"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 12-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #551
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
How's the quit smoking going? When was it you quit?
1/8/10...first heart attack 1/9/10. I'm doing well, don't even think about cigarettes. Chocolate on the other hand... I got up to 183 from 173 in about 2 months when I went off the Chantix. My yesterday weigh-in...162.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #552
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm in the "should be losing weight" category. I've dieted successfully more than once including losing 43 pounds after a heart attack almost 9 years ago. My Dr. pushes me and threatens that diabetes is around the corner.

I just can't get motivated to make the effort. Food just tastes too good. I have never been a regular exerciser. Any exercise I do is related to dieting. I even have an exercise machine I bought so I would have no excuse for not exercising. I know exactly where it is too.

I see this as an addiction. I'm addicted to eating. Some laugh when I say this but I'm convinced it's as much of an addiction as smoking or illegal drugs.
Most of our food "addictions" are started when we are babies. Depends on what our mothers gave us when we were little. They are finding in some studies that babies fed with a low salt solution in water have a preference for salty foods when they are toddler age. The studies are still in their infancy (pun intended) but are showing promise in dictating sweet or salt preferences.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #553
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm in the "should be losing weight" category. I've dieted successfully more than once including losing 43 pounds after a heart attack almost 9 years ago. My Dr. pushes me and threatens that diabetes is around the corner.

I just can't get motivated to make the effort. Food just tastes too good. I have never been a regular exerciser. Any exercise I do is related to dieting. I even have an exercise machine I bought so I would have no excuse for not exercising. I know exactly where it is too.

I see this as an addiction. I'm addicted to eating. Some laugh when I say this but I'm convinced it's as much of an addiction as smoking or illegal drugs.
Maybe you should think about driving your grandson to the prom!

It seems that in order to be successful we all need a reason outside of ourselves.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #554
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't try to lose weight--I just try not to gain weight. I have a pair of jeans from 1987. If they still fit, I'm okay. Otherwise, no pasta, bread, alcohol, or ice cream for a week. I don't own a scale--I own a pair of jeans that tell me if I'm gaining weight.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #555
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I don't try to lose weight--I just try not to gain weight. I have a pair of jeans from 1987. If they still fit, I'm okay. Otherwise, no pasta, bread, alcohol, or ice cream for a week. I don't own a scale--I own a pair of jeans that tell me if I'm gaining weight.
You forgot no life.Sal.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #556
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvy View Post
You forgot no life.Sal.
What do you mean? I eat very well--including FRESH eggs several times / week. I just don't eat a lot of carbs or processed foods. I cook with butter, whole milk, cream. I juice my own fruit juices. I don't eat snacks--except for pretzels or popcorn once in awhile. I don't eat sweets (don't really like sweets since I cut sugar from my diet more or less). I also make my own bread, but don't make bread that often. I probably eat more protein than anything. I love protein--eggs, roast beef, and steak. I also don't eat out--can't afford to do so. Everything in moderation.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #557
Chef Extraordinaire

spent about 2 hours on line today. ordered my groceries for jan. lots of healthy veggies, and fish, chicken. no sugar jam, lots of fruits, fresh and juice. getting set for the big start diet on the third. i have to do this this time. i have no energy, forty extra pounds wears me out, just carrying it around.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #558
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
spent about 2 hours on line today. ordered my groceries for jan. lots of healthy veggies, and fish, chicken. no sugar jam, lots of fruits, fresh and juice. getting set for the big start diet on the third. i have to do this this time. i have no energy, forty extra pounds wears me out, just carrying it around.
Good luck! And, I've heard that turning on the radio and dancing helps--haven't tried it, the local radio stations are talk shows, but it makes sense.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #559
Chef Extraordinaire

[QUOTE=CWS4322;1088480]Good luck! And, I've heard that turning on the radio and dancing helps--haven't tried it, the local radio stations are talk shows, but it makes sense.

thank you for the luck. i have a recumbent bike. just have to get back on it.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #560
Chef Extraordinaire

[QUOTE=babetoo;1088487]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Good luck! And, I've heard that turning on the radio and dancing helps--haven't tried it, the local radio stations are talk shows, but it makes sense.

thank you for the luck. i have a recumbent bike. just have to get back on it.
You go, girl. One of the machines my mom used at PT in August/September while I was there was a recumbent bike. She's now able to walk 1/4 mile/day thanks to the strength building exercises. These were paid for by MediCare because they were ordered by her doctor. For her, it was fun. Maybe your doctor could order you to go to PT for a bit to help?