"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 10-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #511
Assistant Cook

I fill 3 mugs with water each morning, the goal being for the mugs to be empty by noon. Repeat for afternoon. Have a glass of water before dinner to curb my appetite, then one right after (so I know not to go overboard on dessert!). Done. 8 glasses.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #512
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I quit smoking 14 July. I knew I would gain some weight. I have already gained 20 lbs and I needed to lose about 10 when I quit.
This is unfortunately why I am reluctant to quit smoking. I know that sounds really bad...

Old 10-29-2011, 01:24 PM   #513
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I quit smoking in January, I've gained 10 pounds, but only in the last 2 months. Now I'm back where I started 5 years ago and have 40 pounds to get rid of.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #514
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciaKay76 View Post
<...I lost 125lbs and since they see me smaller they want to be healthy as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPoppy View Post
I've recently helped my dad to lose weight.
>...and he lost almost 70 pounds already. <...my sister did the same on her own, with a lot of sports and she lost 85pounds already.
DeliciaKay76 and PPoppy, you two are inspirations to all of us! You've accomplished so much with your efforts!

I'm seriously impressed with both of you!!!!

Congrats, and keep up the fantastic work!
Old 10-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #515
Master Chef

I quit smoking a couple of years ago using Chantix and it worked great for me but, I did gain about 20 pounds. That came off pretty quickly with diet but now I have been struggling with the ancient fat. That has been more difficult for me. Since I developed diabetes the disease and the various medications have made it tougher for me to lose. I have finally stopped dieting and have begun to eat a diet based on the calories needed for a person of normal size. My theory is that I will learn how to eat normally and the weight will go on its own. So far this is working for me. I am trying to incorporate some exercise into my life and that is the hardest thing for me to maintain on a daily basis. With winter coming I think I will start walking the mall. I can use retail therapy to take my mind off of the exercise. I just need to sprint past the food court.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #516
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Retail therapy
Old 10-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #517
Executive Chef

i hope no one regrets having quit smoking, or goes back to it because of weight gain. i made at least 20 serious attempts to quit smoking over a 25 year period,--even succeed on two occasions to stop for over a year. when i quit for good, (i think it's for good) my weight gain didn't taper off and stop like before. i've been struggling with weight on and off these last 19 years--but age, metabolism and other factors are the causes, not cigarettes. quitting smoking was the best thing i ever did in my lifetime, for my lifetime, to achieve a healthier body. nobody knows how much body damage can be reversed by giving up smoking. i do know that i am grateful every day that i'm no longer a smoker. every day i also wish i had quit many years sooner....
Old 10-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #518
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I quit smoking 14 July. I knew I would gain some weight. I have already gained 20 lbs and I needed to lose about 10 when I quit.

quitting cigarettes is a real victory for life, breath and health, taxlady, congratulations! weight challenges can be tough, but you can tackle them too...
Old 10-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #519
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

You guys are all heroes in my view! Nasty habit to try and kick.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #520
Master Chef

I keep telling my doctor that in the last 2 years that I quot smoking I am less healthy than I ever was. I gain total of about 30 pounds, and first 20 i was kind of ok, but last 10 really are hard.