"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 12-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #541
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
Thanks! I feel better and sleep better.
I'm diggin't the GQ pose in the last shot! Lookin' good, man!

It's that time of year for me also. I am on a mission to lose 10 lbs. Not so much the weight, but getting myself firmer. I really let things go in the second half of this year.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #542
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I really have to do something about the weight. I wanted to lose about 10 lbs and then I quit smoking in July. I gained over 25 pounds.

Maybe I'll do low carb in the new year. I gained weight the last time I quit and I lost 50 lbs with the Atkins diet. It took over a year, but that's okay, it took five years to gain back the 10 lbs that were excess prior to quitting this time.

DH wants to try a diet with low glycemic load.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #543
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop
I have started to really watch what I eat. If I want something I will eat some but I no longer stuff myself. I do eat a lot more real food and mostly stay away from fast and processed foods. Its hard since I travel for work but the results are worth it.

Now it is harder to drop the pounds but the fat is still coming off.

Before I my pants waist size was 38 now I wear 34's and they are loose.

Me March 2010 in Pakistan @ 265lbs.

Me about two weeks ago in Cali, Colombia @ 200lbs.
Congrats!

I too have taken on a similar way of eating, more natural, less processed, and I have found that losing the weight and keeping it off has been pretty easy. I just need to get a bit more focused and get rid of the last 20. I have found maintaining the 70 LB. weight loss pretty easy just by putting better quality foods in and keeping portions reasonable.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #544
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I really have to do something about the weight. I wanted to lose about 10 lbs and then I quit smoking in July. I gained over 25 pounds.

Maybe I'll do low carb in the new year. I gained weight the last time I quit and I lost 50 lbs with the Atkins diet. It took over a year, but that's okay, it took five years to gain back the 10 lbs that were excess prior to quitting this time.

DH wants to try a diet with low glycemic load.
I feel your pain. Quit smoking 6/7/11, and as of last week checkup, gained 40 lbs. Plus I retired 10/10, and thats not helping. The MD told me to quit smoking, but he didnt say to quit eating. Sal.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #545
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvy View Post
I feel your pain. Quit smoking 6/7/11, and as of last week checkup, gained 40 lbs. Plus I retired 10/10, and thats not helping. The MD told me to quit smoking, but he didnt say to quit eating. Sal.
Before I quit, my doctor said not to worry about the weight gain with the quitting smoking. I could deal with that later.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #546
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Before I quit, my doctor said not to worry about the weight gain with the quitting smoking. I could deal with that later.
Kinda what my MD said. 20-25 lbs would be normal, but 40 lbs? Sal.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #547
Master Chef

For me this is a constant battle!

I have been focusing on eating the calories for what should be my normal weight.

Only eating small amounts of carbs that have, for me, a high WOW factor.

Eating only until I am not hungry instead of until I am full.

Walking daily for exercise. I set the timer on my phone for 15 minutes and see how far I can get then head home when it rings.

I am losing slowly and am very pleased that so far this eating season I am still losing.

It gets boring and tedious but, for me it is better than the very strict diets I went on when I was younger. I still am annoyed that I have gotten to the point in my life where I can finally afford to buy a decent automobile and most any food but now I have to walk and restrict my eating. Life does not seem fair!
Old 12-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #548
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I've lost 20 pounds in the last two months. Shrek has lost about 40 pounds since July. We have cut portions and restricted sugars. It's working well for us.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #549
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I've lost 20 pounds in the last two months. Shrek has lost about 40 pounds since July. We have cut portions and restricted sugars. It's working well for us.
How's the quit smoking going? When was it you quit?
Old 12-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #550
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm in the "should be losing weight" category. I've dieted successfully more than once including losing 43 pounds after a heart attack almost 9 years ago. My Dr. pushes me and threatens that diabetes is around the corner.

I just can't get motivated to make the effort. Food just tastes too good. I have never been a regular exerciser. Any exercise I do is related to dieting. I even have an exercise machine I bought so I would have no excuse for not exercising. I know exactly where it is too.

I see this as an addiction. I'm addicted to eating. Some laugh when I say this but I'm convinced it's as much of an addiction as smoking or illegal drugs.