Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The problem is getting the Happy Dance started on the inside soon enough it makes it to the outside so you CAN feel the floor shake...:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

The only Happy Dance I can do is to tap my toes. I used to kill myself dancing to Glen Miller music. Now if I can tap a toe or two I am very happy. :angel:

First all, Welcome!

We presently have a member Simon Baker (SB) who was told by her doctor in no uncertain terms, to lose weight. And we have been following her progress. All of us are so proud of her. Every so often her wagon tilts a little bit, but no major fall offs. And we will gladly give you all the support you may or may not need. Losing weight can often be a daunting task. It is so easy to get discouraged. But we will all be here to keep you going. There are a number of us who are Type 2 (T2) diabetics. I have noticed that folks who try to go by the diet of a T2 usually lose weight. Simply by eating the right foods and in small amounts. SB is finding that she is eating a lot less than she used to. She feels fuller with less food. The diet for a T2 will certainly not hurt you. As you may well know, sugar is the bain of the American diet.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. There is nothing we love better than helping someone. :angel:
Thanks for the kind words addie!!:) I started at 285# on August 20th & I weighed myself tonight, after swimming, at 255#. I must confess, I gained 3# over Thanksgiving. Granted, I have not been to the gym for 4 days either. It felt wonderful to get back to deep water class tonight. I am looking at it as a minor set back, getting right back up on that horse. :angel:

The wonderful support & great tips I get from DC is what helps keep me going! Thanks to all!!

simonbaker said:
The wonderful support & great tips I get from DC is what helps keep me going! Thanks to all!!

Great job, SB! Beagle weighs 23 pounds, you lost more weight than a full-grown dog weighs! 30 pounds, wow!

Last edited:
SB, go to the store and have fun with the butter display, pile 30 packages of butter in your cart and take a good look at it. That's how much you have lost by now. If you put the butter back, they will probably let you back in the store.:):LOL:

I'm also thinking the combined weight of 5 cats.

30 pounds of anything is a lot of weight to lose.

Thanks for the kind words addie!!:) I started at 285# on August 20th & I weighed myself tonight, after swimming, at 255#. I must confess, I gained 3# over Thanksgiving. Granted, I have not been to the gym for 4 days either. It felt wonderful to get back to deep water class tonight. I am looking at it as a minor set back, getting right back up on that horse. :angel:

That wasn't a setback, that was the treat I have been telling you to give yourself every so often. So you titled the wagon a little bit. At least you didn't fall off it completely. Keep it going. You are doing great. And you know we are all pulling for you. :angel:

Thank you all for the wonderfull support. Those are some great visuals pf & dawg., on the weight, I never really looked at it like that. It will give me something to think about when I am resisting the candy at nighttime. Dh has a real sweet tooth & there always seems to be so much candy around here. I can be sitting here on my lap top & this is where all my support is coming from. Thanks again!!

Two and a half hours of shoveling snow tonight. That should have burned some calories. I left for to visit the kids on Wednsday with a temperature in the mid 50's. i came back to find 2 inches of snow in my yard. By the time I got off work today, the plow had dumped a pile of snow 2 foot deep, by ten foot long, by 12 foot wide. And then there was the 12 inches of snow over the rest of the driveway, and covering the 20 foot pathway to my front door.

Around here, we don't need no stinking gym.:LOL: I'm gonna be sore tomorrow, I just know it.:(

I insist on manually shoveling my driveway, and walkways. It gives me that extra calorie burn, and helps condition my heart, lungs, and muscles.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, shovelling snow is probably great exercise. Just remember that it can be dangerous to your health if you aren't in shape.

Chief, shovelling snow is probably great exercise. Just remember that it can be dangerous to your health if you aren't in shape.

My heart, circulatory system, and bones are all in great shape. I keep active, though I can't swing a splitting mall like I used to. I am losing weight, and getting in better shape before I do get into such shape that I am in trouble. I look forward to shoveling as a way to get extra exercise. I'm also avoiding elevators. My goal is to get to about 150 lbs., and keep up a walking regimen, and lifestyle exercise rather than having to go to the gym. I enjoy walking a fishing stream. And to do that where I live, because the forest is so thick, and the landscape is rugged, you have to be in pretty good shape to do it, let alone wade a fast stream. Besides, how can you help a granddaughter or grandson fly a kite, or ride a dirt bike if you aren't in good shape. I did it with my kids, and will do it with my grandkids. If you can't enjoy life, then what's the use in living it. And for me, that joy comes from giving to my family, friends, and community, with a bit of fishing on the side for me.;)

Besides, what good is it to have created the world's best pancake recipe if I can't eat them once in a while? To do that, I have to be in better shape than I am now.:yum:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Good for you cheif! It's wonderful that you are incorporating the outdoors & you have the option to have such beautiful surrondings to live a healthy lifestyle. My option here is the bike trails through town, which we do occasionaly on weekends. Our daughter (13) came to the gym with me tonight & worked with a trainer. In the spring she wants to get back into discus & she wants to build up more strength to be able to throw it further/harder. So, while she was doing that I got 35 minutes on the elliptical, 10 minutes on the bike then did some weights for 15 minutes. Feeling better now, looking forward to the pool tomorrow night.:)

Last edited:
Good for you cheif! It's wonderful that you are incorporating the outdoors & you have the option to have such beautiful surrondings to live a healthy lifestyle. My option here is the bike trails through town, which we do occasionaly on weekends. Our daughter (13) came to the gym with me tonight & worked with a trainer. In the spring she wants to get back into discus & she wants to build up more strength to be able to throw it further/harder. So, while she was doing that I got 35 minutes on the elliptical, 10 minutes on the bike then did some weights for 15 minutes. Feeling better now, looking forward to the pool tomorrow night.:)

Any chance of getting Daddy into this and making it a family affair? :angel:

Any chance of getting Daddy into this and making it a family affair? :angel:
I wish I could get him too. I have tried countless times. I told him what you wrote & he says then who would come home & clean the house & wash clothes, it's a back & forth thing between us, but I keep trying.:angel:

It would be another shared activity...at least you both would have the energy to do the housework with all of you pitching in.

Back
Top Bottom