Who's Trying to Lose Weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is there a way to do it by making custard without the powder? I don't like some of the ingredients in Byrd's.

LIke I mentioned, you can use instant Vanilla pudding, or even a home made buttercream (not meringue style) with extra vanilla in it!

Okay, I need to get us off the subject of my greatest downfall (the N bars)!

It has been a rough week with appointments, spending all of Wednesday afternoon/evening and again Thursday morning with TB at the hospital (he is much better and going to our doctor today who will probably want extensive testing for diabetes). I had some cheats to my diet and while it didn't affect my weight so much it affected how I feel which is probably worse.

But as of today it is back to normal and I am going to try and do some good exercise on the weekend as well as healthy eating so I will be ready for Monday's weigh-in.

How is everyone else doing?

I went to Winthrop yesterday for my vitals and blood work. So she weighed me and entered it into the computer. Then she took a second look. "This has to be wrong." From 149 to 138 in two and a half weeks. "Someone made a wrong entry". I really didn't feel like a lecture, so I kept my mouth shut. It was right. And I can feel and see it in my clothes. I was in and out of there in fifteen minutes. If I had opened my mouth, I would have been there for a few hours.

I am so tired of all this health stuff for me. Just leave me alone. When something is wrong, I will tell you. I take my meds because if I don't I start to get chest pains and feel uncomfortable. Not a feeling I like. After all I am an adult and have all my faculties. I know when something is not right and when to seek medical care. I do have some intelligence. I am not a person who uses 'medical' to seek attention for myself. Fortunately, I don't have to go back to Winthrop until January and if I work it right it will be at the end of the month. Medicare only requires that they see me once a month minimum to check my vitals. So they can get paid. And I won't need blood work for another six months. :angel:

Addie, I totally understand about the whole doctor/health concerns thing. I was getting pretty frustrated with it myself.

But you do need to watch that you don't lose too much weight. This isn't a lecture, just a caring friend. And you are an adult who can do it on your own. I would have probably kept my mouth shut too! :angel:

Addie, I totally understand about the whole doctor/health concerns thing. I was getting pretty frustrated with it myself.

But you do need to watch that you don't lose too much weight. This isn't a lecture, just a caring friend. And you are an adult who can do it on your own. I would have probably kept my mouth shut too! :angel:

One of the things they don't take into consideration is that I am only 4'8" tall. I should weigh around 100 pounds. So any weight loss, is a good thing in the end. All the weight I have been carryingaround all these years is from having five babies. My concern was more on them than myself. You stand next to the stoveand eat what is left in the pot. You clean up their plates and eat what is left on. Not exactly the best diet to eat for about 15+ years. Then by the time you can concentrate on yourself, the weight has become part of your life and you don't really notice it. You put it down to middle age spread. Even your spouse has managed to put on a few pounds over the years. So you do't feel so bad.

In a way, I have been handed a gift. And if I use it wisely, I can get down to 100 pounds very easily. I don't get hunger pains. If I use the gift wisely, I can get there in six months or even less. I will take the six months or more. I am in no rush. Last night I had fried Haddock. The fish is good, the fryiing not so good. But considering how much I have had to eat this week, I can afford the frying. I just need to keep an eye on how much I am losing month to month. I don't want to raise any food suspicions. :angel:

Last night I didn't get to they gym as I was feeling under the weather. Today I didn't get done with work until almost 7 pm then had to pick the daughter up at school by 7:30. Again, no exercise. I have not had much of an appetite at all today. Hope it works to get in the pool tomorrow.

Last night I didn't get to they gym as I was feeling under the weather. Today I didn't get done with work until almost 7 pm then had to pick the daughter up at school by 7:30. Again, no exercise. I have not had much of an appetite at all today. Hope it works to get in the pool tomorrow.

Sounds like your body is making an adjustment to your diet. Something that happens every few months as the pounds come off. :angel:

Sounds like your body is making an adjustment to your diet. Something that happens every few months as the pounds come off. :angel:
I did not realize that was the reason, I figured I had a touch of the flu. Thanks for the tip! It feels like I am starting to come out of it tonight.:angel:

I did not realize that was the reason, I figured I had a touch of the flu. Thanks for the tip! It feels like I am starting to come out of it tonight.:angel:

You will also hit a plateau. Your body will be making changes. Your waist will all of a sudden appear, your bra will become too big and have to go over to another hook, your hips will start to fall off and you will have renewed energy. But you won't lose any pounds during this time. Don't get discouraged. In a couple of weeks, the pounds will start to come off again. Just keep sticking to your diet. You are do so good. :angel:

SB, I can relate to everything Addie said. When I lost weight a few years ago that was exactly what happened. I would have times where I couldn't eat a thing and was extremely active. Then there would be times of lethargy and I was eating amounts that were within my diet but I was figuring I was eating way too much as I wasn't losing anything. Then my body would "reshape". It was just my body and brain getting used to everything.

I had a rough spot yesterday. I had some fruit (yes, an orange and some berries) and I become so emotionally unstable I was yelling at everyone and everything in sight. Because mood swings have been something that has haunted me all my life I got scared and wanted to just quite this whole diet thing. But TB helped me through and I woke up this morning feeling less full of fluid and with a clear head. So I am ready to carry it through another day.

I guess we all hit plateaus and lows and it is good we have this thread to come to and keep each other strong.

SB, keep up the good work - you are doing so well!:)

Last edited:
Getting ready to go to the pool this morning. Starting to feel better this morning. Thanks to everyone for all the positive support it's great to wake up & starting reading all the positive feedback on DC, what a great way to start the day!

just stay away from carbs, excercise as much as you can handle, and eat more protein. The best way to loose weight is to gain muscle.

Take a few days each week and go swimming. Treading water is very low impact and uses almost all your muscles.

Be especially wary of carbs because whenever you eat simpler carbs such as potatoes/bread your body starts converting them immediately to fat by releasing a specific enzyme.

IMO you are beter off skipping simple carbs and eating small amounts of fat/sugar if you must to keep up your energy levels. (Keeping within your calorie count of course) Eat lots of salads......stock up on Beano ^^

just stay away from carbs, excercise as much as you can handle, and eat more protein. The best way to loose weight is to gain muscle.

Take a few days each week and go swimming. Treading water is very low impact and uses almost all your muscles.

Be especially wary of carbs because whenever you eat simpler carbs such as potatoes/bread your body starts converting them immediately to fat by releasing a specific enzyme.

IMO you are beter off skipping simple carbs and eating small amounts of fat/sugar if you must to keep up your energy levels. (Keeping within your calorie count of course) Eat lots of salads......stock up on Beano ^^
Great advice, thank you! I try to eat a well balanced diet but I do have a difficult time getting my protein intake in everyday. I am not a huge fan of meat. I have tried several different protein drinks & shakes from homememade ones to boughten & I just cannot tolerate the taste. Egg whites help as well as beans, milk & cottage cheese. I appreciate your input.:)

Great advice, thank you! I try to eat a well balanced diet but I do have a difficult time getting my protein intake in everyday. I am not a huge fan of meat. I have tried several different protein drinks & shakes from homememade ones to boughten & I just cannot tolerate the taste. Egg whites help as well as beans, milk & cottage cheese. I appreciate your input.:)

Check the recipe I recently posted. HQ protein, tastes great, very inexpensive, pretty healthy.

The Muscle milk Naturals strawberry flavor tastes very good, flavored with Stevia.
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=CY-7033#.UNFf7SAbbgE

Last edited:

I still think a balanced diet with good portion control and exercise is what works the best, making sure you are getting the nutrition you need without depriving yourself. So far you are doing an excellent job, SB and losing weight at the correct rate. Keep up the good work!

I haven't had much of an appetite lately except when it comes to sugar lol, I'm always ready for sugar!

I've lost 2 pounds over the last week, which is good, I've been stuck at the same number for a couple months. I may hunker down at the beginning of the year to lose more!

I still think a balanced diet with good portion control and exercise is what works the best, making sure you are getting the nutrition you need without depriving yourself. So far you are doing an excellent job, SB and losing weight at the correct rate. Keep up the good work!

I totally agree with the Princess, SB! You are doing awesome. There will be peaks and valleys but on the whole sensibility in diet, exercise and attitude are what it takes and you have it.

I didn't lose any more on my Monday weigh-in but I am not discouraged. I didn't gain either. I know that I now need to add more exercise to the equation and that will come. I have to do it slowly because of all my conditions but I am positive I can. I saw a new exercise machine that I may want to look at for when I can't get to the pool but it will be an after Christmas purchase!

Back
Top Bottom