I'm all excited about the art of baking a cookie)... it's like taking two steps forward and one step backward. It's not a cheat day it's a cheat hour - EVERYday!

I know the answer. Cut it out right? Yeah I know... I will (he said as he went to the kitchen to grab a cookie).