"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 05-18-2011, 11:48 PM   #451
Chef Extraordinaire

i know i am a wimp but have given up the calorie counting. it was just making me obsessed with food and made me nuts as well. back to cutting fat and sugar where i can and portion control. that's it. i am not worried about health, i am not that heavy. i know, excuses, excuses, but there it is.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:32 AM   #452
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i know i am a wimp but have given up the calorie counting. it was just making me obsessed with food and made me nuts as well. back to cutting fat and sugar where i can and portion control. that's it. i am not worried about health, i am not that heavy. i know, excuses, excuses, but there it is.
Babe, I gave up calorie and fat gram counting. Went back to how I was eating before and I'm back to losing weight. I think they were trying to starve me...I also don't have the cravings for sweets like I was having before while I was on that diet.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #453
Chef Extraordinaire

Baby steps for me. I weigh in every 2 weeks at the clinic. I lost 2 pounds in 2 weeks. Not to bad considering I had pizza 3 times last week as well as 2 homemade sugar cookies & famous dave's too. I am sure I would have gained if I would'nt have exercised on the elliptical. 26 pounds down total since early March.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:55 PM   #454
Chef Extraordinaire

I find that I don't gain now with dialysis but the minute I'm told no or don't I just have to!!! Anybody else feel like that? You know we have to give up so much in life I resent soemone telling me you can't have that well Crap I can too.
kades
Old 05-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #455
Master Chef

kadesie, you make me laugh! when i am told i cannot have an item, i find myself compulsively seeking & then ingesting said item. maybe i'm a a'lil rebel. 'cept i luv the stuff i luv & i shant part w/ it!!~
Old 05-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #456
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
kadesie, you make me laugh! when i am told i cannot have an item, i find myself compulsively seeking & then ingesting said item. maybe i'm a a'lil rebel. 'cept i luv the stuff i luv & i shant part w/ it!!~
I know sweetie. It's hard to have another adult give you orders. I find myself angry as a hornet at some of the people I have to deaal with. I usually end up giving in but there are times I get so angry my family runs for cover
kades
Old 05-20-2011, 04:16 AM   #457
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
I find that I don't gain now with dialysis but the minute I'm told no or don't I just have to!!! Anybody else feel like that? You know we have to give up so much in life I resent soemone telling me you can't have that well Crap I can too.
kades

I agree with you. I am fine as long as I have a choice and do not feel deprived.

The Buddha said " Desire is the source of all suffering"

I think he had a weight problem too
Old 05-21-2011, 09:01 AM   #458
Senior Cook

I have an app on my iphone that I use diligently to track what I eat and the calories I am eating. I enter my current weight and then enter my target weight and it gives me a "reasonable" daily calorie goal. When I enter a food, I can type in my own calorie count or the search function will let me search the food for the correct number of calories. It has helped me lose 32 pounds and now I'm within 3 pounds of my goal weight!!!
Old 05-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #459
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebLynn View Post
I have an app on my iphone that I use diligently to track what I eat and the calories I am eating. I enter my current weight and then enter my target weight and it gives me a "reasonable" daily calorie goal. When I enter a food, I can type in my own calorie count or the search function will let me search the food for the correct number of calories. It has helped me lose 32 pounds and now I'm within 3 pounds of my goal weight!!!

What is the app on your phone? Is there a cost involved? Is it a specific program that you signed up for? Sounds like a great way to be kept accountable. Congratulations on your weight loss!
Old 05-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #460
Senior Cook

Its an app for the iphone called "Lose it!". And its free! I think there's a website too, that you can upload the information I put in the phone to the website, but I never used it. I know the app is free, but I never visited the website. As far as I know, there's no "program" to pay or sign up for. I just use it as a tool on my phone because its always with me and I can enter information from anywhere.

It has been my right arm in my weight loss journey this past year. It adjusts the daily calorie goal as your weight goes down. Whenever you enter a new weight, it will make a slight adjustment to your calorie goal. For example, when I started at 157 pounds, it gave me a daily calorie goal of 1900 or so and now, at 125 pounds, my daily calorie goal is 1600. Once you reach your goal weight, it re-adjusts your calorie goal to "maintenance level" , once I get to 122 pounds, it says my calorie daily level should be 1800 to maintain that weight. It takes your age and height into account when you set it up for the first time. Then you can enter how fast you want to lose weight. I have mine set at 1/2 pound per week, but you can set it for more. That setting also plays a part in the calorie suggestion is gives you.

My favorite part is that it allows you to view a whole week at a time so you can see if your over or above your calorie goal for the week as a whole. This is great for me because I allow myself one "cheat" day a week, so if I go over one day, I can "make up" for it on other days of the week or by adding extra exercise. In addition, you can enter your daily exercise and it will calculate those calories and take that amount of calories off what you've eaten for the day or the week, so you can eat that much more wihtout going over (good for my cheat day).

Overall, its been the best tool for me. Of course, its only as good as the information you put into it.